• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Good watch for long range shooting

buckskin52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
western PA
Mainly looking for a reasonably priced watch that will accurately read elevation, temperature and density altitude. Any input is appreciated

Re: Good watch for long range shooting

I like my Suunto for absolute barometric pressure. Altitude requires a frequent reference markers due to changing weather etc. I think the max it was off going up Mt. Washington was 20 feet or so. The temperature is always high due to being strapped to my wrist though. Seems accurate if when not worn. I've never seen a watch that does DA.

I had a sunnto, but hated having to keep replacing batteries. I switched to a G-Shock Pathfinder (ABC Altitude, Barometer and Compass) which is tough-solar (Solar powered - doesn't need batteries) which works GREAT. IT also does temperature. It doesn't do DA, but I have checked the termperature agsinst a good thermometer and its right on once left off the wrist for 20 min. Like most devices, the barometer / altimiter are related so you can either set the elevation OR the pressure so that changes can be isolated to either a change in elevation OR a change in pressure. I use a GPS for elevation, so I get an accurate read on pressure.

As far as I know there is no product in a watch format that will give as good of results as the Kestrel unit and or a Garmin GPS.

I keep hearing people talking about Suunto's eating batteries. I've had mine for over a year and have replaced the battery once. A couple of my friends do have G-shocks and love them.

Yes, my Suunto ate them about once a year, but I have now had my tough solar watches for over 3 years and haven't bought a single battery. The one nice thing I preferred on my Suunto was the large display, as my Pathfinder's display is indeed somewhat smaller. But it really is nice not to have to worry about how long I leave the altimiter or compass on, and if that will kill my battery faster, since I can just check the level and expose it more to the sun if its getting low - rather than have it shut off on me.

I own a Casio Protrek PRW2500T-7 and love it. I've owned Casio for 15 years, and won't trust my life to any other brand. I have one Casio, an older 1st Gen, solar powered watch that is still ticking after 12 years, and I bang it up pretty badly as I use it for my 'working' watch. Never a problem!

Casio G Shock GW9200-1 AKA Riseman has altitude, temperature and barometer.

Pathfinder for sure gets my vote, but you're not going to find a watch that does DA itself, you're going to need to match it across a chart for that. That is simple though, and here is a really good tutorial by Lindy on how to do that.

http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/ManualDA/

If you want something to do the DA calculation for you, you're going to need to get a Kestrel. I run both, using the Pathfinder as my backup. Keep in mind that with any watch that does temperature, you will not get an accurate reading while it's on your wrist, hence why I run the Kestrel most of the time for my DA.

I had a sunnto, but hated having to keep replacing batteries. I switched to a G-Shock Pathfinder (ABC Altitude, Barometer and Compass) which is tough-solar (Solar powered - doesn't need batteries) which works GREAT. IT also does temperature. It doesn't do DA, but I have checked the termperature agsinst a good thermometer and its right on once left off the wrist for 20 min. Like most devices, the barometer / altimiter are related so you can either set the elevation OR the pressure so that changes can be isolated to either a change in elevation OR a change in pressure. I use a GPS for elevation, so I get an accurate read on pressure.

As far as I know there is no product in a watch format that will give as good of results as the Kestrel unit and or a Garmin GPS.

Do you just set your watch to the factory default for the barometer and never set the altitude? Since you are using a GPS for elevation, I'm assuming you just use the barometer/temp features. I'm just curious about how you trued your barometer in the watch? Factory and did you calculate the pressure?

Thanks.

Do you just set your watch to the factory default for the barometer and never set the altitude? Since you are using a GPS for elevation, I'm assuming you just use the barometer/temp features. I'm just curious about how you trued your barometer in the watch? Factory and did you calculate the pressure?

Thanks.

Hmmm, I don't remember. I think I did at some point set it to a reference altitutde. I think you should do that every once in a while so it tracks correctly. I mainly use the altitude for comparing to a Topo map to help determine my location when I can't easily figure it out (like at night, or when the terrain doesn't make sense compared to my map). This watch + a laser range finder was invaluable at the Sniper Adventure Challenge to help keep us on the correct course when doing land navigation.

I've had a Suunto Vector since 2005. It does altitude, Baro, compass. It is pretty damn accurate for barometric pressure. Altitude always seems to be about 40-50 feet off. It doesn't do temp so I can't determine DA, but sounds like those that do temp have an issue because it has to be off the wrist for awhile in order to get an accurate temp reading. When at a range or doing steel out in the desert I use a weather meter to get DA. Where it comes in handy is hunting since it is small, light, on my wrist, has a compass, and I can leave the weather meter in the truck. I can check it and get a quick baro/altitude and update Strelok app on my phone to get more accurate data as baro pressure changes and I have significant altitude changes going up and down the mesas.

I have replaced the batteries 3 times, the watch band twice, and its due for a new battery soon since the display dims when activating the light. So 4 batteries in 13 years isn't too bad in my opinion.

Suunto Ambit 2 is rechargeable so no batteries. but anyway, changing a battery? the Core is user changeable with just a coin and uses 2032 batts, the same as my scope, so what's the big deal?

also, Gamibt has GPS so barometric altitude is verified and spot on. it also has a heart rate monitor and has apps and downloads data to our computer for tracking. nice tool...

An update. My Suunto Vector finally died today. Hopped in the pool and that was all she wrote. I think the seals went out around the bezel. She ran for 17 years pretty damn well. Now I am in the market for a new watch and that market has changed a lot and seems flooded with products since early 2000's.

Looking for advice on a new watch.
1) Needs to have altitude, barometer, compass. Be waterproof to a good distance (say 30 meters min) and not be a terrible battery hog or the size of a brick/small laptop. I prefer digital display to hour/minute hands.
2) I do not need super fancy heart beat monitors, blood sugar testers, the ability to point out hot single pigeons in my area, internet capable, or something that will delivery a shock to fix an arrhythmia. I do not require GPS and would prefer not to have it at all. All the above are just wasted functions for me and suck the battery. I don't really care if it is battery or solar or a hybrid of both.

Basically I am looking for a dependable watch that I can get basic shooting position data from to calculate DA or just input baro/alt that will look "non tactical". G-shock has a lot of offerings, but they are bulky. there are so many options on the market today I figured I would ask all you folks since there seems to be many connoisseurs of watches here on the hide.

Bump to the top to see what is out there all you fine folks would recommend. I have started eyeballing the Garming Instinct Tactical solar powered one, even though it has way way more crap than I need or will ever use.

Why not just buy a Kestrel with applied ballistics and have all of that info plus an awesome ballistic computer and wind meter? Really not sure why you'd complicate things by doing this on a watch on your wrist that is going to be affected by your body temp, sweat, etc. Just get a Kestrel and do it all.

Then buy a Rolex/Breitling/Omega and flex on the poors.

Garmin Tactix Delta with AB Elite. pair to a LRF bino that is compatible (sig bdx, vortex, etc) input the data and your watch will read firing solutions. This is not a cheap option and it does have all the 3000 other functions like all modern smart watches have, battery life is good (8-10 days depending on gps use) and very durable.

Garmin Tactix Delta with AB Elite. pair to a LRF bino that is compatible (sig bdx, vortex, etc) input the data and your watch will read firing solutions. This is not a cheap option and it does have all the 3000 other functions like all modern smart watches have, battery life is good (8-10 days depending on gps use) and very durable.
Thank you. I will check into the Garmins. I was wanting to keep it simple but simple doesn't seem to exist anymore. A durable watch that keeps time, is waterproof, and has a good digital compass is what I was after. The baro/alt is handy as a back up on the wrist for basic environmentals. I use my weather meter and strelok pro on phone for data when range shooting. When I hunt its just data cards in my pocket in case my phone craps out. May just end up grabbing another Suunto or G-shock.