• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 30 or XDM 3.8 compact 45acp ??????

Nomad Farrier

Nomad
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
NE Oregon
Ok guys I don't think this comp has been made on here, Im sorry if it has. Im about to drop the hammer on one of these two and would like to here some thought from you guys on each..... Pros and Cons???
Thanks!!!

Re: Glock 30 or XDM 3.8 compact 45acp ??????

I would go Glock on this one.. However, 36 vs. XDS I would take the XDS

Hello OR Shooter,

That's a very interesting comparison! I don't see them as too similar. Please do NOT take that as a slam against you. I carry a G30 daily for work, and G36 off-duty 1/2 the time(1911 Commander the other half.) I have fired a XDs a number of times and put about 200 rds or so through one.

What is your intent? If CCW, then XDs. The G30 I primarily carry it OWB. If I wear BDUs, I can carry it IWB in my crossbreed. That being said, I'd rather carry my G36 for off-duty and IWB. WHY? Just weight and bulk. The G36 is 1.13" wide, the G30 is 1.28" wide. XDs is about 1". that doesn't look like a lot when raw numbers, but hold it in your hand, tuck it in your waistband, it's a significant difference.

If I didn't already have my G36, I'd get the XDs, just for size alone. My intent is CCW, I'd carry the firearm with flush mag, 5+1, and carry an extended 7rd mag as my backup.

I found the XDs to be a smooth shooting pistol, very controllable recoil. I'd replace the front fiber optic sight with something tritium, but that's personal choice and easy fix.

As you can tell by my handle, I like my Glock pistols too.

So, to answer your question.... if for CCW, I'd go XDs, especially if IWB and if you're smaller frame. If you're larger frame person, maybe don't mind going OWB, don't mind the extra mass, then you'll be very happy with a G30.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

-G45

I have no experience with the Glock but I CCW with the 3.8 XDm .45 every day. I have about 500 rounds through mine with out a single issue (wish I could say the same for my 1911 that met a less than competent "gunsmith"). I am not the biggest fan of polymer handguns but I do love my springfield.

I have handled both the G30SF and XD 45 3.8 and the glock felt better between the two. However I am leaning towards the M&P .45c (wait listed for model#109308) which will accept the larger 10 & 14 round mags if needed. Triggers suck from the factory but Doug at ATI can fix that problem locally here in Michigan.

Don't know about the .45 but I own the XDM in 9mm and I love it. It is a fine sidearm. It carries well and is pretty easy to conceal. Very accurate and dependable. I shoot this in competition and have had zero problems. I also own the XDS in .45 as was talked about above. I really like this gun. The recoil is less than a Baby Glock in .40 and can be put in a pocket if needed. This is what I carry.

Well today I made a few calls to the LGS in the area and there were none of either of the 4 pistols discussed above. Sooo I'll just have to wait to see what happens with the whole gun grabbing thing to subside. I'm not irritated at all, kind of a relief to see the Americans buying firearms to quietly support their rights.