• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

G7 range finder - too good to be true?

Re: G7 range finder - too good to be true?

For you long range guys, if you can justify the $1500 price tag, it might be the ticket, IF it truely does all they claim.

Leica here I come.

Someone needs to mount engine on weapon and run results to scope lens as a plug in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MB198</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone needs to mount engine on weapon and run results to scope lens as a plug in. </div></div>

AGREED!!! 100% something tiny and unobtrusive, OR new rifle scope with it built in like the illuminated reticles. it probably only needs a tiny chip to do it.

Zeiss has had this for ages now,

both in there RF but also in there Diarange scopes,

just press button, get range and dope, shoot.

Leica 1600 has the same features.

I still find that without a full out adjustable "engine" for balistics in the RF or Scope and the ability to easily adjust for, temp, baro, incl and alt there is little gain in this feature.

Sure for lesser than 400 meter shots perhaps at large game but still for shots a little knowledge goes a long way.

Hmm one added thought, the guys behind the product are striking me as becoming more serious than before, same dudes behind "Huskemaw" but now detached from that brand name, I quite like the stuff the put up online and some of there thinking for shooting.

/Chris

The thing we need to know is what the beam dispersion will be. If it is not small enough, the rest will not matter.

Any more new info on this? Has anyone had the chance to check on out and really use it?

why do I feel uneasy about a claimed 2k plus range finder with goodys that is allbut unknown ??glass quality -dispersion rady rah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gooseklr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any more new info on this? Has anyone had the chance to check on out and really use it? </div></div>

They are for sale at this website for $1600
http://www.gunwerks.com/Gunwerks-Store/Optics/G7-BR2.aspx

My Leica 1600 which is half that price just ranged off of some trees, tripod mounted, out to 1901 yards. Not sure this G7 is worth the money.
1901.jpg

1601.jpg

bump for update. The g7 seems different from the lieca in that instead of a generic ballistic curve it is custom matched to your rifles trajectory for up to 5 presets. And it gives you a shoot to readout in MOA so you can dial and hit. If it's ballistic curve is accurate i think it's worth the money. I only wish it was in a Bino configuration.

Does anybody here have one that they have tried ranging and hitting targets in field conditions? How accurate was it?

I have have friend of mine in arizona that just ordered a new G7. Were going to meet in colorado in about 2 weeks to do some testing on the new unit. It got alot of bells and whistles and the price too match.

In my experience, most anything you'd range on far enough out to require ballistic corrections is pretty much unaware you're there and not moving much, if at all. Sure, it might be nice to have one device, but can something really be made that will accomodate all the variables and allow for easy input?

Given that you probably have some time, it would work most of the time to just have a good quality rangefinder w/o bells and whistles, then a mobile device with a ballistics calculator. You need to take into account BC, muzzle velocity, atmospheric pressure, temperature, wind, wind angle and LOS angle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pitch fork</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have have friend of mine in arizona that just ordered a new G7. Were going to meet in colorado in about 2 weeks to do some testing on the new unit. It got alot of bells and whistles and the price too match. </div></div>

So how did the unit perform and under what type of conditions / landscape?
cheers,
LW999

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bump for update. The g7 seems different from the lieca in that instead of a generic ballistic curve it is custom matched to your rifles trajectory for up to 5 presets. And it gives you a shoot to readout in MOA so you can dial and hit. If it's ballistic curve is accurate i think it's worth the money. I only wish it was in a Bino configuration.

Does anybody here have one that they have tried ranging and hitting targets in field conditions? How accurate was it? </div></div>

I have it. I've posted my impressions (overall good) in another thread in the equipment forum.

The ballistic curve, from my limited testing, has been within 0.1 mil of my other ballistic programs. (.308 and .260). Ranging is faster than swaro and ARC1600. Display visibility (4 level adjustable) was good during night and bright sunlight.

Negatives:
-price
-output is only moa
-I wish it had azimuth

Will be playing with one next month and will get some pictures of it and report back.

Thank you Gunwerks for lending us a unit for the shooters at the Findlay Cup to get a hands on & give it a try.

I need some clarification on one point. Does the G7 only calculate in MOA?

My scopes (as are a lot of other folks) dial up in milradians. As high powered a processor as it claims to have, (angle, wind, temp, baro pressure, ballistics, etc.) I would hope it could do a simple conversion from MOA to .mil.

Can someone confirm whether is can do .mil dial ups?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macdaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some clarification on one point. Does the G7 only calculate in MOA?

My scopes (as are a lot of other folks) dial up in milradians. As high powered a processor as it claims to have, (angle, wind, temp, baro pressure, ballistics, etc.) I would hope it could do a simple conversion from MOA to .mil.

Can someone confirm whether is can do .mil dial ups?

Thanks </div></div>

I can confirm, it only does MOA. I've suggested that that is a trivial firmware change to add...

I do the conversion in my head, but I spend all day doing that... Shouldn't really be necessary, they can fix it.