• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

glass bedding gone bad

Boyscout618

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
DC area
ok, so I outgrew my M70 youth model 7mm-08 a couple years back, so my dad got a aftermarket boyds laminated stock for it. well, the dang thing didn't fit great, so I had to cut and carve and sand away at it for a while to make it fit. Once I got it semi-fitted, I left it as is for a while. I took it out shooting with it, and realized it didn't shoot as well as my M700 cdl in 7'08 (approx. 2.5" groups @ 100 yds vs 1.5-2"). So I took the 700 during deer season. Well, I came back after hunting and decided I would try to fix the stock. the first thing I noticed was that the barrel was rubbing against the channel, obviously a big no-no. So I tried to free-float it by sanding away the inside of the channel. Didn't work, it didn't free-float it after sanding for quite a while. So I did some research and bought a glass-bedding kit from Midway USA. The first attempt at bedding the recoil lug and first 2 inches of the barrel channel went ok, but I accidentally left some air pockets when I screwed the action into the stock. Attempt #2, I didn't get the mixture-ratio exactly correct (because that stuff is a BITCH to mix)so the bedding came out kinda sticky, or tacky, depending on your descriptive word choice. Either way, I eventually got the barrel free-floated with some assorted files (the thing was warped as hell), and plan to take it to the range tomorrow. My question is: how will this bad bedding job affect the accuracy, and is there anyway to fix it short of carving out the bad parts and redoing it?

0408112159-01-1-1.jpg

this is the first attempt, you can see the big air bubble at the top center portion and at the base of the barrel channel. (sorry for the crappy photos, took them with my cell phone)

Results from range and more pics coming tomorrow, provided it's nice enough to go shooting.

Re: glass bedding gone bad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
how will this bad bedding job affect the accuracy</div></div>

Only one way to find out. Shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and is there anyway to fix it short of carving out the bad parts and redoing it?</div></div>

Not really.

Josh

Give it a try, it may work. Maybe try a friendlier epoxy next time if it doesn't work out.

I use Marine Tex when I bed stocks. That stuff is great and easy to mix. Never had a problem with it. Also, if you mess up, it's not all that hard to remove with a chisel/flat head and a small hammer. Just have to make sure not to chip the stock.

Some air bubbles won't hurt as long as they are concave in nature.

Marine Tex is one of the better epoxy mixtures you can use. It's easy to get, inexpensive, and very easy to work with. The only time it stays tacky is when you use to much hardener. Good luck.

I had great success with Devcon and the bedding tutorial in the Gunsmithing forum. Stickied thread, so it's second or third from the top.

I'm no expert (by a long shot, only bed one rifle so far), but I'd read the above mentioned thread and redo it.

+1 on the shoot it and see what happens

If it doesn't shoot well, you don't need to remove all existing bedding material....just scuff it up with some 60 grit paper and try again.

Devcon is the way to go, it provides the strongest, most solid base out of your choices.

Well, not what I was hoping for. At all. I fired two single sight in shots at 50, then went to 100. The results are as fallows, in order of groups. I was aiming for the top of the boldest diamond for each group. Got it (fairly) adjusted after first group, then went from there.
100_1202.jpg

100_1203.jpg

100_1204.jpg

100_1205.jpg

100_1206.jpg

100_1207.jpg

That last group is only two shots, and perplexes the heck out of me. Makes me wonder where the last one would have gone. Keep in mind, I hadn't fired through this rifle for almost a year. would it have need an excessively long break-in? I've only put maybe 200-300 rounds through the barrel. One of the problems may have been the fact that some of the rounds had a hard time feeding into the chamber; I would fire, rack the bolt back, push a new cartridge in, but then I had to use excessive force to get the bolt down. They would come out just fine. I checked the empties afterwords, and some of them were bloated a little above the extraction groove. I also noticed that some were Remington brass, others were Winchester. A different guy that reloaded some for me asked me a while ago if I wanted him to use both. He said he would have to resize the winchester, and I don't know if the other guy did or not. I was using reloads, 140 grain Combined Technology ballistic silvertips. Obviously not a target round, but I was shooting the same stuff last time I used the rifle and was doing way better. There was a fairly stiff wind and a few hard gusts, but I am betting that it was mostly the malfunctioning ammo. I got some other stuff, and I'm going to try again on Friday. I have gotten 1-1.5 inch groups with my m700 in the same round with different bullets, so it's (hopefully) not me. Overall: not happy. If friday doesn't go good, may just scrap the project. My step brother is going to be hunting with it this year anyway, and he is going to need the youth stock on. Any helpful comments are appreciated!

As a side note, whenever I take the barreled action out of the stock it comes away with a sticky residue left on the underside of the barrel from the bad bedding. I am assuming this is not supposed to happen.

Here are some additional pics of the rifle.

100_1208.jpg

It's a really nice looking stock, but if it keeps shooting like this I may end up burning the dang thing.

Tacky substance left on rifle barrel:

100_1220.jpg

The bad parts of the bedding:

100_1216-1.jpg

and I don't know if this is a major problem, but the barrel isn't free-floated consistently all the way around. It never touches the channel, but the distance is different on one side compared to the other.

100_1214.jpg

Okay, so now you know how not to bed a rifle.......

1.) Get a Dremel and some bits/sanding drums.

2.) Hog out the sticky bedding, read the bedding threads here, heed the techniques/methods, and do it the right way this time.

I'm betting heavy odds that when you finally get this rifle shooting right, you will know how to bed a rifle.........

I hope so. I probably should have practice on my old 10/22 stock BEFORE doing on the much more expensive m70 stock, but oh well. Lesson learned.

OP, redo it.

Practicing on a 10/22 wouldnt have shown you much.

Dont use the action screws to hold it in. Use guide screws.

Take your time, make it look good. Follow the lessons shown by some of the other smiths here.

If you dont have a mill or the tools a smith would use to clean up the bedding overflow afterwards, take extra care to block off areas you dont want bedding. Keep it clean and controlled. If you really try hard and think about it, you can do it.

First though, you get the joy of hogging out the existing bedding
smile.gif

Also, Id probably scrape out enough barrel channel wood to bed the barrel channel with 20mil tape on the bottom of the barrel to free float it. Bed full length, all at once. Seal up the wood and strengthen it.

Good luck man.

check out the bedding threads in gunsmithing and dont try again until you understand it completely.
Devcon is nice to work with. The Brownells Acra spray on release agent is awesome and what we use.

ok thanks for the advice. What do you mean by guide screws? If you haven't noticed already, I am fairly new at all this.
I used Miles Gilbert Bedrock. Is it alright to use the same stuff?

I found that a few minutes ago and read it a couple times already
smile.gif

Looks fairly straightforward. there were a few things he mentioned that I never got from the MG instructions, like letting the bedding sit before cleaning up. Looks like he knows what he's doing

Guide screws can be bought at Brownells for $5. They keep the action straight up and where it needs to be, but without using the action screws which is a no no.

Remember,not having a mill or anything like that, you're going to want clean up to be minimal. Try to keep the epoxy where you want it as best as you can.

You can go to your local hardware store for guide screws. Find what works then cut the heads off. Cheaper and quicker than using Brownells. I use Marine Tex for my bedding jobs mostly because its readily available and is easy to work with. Also if you buy the 2 oz, which is about all you need, its impossible to get the mix wrong as both parts are premeasured. Using the neutral Kiwi shoe polish is popular, cheap, and works great. Again, its also readily available. Good luck.

That was the hard part last time, getting the measurement right. I think what I'm going to do is goop some of the stuff into a little ziploc bag and cut the corner off so i can squeeze it into the measuring spoon instead of using the popsicle stick they give you.

well, Friday went a little better. I was getting around 6 inch groups at 200 yards. My friend's dad, who is one of the best shots that I know, was getting the same size groups, so it's not me, thank God. Still, not great. I think I'm just going to take the stock off and put the youth stock back on. I know it shoots fine with that. (btw, I was using 140 grain accubonds and partitions, and 150 grain herters, all reputable hunting bullets, but definitely not match grade)

If it were me I'd grind it and then restart. Shoot with your youth stock for the time being that the stock is off getting repaired. Read that tutorial in the previous post and get it right and then stick it on and shoot again.

Man I don't get it! You are Bedding barrel & action lug??????????

Is this a joke

The wood stock needs Pillars bedded & bedding under action upto the back side of the action lug.