• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Full Size a loaded round?

clay_breaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
North Texas
My full size .308 Die was about a turn from being screwed all the way down and I loaded about 30 this way before I caught it. They will chamber, but it is very tight. Could I remove the the decapper/neck sizer, and run the loaded rounds back through the Full size die to correct this? I know it just a little big at the web. Never done it before, but I think I've heard of others doing this. I used the search, but came up empty on this.

Re: Full Size a loaded round?

Can you do it...probably. Is it safe... probably not

I wouldn't run a loaded and primed round back through a die.

I would pull apart the rounds and start over. Better to spend 30 extra min rather than risk blowing something up.

would there even be clearance for the bullet?

also whatever is supposed to size the outside of the neck will prob jam because theres a bullet blocking any compression

I guess I have a different take-- if you chamber the round, you are effectively resizing the case with your chamber. If you have no problem doing that, then resizing on a press should pose no more hazard. In fact, on a press it's away from your face....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insectguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I have a different take-- if you chamber the round, you are effectively resizing the case with your chamber. If you have no problem doing that, then resizing on a press should pose no more hazard. In fact, on a press it's away from your face.... </div></div>

In a press theres nowhere for the bullet to go if it needs to bail.

And id imagine some of the base of the brass might be exposed if at some point there was some cause for it to pop. leading to a bit of shrapnel damage.. or the die could act like a pipe bomb...

I dont see any reason that the round would set off... but would you risk it?

NOOOO!!! dont do that unless your using a bushing f/l die. You will most likely get a loaded round stuck in your f/l die. That will piss you off.

you need a body die , or bushing f/l die , or pull the ammo apart and re-size it. The body die is 25 bucks from redding , i would get or pull the bullets. If you dont have a puller get one , but not that stupid plastic hammer. Collet type bullet puller is what you want.

standard f/l die that doesnt use a bushing = NO!!!! for your own sake dont do that.

OK, I won't do it just for safety's sake since you guys are afraid of it. I have a puller, I'll just put in the labor for not paying more attention. I still don't see what would set it off, though.

I learned more about reloading by messing things up. Then taking it all back apart so I can start over. Broke two .223 depriming pins before I learned about crimped primers.

+1 for Mallard's accessment.

Get you a body die and use that. A FL Sizer will not have enough clearance in the neck for a loaded round.

I have used body dies on loaded ammo before, they work fine for that purpose, but it is really not a recommended practice.

There is at least one other thread here on the subject, search for more info.

Paul

I've done it before but was not comfortable with it. The safest way is to use a collet bullet puller, empty the case, and start over.

They will chamber, just tight. If I just shoot them, they will still be tight next time if I only use the collet/neck size die on them, right? To get them back into spec I would have to shoot them and them Full length size them again. I don't like full sizing, but these were all shot in an M1A last time, not a bolt gun.

Think I will just pull em and do it right. Could had probably done it already in the time I have been talking about it.

If they were shot in a different gun you should full length size them before you shoot them.

clay your are right they would still be tight if you resize the fired rounds with a neck die and eventually they'll get stuck after you fire them , then you'll need a rod to knock them out.

You have to unfortunately go the long way , you will have to full length size those cases eventually if you plan on shooting them more then once.

ya , i dont like pulling bullets , it damages match bullets. I guess those turn into foulers , or rapids.

30 rounds aint so bad , i've pulled more for stupid mistakes. HA , when i first got into reloading i pulled apart mil-surp ammo, the primers and powder was corrosive but the bullets were salvageable. Ha , i won't do that again. I had to seat the bullets deeper to break the crimp loose
frown.gif
lots of work. But , better then duds.

If you take off you depriming pin you won't press out your primer. I had to do 25 rounds a few months ago in a body die. Remember to lube when use a body die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I won't do it just for safety's sake since you guys are afraid of it</div></div>
This would have been a much more informative thread had you gone with your first instinct and resized the loaded rounds. Next time ''do'' first and "ask" later.

Absolutely NOT! If the round gets stuck in the die you will next be trying to pull a LOADED and PRIMED round out of the die and that is a recipe for LOOSING A HAND OR EYE.

Every reloader should own a bullet puller so they can take apart their mistakes.

Chambering them in a rifle if they are tight is probably ok, depends on how tight is tight, not totally safe but lots safer than full length sizing a loaded round. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!

IF the rounds are just slightly oversized in the web area, you can do this.

Using a LEE Carbide .45ACP resizing die, with the decapper assy removed (so the top is open). You can run your rounds through this die and it will resize the web ONLY. The bullet will come up through the top of the die and NOTHING else will be touched. You can put a tiny amount of lube at the web to make everything go smooth.

So, we finally get the rest of the story.... sure would have been nice to know they had been fired in an M1A to begin with.

Nothing like trying to help out when you've been given the run-around from the beginning.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IF the rounds are just slightly oversized in the web area, you can do this.

Using a LEE Carbide .45ACP resizing die, with the decapper assy removed (so the top is open). You can run your rounds through this die and it will resize the web ONLY. The bullet will come up through the top of the die and NOTHING else will be touched. You can put a tiny amount of lube at the web to make everything go smooth. </div></div>

Thanks Buff, that is the kind of info I was looking for.I havent checked this post in a while, and in the meantime I pulled the bullets and sized the cases them correctly, but I have a carbide .45 die set and that info is good to know in case I ever do it again.