• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas tube fitment issues

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I bought a Aero M5 enhanced and one of their rifle length tubes along with a Rainier match 18" rifle length 308 barrel.

There is a shoulder on the Aero gas tube that stops it from going into the upper any further, this is how it lines up. I have a Superlative Arms adjustable block coming tomorrow but this doesn't look like it lines up right. What do you guys think? I guess I will know for sure once the gas black gets here. The 3rd pic is with the tube turned upside down, pushed into the upper as far as it will go just to show where the holes are in relation to each other.

I have built other Aero enhanced uppers and don't remember having this issue.

Attachments

• 20240508_170903.jpg
    20240508_170903.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240508_170919.jpg
    20240508_170919.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240508_170944.jpg
    20240508_170944.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 58
Where does the gas tube sit in the gas key inside the upper? Almost looks like a Rifle+2 gas tube...
Never built a AR10 but a 15 sticks out more than that

Attachments

• 20240508_184528.jpg
    20240508_184528.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 37
Aero's gas tubes: Pistol length 6.6875", Carbine length 9.8", Mid-Length 11.75”, Rifle length 15.125"

Never built a AR10 but a 15 sticks out more than that
If the gas block is set where it is supposed to be and the gas tube is into the upper, looking directly down to the gas tube...where does it sit in the key (see image example I've attached). The attached pic is how the gas tube sits in the gas key for my Aero M5 upper, with the gas tub & gas block properly aligned over the gas port on the barrel.

Attachments

• Gas-Tube-Post#42Drill-Out copy.png
    Gas-Tube-Post#42Drill-Out copy.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: mtrmn and LRRPF52
If the gas block is set where it is supposed to be and the gas tube is into the upper, looking directly down to the gas tube...where does it sit in the key (see image example I've attached). The attached pic is how the gas tube sits in the gas key for my Aero M5 upper, with the gas tub & gas block properly aligned over the gas port on the barrel
It would be about like that if I could get it into the upper more but the shoulder on the tube hits the hole in the receiver extension it goes in.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I see what you mean in your 2nd photo. Have you tried contacting Aero ?

Every typical rifle length gas tube I have looks like yours ( has that shoulder ).... I would suspect, Aero barrel nut is wonky.

Maybe try running a hand held drill bit through the barrel nuts gas tube channel, feeling for burrs ?

Last edited:
BTW, the gas tube isn't slightly bent , where you are attempting to insert it ? ... or the tube stops at the raised point.. period. ( just a thought )

No its definitely the little shoulder stopping on the opening of the hole the tube goes in. I don't remember gas tubes having little shoulders like that.

Google says your not the only one. References to anodizing being too thick on the M5 upper or gas tube is out of spec at that shoulder. I believe that shoulder is supposed to sit against the upper.

Try the cheaper reversible option of another gas tube.

Reactions: jLorenzo