• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

first vintage buy

turbomilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
San Diego CA
So i have a couple ARs and an ak but i decided i want to buy a vintage gun. i was thinking of purchasing a mosin but i dont know much about them. You usually can find them at big 5 around where i live and they usually have a bunch to choose from. I wasnt sure if there were specific things to look for to ensure i get a good running gun. Also if there are some years that are better than other or if its better to go with a hex or a round.
Thanks for the help

Re: first vintage buy

I think the Hex is more collectable, I have a round and it shoots just fine. Look for a year that means something to you, there is plenty to choose from and enjoy shooting her. great buy.

I'm a believer in reading up on old rifles before making a purchase. There's always a lot to learn on something that was in production for 60+ years across different countries.

Can recommend "The Moisin-Nagant Rifle" by Terence Lapin (North Cape Publications) as a good place to start.

I picked my Mosin Nagant ($99) because; one It had matching numbers; two it was in great shape; and (3) Ammo was only $99 for 440 rounds. I may go back and pick up the older Mosin Nagant that was made by Remington...$250

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAGON64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked my Mosin Nagant ($99) because; one It had matching numbers; two it was in great shape; and (3) Ammo was only $99 for 440 rounds. I may go back and pick up the older Mosin Nagant that was made by Remington...$250 </div></div>

First go here and read:
http://7.62x54r.net/

Next, get the Remington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 303_enfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First go here and read:
http://7.62x54r.net/

Next, get the Remington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

The stock on the Remington looked pretty close to oily firewood, but it sure was a nice rifle nonetheless...battle-hardened and the like.