• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Food riots thread…and energy.

Being a carnivore has never been so expensive. According to the USDA, beef prices soared to another record high this week, and are expected to face a 100% increase next month compared to the same period a year ago. Steaks will likely be out of the dinner table of many Americans in the coming months as shortages already started leaving grocery shelves empty. Even cheap meats like ground beef are about to shoot up in price due to the lowest supply in decades, the Department said.
The nation’s shrinking cattle herd combined with surging input costs at U.S. farms and ranches have pushed wholesale meat costs to over $8 per pound, official data shows. Analysts predict that the figure could jump above the $ 10 mark in December due to the seasonal spike in demand. As a comparison, beef costs in 2022 were hoovering around the ten-year average of $5 per pound. The rapid price appreciation means that you will have to pay double what you paid a year ago to bring your favorite cut home this winter.

Being a carnivore has never been so expensive. According to the USDA, beef prices soared to another record high this week, and are expected to face a 100% increase next month compared to the same period a year ago. Steaks will likely be out of the dinner table of many Americans in the coming months as shortages already started leaving grocery shelves empty. Even cheap meats like ground beef are about to shoot up in price due to the lowest supply in decades, the Department said.
The nation’s shrinking cattle herd combined with surging input costs at U.S. farms and ranches have pushed wholesale meat costs to over $8 per pound, official data shows. Analysts predict that the figure could jump above the $ 10 mark in December due to the seasonal spike in demand. As a comparison, beef costs in 2022 were hoovering around the ten-year average of $5 per pound. The rapid price appreciation means that you will have to pay double what you paid a year ago to bring your favorite cut home this winter.

Now chicken is high too. About to be a lot of vegetarians.

America is changing faster than a person can comprehend. Sometimes we need just a little nudge to pull one of our goals off the back burner and re-visit the concept. A short read with some basic reminders.

Reactions: nikonNUT
It hasn't brought up steer prices significantly in my area....the price raises aren't coming from farmer's raised costs., and they have gone up a lot.
Cattle prices here are good, but if you look at input costs you are correct. The retail consumer, however, is getting a worse deal. Going to local beef men/women may be the better option. If you can find them. But if everyone went local I’m sure the .gov would step in to stop that. You know, lobbyists and whatnot.

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
There is a recent thread in the Pit: Low Testosterone , the discussion has a mixed contribution of replies.

Looking at current information along with advertising both erectile dysfunction and low testosterone are, frequently

mentioned. Could a connection exist with commercial hormone use in animals produced for human consumption

and the rise in both low-testosterone and it’s side affects? Starting in the 1950s DES (diethylstilbestrol) hormone use

in cows, lambs, and chickens by the early 1970’s research was indicating a connection of cancer in women & their

children. At first it was believed to be over use of DES was a factor and regulation on dosing was introduced but by

1979 the FDA removed DES as a hormone treatment. Of course moving forward other hormone treatments for livestock

have been introduced and enhanced. Have we systematically over 7+ decades poisoned our food supply by believing

science to improve the harvest? By introducing these chemicals into our bodies have we over time weakened the

homeostasis human ability.

Third world. Watch shoppers at the open air markets of the world... They inspect, feel and smell all food items for sale.
Trust your nose... Law's of Nature.
In third world countries they buy what’s available. Fly covered meat is gtg. So is anything else. Hunger fixes all sorts of preselection issues. Bush meat, overripe produce, all good. Hell, I have seen kids with hardly any clothes pick up plastic and chew on it that used to have whole pieces of sugar cane. And women buy meat for their families most in the western world wouldn’t feed to their dogs.

Last edited:
In its 59th year, the National Corn Yield Contest saw nearly 7,000 entries from farmers in 46 states. Entrants across the 10 production categories, including the pilot category for nitrogen management, Class J, had verified yields averaging 269 bushels per acre, compared to the projected national average of 173 bushels per acre. This includes a new national record yield of 623.8439 bushels per acre from David Hula in Charles City, VA, besting the previous record of 616.1953 bushels per acre.

Energy:

A fifth of global oil trade this year was settled in currencies different from the U.S. dollar as countries such as Russia and China move away from the petrodollar.

This is according to JP Morgan’s head of global commodities strategy, Natasha Kaneva, who spoke to the Wall Street Journal and said sanctions have been a major motivator for Russia and Iran to start doing their oil business in non-dollar currencies.

“The U.S. dollar is getting some competition in commodities markets,” Kaneva said, just a day after news broke that Russia and Iran have agreed to completely stop using the U.S. dollar in bilateral trade.

Energy:

A fifth of global oil trade this year was settled in currencies different from the U.S. dollar as countries such as Russia and China move away from the petrodollar.

This is according to JP Morgan’s head of global commodities strategy, Natasha Kaneva, who spoke to the Wall Street Journal and said sanctions have been a major motivator for Russia and Iran to start doing their oil business in non-dollar currencies.

“The U.S. dollar is getting some competition in commodities markets,” Kaneva said, just a day after news broke that Russia and Iran have agreed to completely stop using the U.S. dollar in bilateral trade.

I'm not an economist but just wondering if the shift in petrol-dollars could have a silver lining. Could this be a way for us to become more energy independent?

In other words, it might become more economical for us to harvest more oil, gas and coal from home. Most of the time, it has always been more economical to use home-grown energy sources but with this latest trend, could it swing back in our favor if we act appropriately?

I'm not an economist but just wondering if the shift in petrol-dollars could have a silver lining. Could this be a way for us to become more energy independent?

In other words, it might become more economical for us to harvest more oil, gas and coal from home. Most of the time, it has always been more economical to use home-grown energy sources but with this latest trend, could it swing back in our favor if we act appropriately?
My barometer of that situation is the "Strategic Petroleum Reserve" known as the SPR.
When American's get notice that the SPR has been topped off with West Texas Intermediate (WTI) that will verify that the administration is ready to get down to business.
If the SPR gets refilled with high sulfur oil from some third world country, all bet's are off.

A balanced budget and full SPR will send a message to the rest of the world. Without these two events the USA will continue down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: Longshot231
My barometer of that situation is the "Strategic Petroleum Reserve" known as the SPR.
When American's get notice that the SPR has been topped off with West Texas Intermediate (WTI) that will verify that the administration is ready to get down to business.
If the SPR gets refilled with high sulfur oil from some third world country, all bet's are off.

A balanced budget and full SPR will send a message to the rest of the world. Without these two events the USA will continue down the rabbit hole.
The US leadership in government and in private industry is working hard to destroy the US as we knew it. It’s on purpose, not by accident.

So here we are, the Biden administration has directly said, “We have to reduce emissions from the food system.” The SEC proposed a rule that would force farmers and ranchers to report their greenhouse gas emissions. Then the USDA just so happened to spend $3 billion to get corporations and ag associations to convince farmers and ranchers to help them develop the technology that would make it convenient and easy to report greenhouse gas emissions and measure the greenhouse gas reductions of some practices.

This is not about climate. This is about freedom. Once emissions are convenient and easy to report they will be convenient and easy to regulate.

Yeah, because stealing an election and allowing 10M illegal aliens wetbacks into the US is "slow and covert".
Well, there is no significant or coherent response against these things, so as long as the financial starvation does not begin too soon, the majority will keep their heads in the sand.

1705194129815.jpeg

I’m not a beefologist, but are beef prices like lumber prices?

All through the last several years of craziness lumber prices (milled) went through the roof, but stumpage prices didn’t budge.

The money was in milling, not trees in the ground.

Is it that way for ranchers? Pennies per lb for live cattle, and then $5 per lb for ground beef?

All through the last several years of craziness lumber prices (milled) went through the roof, but stumpage prices didn’t budge.

Is it that way for ranchers? Pennies per lb for live cattle, and then $5 per lb for ground beef?
A little different than trees / lumber. Cattle have to be moved / sold when they are ready. Unlike a tree that can just sit there and grow... Unless there is a wild land fire.
1707584163446.png

Continuing ^^^^^

I have feeder cows all over my area. Watching them being brought down for calving season.
Fortunate to have an actual packing operation here where I can get meat.
Prices at the packing place run noticeably higher than at the chain grocery stores in the area.
Quality is much more noticeable, also. I don't buy grocery store meat.

Reactions: 91Eunozs

It can happen like that, but our input costs are increasing as well. I sold some calves a couple weeks back and got $1092 for a 455 lb heifer. I have to cover all my costs with that, so it isn’t pure profit. Then that calf goes on to a feedlot and processing, then it gets shipped to whatever store, which adds cost to the buyer.

We eat our own cattle so we don’t buy from the store. But some of the costs I have seen on some cuts when I walk by makes me wonder which middle man between the rancher and consumer is making bank. Especially when I see the huge price difference between a high end grocery store and a standard one for the same cut.

I am of the hard opinion that buying meat from a GOOD local rancher is better and cheaper than the store, but that comes with the need for a freezer, etc.

It can happen like that, but our input costs are increasing as well. I sold some calves a couple weeks back and got $1092 for a 455 lb heifer. I have to cover all my costs with that, so it isn’t pure profit. Then that calf goes on to a feedlot and processing, then it gets shipped to whatever store, which adds cost to the buyer.

We eat our own cattle so we don’t buy from the store. But some of the costs I have seen on some cuts when I walk by makes me wonder which middle man between the rancher and consumer is making bank. Especially when I see the huge price difference between a high end grocery store and a standard one for the same cut.

I am of the hard opinion that buying meat from a GOOD local rancher is better and cheaper than the store, but that comes with the need for a freezer, etc.
That answers the question for me.

It used to be semi-worthwhile to let loggers come in and log off property.

Years ago I realized I was getting boned when it came to the prices of what I got paid for stump lumber VS what a board went for anywhere. That’s why I invested in a mill.

I buy all my beef from local farms. There are about 5 near me (within an hour drive) that will sell direct to the public. Some require at least a 1/2 cow purchase, but others do not have a min.

One is doing great for themselves and built a building on their property that fronts to a road and is now open more than just Sat/Sun. They are branching out into selling other things from other local farmers too. I have been doing this for a couple years now. Some farms have higher prices than the grocery store (not by much), others are the same as the grocery store, but the meat is way better.

I haven't seen prices rise at all compared to what beef is costing in the store. I sold a load 2 weeks ago and averaged 1.89 to 2.28 a pound for 350 to 550 pound calves. Same price range as when there was no politically orchestrated beef shortage and price hike in the grocery stores.

"I just think a lot of people don't know where food comes from. They don't understand the distribution system. If they understood how that works, that there's about two weeks worth of food in any distribution system around the United States, once those systems start to break down, the availability of food is going to drop to near zero. And so what people think they have in their cabinets that will help them survive is very different than actually sitting down and doing an analysis of caloric intake for your family, what they need for not just survivability, but maybe even thriveability," he said.

My big concern is that the smaller processing houses will be bought up by the big two mentioned in Beck's video. This will put a strangle hold on the small mom and pop feeder cattle producers.
Think Amish and Mennonites.
I've used both and lemme tell ya, the local Mennonites will process a hog and smoke the best ham I have ever had for a very reasonable rate.
You cannot slow roast the hams, you just heat it for 45 mins to an hour or it will just fall apart it is so mind numbingly tender.
Gah, making me hungry for ham now.

Think Amish and Mennonites.
I've used both and lemme tell ya, the local Mennonites will process a hog and smoke the best ham I have ever had for a very reasonable rate.
You cannot slow roast the hams, you just heat it for 45 mins to an hour or it will just fall apart it is so mind numbingly tender.
Gah, making me hungry for ham now.
Yeah,
But the Amish are experiencing the same, and in some cases, worse treatment from .gov abc agencies. Let's not forget the Amish milk producer that we all heard about. My guess is that .gov really has them in the cross hairs.