• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

GET YOUR SURPLUS AUTHENTIC M24!

Re: GET YOUR SURPLUS AUTHENTIC M24!

3 additional threads already going in addition to this one.

It's less than 2000 guns according to the flyer, which is probably about all the US Army really has.

The military sniper community is very small and there are probably 3-4 issued M24's for every one school trained sniper in the Army at any given time.

The Army has many more than 2000 M24s in the inventory, they are only buying 2000 XM2010 rifles which are being built off 2000 existing and returned M24's receivers. Everything else on the XM2010 is a new product. Army Times says that there may be as many as 3600 XM2010s in the next 5 years.

I for one don't understand why the Army in it's infinite wisdom decided to use the old receivers on this new platform when Remington has the MSR with is a multi-caliber, multi-barrel modular system that would have given way more bang for the buck.

Sent them an E-mail- shit I hope the price is reasonable and I'm able to get one!!!

EODsix-
It's a simple reason really- procurement procedures are much easier when simply upgrading an existing platform than adopting and buying an entirely new system. Going this route essentially allows them to get what they want, from Remington without doing extensive test trials and funding for a NEW weapons system. Easier to get funding for upgrading an old one.

Yea but the ONLY thing they're keeping is the receiver. Every other part is new and untried. Well it is tried in Afghanistan already but still. Remington still makes new production M24s, why not use a NEW M24 receiver if they want this platform instead of cloaking this as an upgrade program?

I'm more interested understanding why the Army implemented the M110 SASS to replace the M24. But now wants the XM2010?

Cause then they are buying NEW guns- also difficult to get funding appropriated for. Lets be honest, "Upgraded" "Enhanced" "rebuilt" all sound a shit load cheaper than "New". It's likely irrelevant if it is or isn't cheaper- it's all about selling the program. The Army needed something better and it seems to me anyway, that this was the best way for them to get what they need on budget and be able to sell the purse holders on it.

I agree myself- makes little sense to keep old receivers and have everything else brand new... IF the option is there to go with a brand new receiver too. It may have just been the sacrifice they had to make to sell the program.

Locked and Loaded- that was what you would call a misunderstanding between snipers and procurement officers.

We never wanted the M110 to replace the M24... and the idea was never fielded for that purpose. But when it makes it to the top, assumptions are made, cuts happen... Someone likely figured "oh- it's a new 7.62 SWS... obviously we are replacing the old system with the new one. And that's how the procurement was written. In reality, the whole intent was to have a SASS which would work well as an urban rifle, or a spotters rifle, and retain the M24 in one configuration or the other for longer range work. So, it wasn't without bumps along the way, but ultimately we are getting what we asked for- Three separate rifles for three separate roles (urban and higher volume fires, extended range and anti-material).

Like I said- it was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line on what the community wanted... they were doing their best (for what that's worth anyway) to give snipers what they wanted, but there was a disconnect somewhere.

"Upgraded" "Enhanced" "rebuilt" ...yep, those are definitely safe-words to be used when requesting Congressional funding
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Locked and Loaded- that was what you would call a misunderstanding between snipers and procurement officers.

We never wanted the M110 to replace the M24... and the idea was never fielded for that purpose. But when it makes it to the top, assumptions are made, cuts happen... Someone likely figured "oh- it's a new 7.62 SWS... obviously we are replacing the old system with the new one. And that's how the procurement was written. In reality, the whole intent was to have a SASS which would work well as an urban rifle, or a spotters rifle, and retain the M24 in one configuration or the other for longer range work. So, it wasn't without bumps along the way, but ultimately we are getting what we asked for- Three separate rifles for three separate roles (urban and higher volume fires, extended range and anti-material).

Like I said- it was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line on what the community wanted... they were doing their best (for what that's worth anyway) to give snipers what they wanted, but there was a disconnect somewhere. </div></div>

That is a very well stated response DP425, and likely close to the actual truth. It could also be said the M110 was just an interim weapon to carry the force over until the XM2010 entered service? That subject is going to be one for the history books to argue, yes?

No, I agree with DP425, the M110 fits a different niche than either the XM2010 or the M24 in any configuration. The M110 is much better for a target rich environment for much quicker target acquisition. Frankly I still think the M24 as a viable weapon system standing along side the M110, the XM2010 and the M107, though I personally don't like the space age platform of the XM2010. Too many nooks and crannies an hang ups for "wait a minute" vines and such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, I agree with DP425, the M110 fits a different niche than either the XM2010 or the M24 in any configuration. The M110 is much better for a target rich environment for much quicker target acquisition. Frankly I still think the M24 as a viable weapon system standing along side the M110, the XM2010 and the M107, though I personally don't like the space age platform of the XM2010. Too many nooks and crannies an hang ups for "wait a minute" vines and such. </div></div>

I tend to agree on the chassis- of course, I've not carried one so I can't say for certain if it's a problem... but it seems it could be. But at the same time, some might say "that's what a drag bag is for".

I also agree that the M24 could be retained and still fill a role- thread the barrel, put in DBM, upgrade the scope. But, it's also an expense in program maintenance and sustainment that one could argue isn't really necessary anymore. Hard to justify retaining a weapons system that has so much over-lap with an upgrade being fielded; the niche it would fill would be quite small between that of the SASS and .300WM.

Anyway, back to topic- Has anyone emailed Rem Defense about this and received a reply? I know I'm being impatient as hell, but I emailed them last night and haven't received anything yet. I like how a lot of sites send you a confirmation email that they received your message. Apparently rem defense doesn't do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 additional threads already going in addition to this one. </div></div> make that 6!

It's been a few days since I emailed an I haven't heard a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's been a few days since I emailed an I haven't heard a thing. </div></div>

I shot them an e-mail and several days with nothing also.

Anyone heard anything?

I ended up mailing a letter, I could never get the send button to work on the e-mail site.

Just a question:
Why wouldn't CMP get these? Isn't that what the place was set up for. They were supposed to get these rifles into the hands of civilians after the military was done with them. Does it have something to do with a "loan" of rifles that I have heard of or not?

The process of reconfiguring the M24 to the XM2010 apparently involves stripping the old rifles, retaining the receiver and replacing everything else. The receiver is considered the weapon, since it contains the serial number. Thus the military isn't selling their rifles, just the spare parts no longer needed. Remington is simply selling a rifle composed of the spare parts taken off the old rifles during the reconfiguration process mounted on a new receiver.

I don't believe the military has released any modern weapons through the CMP program.

I spoke with a remington defense rep the other day and, unfortunately, I just got the canned answer that the press release was the only information that he had at the time and that they would be releasing more information in the future. This was probably a little over a week ago... I definitely want to be in on the ground floor on this one when these things start coming around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAPTNAVAIR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone heard anything back from Remington? </div></div>

does anyone know if the M24 A2 or A3 made it out to the troops or were they just proposed upgrades?

Aggie- if any A2/A3 conversions were done (and I believe the 25th ID, at least one BDE had some, if not all of the A2 upgrades done when they changed to .300WM a few years back), they were at unit level, DA never picked it up.

Has anyone got any kind of response from Remington? I emailed and wrote them a letter but have not got any response.