• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GemPro 250 Scale (UniqueTek) Review

71firebird400

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A friend talked me into purchasing one of these scales so I thought I'd write up a little review. Previously I was using a Lee Safety Scale, which has reloaded nearly a thousand 308 without flaw but I've never been a fan of how long it would take the scale to settle down and I found the overall process to be stressful. I know some people love their beam scales, and I'm not here to say one's better than the other, but I definitely prefer this digital scale.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Background on the scale-</span>

$199 normal price, but it's on sale this month for $169. I wasn't sure about $200 on a scale when, like I said, the Lee appeared to be fine but a bit cumbersome. Regardless, my friend reassured me he was very happy with his so I went ahead and placed my order.

<span style="font-weight: bold">First Impressions-</span>

The packaging the scale arrives in was quite a bit better than I was expecting- they didn't skimp out on the plastic case it comes in and I appreciate that. The scale comes with a powder tray (that I have not used), an ASTM Class F2 20 gram check weight, a set of tweezers, and an anti-vibration pad.

In addition to the factory instructions explaining the features and programming options, the owner of Uniquetek includes a supplemental sheet that has some FAQ's and some tips regarding scale accuracy. Also, the owner of Uniquetek includes his own calibration test, where he weighs the included 20gr check weight 14 times over 4 hours. I was impressed by this, as I tend to fear I'll always be the one that gets the lemon. Him checking that the scale was working properly before it ships definitely adds a degree of confidence in my book. One thing that is brought up is to let the scale adjust to your ambient temperature for at least 24 hours before using it, and to always allow a 5 minute warm up period when using the scale.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Performance-</span>

To be honest, repeatability is the most important thing to me. Sometimes I would go back and weigh powder charges that were already in the brass on my Lee scale and it would come up a little bit heavy or light; which I found frustrating. After giving the scale the 24 hours the instructions called for I fired it up- using the 20gr check weight the scale would return to 20.000 about 80% of the time, the other 20% it would show 20.001 or 19.999. I never saw any deviation further than those extremes.

In weighing powder charges I noticed that I can move much quicker than with the Lee beam scale. Response time on this digital scale is between 2 and 3 seconds when I timed it with a stop watch. Trickling was another thing I looked forward to testing. By just screwing around with Varget, I had determined that a single granule weighs about .02 grains. Using the supplied tweezers, which work very well with Varget, I can move single granules fairly easy. Trickling one granule at a time does not always show a heavier weight, but I have found that by applying *SLIGHT* pressure to the scale and then releasing it will 're-weigh' the powder and the single granule difference WILL show up. If I trickle 2 granules a time, the scale appears to react consistently and show the new weight everytime (without tricking it into re-weighting).

One trick I have learned to use, is that if my dropped charge comes in at 43.92gr, I will throw 8 granules of Varget and that will come up with 44.00gr just about everytime. Sometimes you'll get a longer or shorter granule of Varget, and that can throw off the exact number of granules required.
One thing I am especially pleased with is that I can pull out individual cases with the weighed charge in them, dump the powder out on the scale and, so far, it always comes back to 44.00gr.

On another note, I had the same friend who owns this scale send me some pre-weighed bullets from his reloading supplies to use as check weights for my Lee scale. In weighing these bullets that he sent me I've found that my scale registers the exact same weight that his did. This is reassuring that there is a lot of consistency from scale to scale and that on top of being precise it is also accurate.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion-</span>

I am thrilled with this scale, which is really why I'm writing this review. I wish I had gotten this back when I first started reloading, it has made weighing charges a simple task that doesn't require half the concentration that using the Lee scale did. Also, it has sped up my reloading time significantly, and that alone made the purchase worthwhile. While I don't expect to see any shocking improvements other than trimming out the occasional flyer this has made me more confident in my ammunition and has simplified the process greatly. I will come back and post an update when I get a chance to shoot the new ammo (I have 20 rounds loaded using the new scale, and 40 rounds loaded using the old scale so that should give a decent comparison).

289ya6e.jpg

Re: GemPro 250 Scale (UniqueTek) Review

Thanks for posting this review, I was looking to purchase this scale and feel better about getting it now.

The big question is what are your b4 and after ES/SD readings, my 155 Scenar load went from mid 20s(Chargemaster) to low single digits when I got my Gen1 Prometheus, same load same cases same primer same seating depth, the only difference was scale. To prove it's accuracy and repeatability chronograph data is needed, and not just one session.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The big question is what are your b4 and after ES/SD readings, my 155 Scenar load went from mid 20s(Chargemaster) to low single digits when I got my Gen1 Prometheus, same load same cases same primer same seating depth, the only difference was scale. To prove it's accuracy and repeatability chronograph data is needed, and not just one session. </div></div>

I have a healthy distrust of any chronograph; I think they're good for getting an idea of where your MV is but as an electrical engineer I have my doubts about anything outside of laboratory equipment costing tens of thousands of dollars producing 100% reliable and accurate numbers. With that said; 308 SD numbers hover around 6-9FPS, 338 SD is around 9-12. Can't remember what it was with the old scale, I'd have to go through a lot of data and crunch the numbers to come up with anything useful.

This scale noticeably decreased vertical spread in my groups. Group sizes have visibly shrunk slightly (no more 'random' flyers that are outside of the group) but that could be attributed to the scale or to me improving as a shooter. Who really knows. Overall I have a lot of confidence in this scale; I've gone back and re-weighed enough charges to check it's repeatability and it has continually impressed me.

Not trusting chronographs is because you bought\used a Chrony Chrony, 35p or PVM21 read consistent and accurite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trusting chronographs is because you bought\used a Chrony Chrony, 35p or PVM21 read consistent and accurite </div></div>

Thanks for taking the time to assume I use a "Chrony Chrony", maybe tomorrow you can start your own thread about what dies/brass/bullets/powder I use as well?

Here's a hint; it doesn't take much to find accounts of people having issues with their 35p. No chronograph is 100% reliable. I'd rather use vertical spread at long distance (>500 yards) to test my SD/ES, because at the end of the day those are just numbers and group size is the result. If groups are good, then we can assume ES/SD are fine.

With that said, this is a fine scale with repeatable results and that is all I can really ask for.

I've been using a Gempro 250 for about 2 years now. Best scale I have ever owned by far. My experience with it was the same as discussed above. This scale allowed me to take my reload accuracy to a different level. Every rifle I own suddenly got significantly more accurate once I started using this scale.

This is indeed a very nice scale. I’ve had mine for about one year now and it is working well. The only thing I would suggest doing is to purchase a 50.00 gm calibration weight so that you can do the linear calibration – I found a reasonable price one at Grangers.

I just recently acquired one of these and must say I absolutely love it. It makes my reloading so much more pleasureable not having to watch and wait for a beam scale to settle.

To those of you who use the GemPro 250...do you close the plastic cover every time you weigh a charge or just when you calibrate or just leave it open? Do you think it would affect readings having it open for some charges and closed for others during a single session? Any thoughts on how it compares to the scale on the RCBS Chargemaster (obvisouly the GemPro doesnt throw charges, just talking about the scale itself). I've been kinda torn between these two units and would of course like to get the best one.

going from that shit lee scale im not surprised you were happy with your results, can the gempro 250 show weight differences for a single kernel of powder ? how bout flake powder ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going from that shit lee scale im not surprised you were happy with your results, can the gempro 250 show weight differences for a single kernel of powder ? how bout flake powder ? </div></div>

Yes, it shows the weight difference for one kernal of powder. Not sure what you mean by flake powder, so can't help you there. Lee scale was surprisingly accurate (I cross checked it) but balance beams take more patience than I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those of you who use the GemPro 250...do you close the plastic cover every time you weigh a charge or just when you calibrate or just leave it open? Do you think it would affect readings having it open for some charges and closed for others during a single session? Any thoughts on how it compares to the scale on the RCBS Chargemaster (obvisouly the GemPro doesnt throw charges, just talking about the scale itself). I've been kinda torn between these two units and would of course like to get the best one. </div></div>

I don't bother with the plastic cover, I am in a calm room with no open windows or any heating ducts near the scale so I don't have a problem with air currents. I'd assume the GemPro is more accurate than the scale that comes with the RCBS but you have to ask yourself if it's a measurable difference in the real world, which I'm not really sure of myself. People tend to like their Chargemasters for the price point, so I'd assume they are quite alright for most shooters (myself included, I'm not BR guy).

Hmmm, im not a BR guy either but I like the idea of having complete control over my charges. Guess I just need to decide if I want it to throw the charge for for almost twice the price or do it myself. Thanks.

I haven't tried the 250 model but I have been using a GemPro 500 model for about 4 yrs now. The 500 model weighs only to .05 grains but that's close enough for me when it's repeatable. I found out that my 505 and 10-10 beam scales were only good to .2 grains also with this scale. Did I mention repeatable?

I was chuckling listening to the conversation from a couple of competitors last weekend at a match, how much their powder weight varried from humidity mosture absorption (which does happen) but since I purchased the 500 model, I never see over a .05 difference in weight. I just recently pulled down some old IMR 8208 loads from last yr and double checked the weight and it was what I had recorded on the box when I loaded them.

I'd have to agree also with the poster, Varget, about 2 kernels to the half-tenth of a grain.

I use the pan from my old pact scale as it has a bit higher sides and seems to work better, 120 grain weight. I use the pan as a check-weight every load and add the powder weigh to it, ie. 120 + 43.8 = 163.8. I want to try the RCBS 9090 pan but never remember it when I have an order out.

Another trick on using a digital scale is to zero it every time you weigh something. It's one of the SOP's in the lab at the plant where I work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't tried the 250 model but I have been using a GemPro 500 model for about 4 yrs now. The 500 model weighs only to .05 grains but that's close enough for me when it's repeatable. I found out that my 505 and 10-10 beam scales were only good to .2 grains also with this scale. Did I mention repeatable?

I was chuckling listening to the conversation from a couple of competitors last weekend at a match, how much their powder weight varried from humidity mosture absorption (which does happen) but since I purchased the 500 model, I never see over a .05 difference in weight. I just recently pulled down some old IMR 8208 loads from last yr and double checked the weight and it was what I had recorded on the box when I loaded them.

I'd have to agree also with the poster, Varget, about 2 kernels to the half-tenth of a grain.

I use the pan from my old pact scale as it has a bit higher sides and seems to work better, 120 grain weight. I use the pan as a check-weight every load and add the powder weigh to it, ie. 120 + 43.8 = 163.8. I want to try the RCBS 9090 pan but never remember it when I have an order out.

Another trick on using a digital scale is to zero it every time you weigh something. It's one of the SOP's in the lab at the plant where I work.

</div></div>

Have you noticed or been able to quantify a difference in weight when you zero after every measurement versus say zeroing after every 20, 50, whatever measurements?

If you don't zero after every weight, when you put the pan back on the scale after the 3rd or 4th time, it will start to float off by about .05 grains and gets further and further the longer you go.

If anything, this scale controls the "float" better than most of the "Reloading Brand-name" scales do. That's what you pay for.

Gotcha, no biggie, doesnt take any time to zero. Think I'm gonna spring for the 500 as it would be nice to have that extra capacity available if needed. Im sure if I got the 250 I would instantly find some use for needing more than the 775gr (or whatever it is) capacity of the 250.