• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fixed or variable Scope

dldavis

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
San Antonio,Texas
I find myself never coming off of maximum power on my scopes. This got me to thinking? Why am I buying variable power scopes?
I am not a competition shooter, but most of my recreational shooting is between 200 and 1000 yards. And I never come off maximum power.
Why do I not see more fixed power scopes From high-end manufactures?
Are they out there and I’m just not seeing them?

Part of it is marketing, This way people can pick the power they want from a range of options and they do not have to guess at what people want and missing the market if they are wrong. I have a couple of fixed power NF competition 40X scopes and used to use some fixed 36X Leupold scopes, but not sure the market is set on this segment.

Reactions: dldavis
What kind of animal stays at Max power??

I usually shoot my 25x at 12-22x depending on how much eye box I need, how much detail I want to see, and how much field of view I want. 18x is where I default to though.

The only advantage to a fixed power is that the eye piece is cheaper to manufacturer and there a teeny bit less chance of water getting in. They're still using the same erector setup and should still be ffp if it's a long range scope.

I ALMOST got a USO FDN FX10 (Fixed power), but went with a 10X (Variable) at the last minute, because why not, for $200 more? Better to have it and not use it, than need it and not have it, even if the scope tunnels at low power like it does.

I like my swfa though. I've got no complaints with it, but I'd have just as few complaints if it were a 2-10x.

When the only difference is cost, and you're already buying a $2k+ optic, budget savings of $250 are kind of a moot point.

Last edited:
It’s completely application dependent. If you’re shooting 600yd benchrest on a static range with a 70lb railgun a fixed 40x scope makes a lot of sense. But if you’re hiking around the woods with a Mk12 on your back you’d be a fool not to have a variable scope, they are so much more versatile.