• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Got my 5R Mil Spec 223 today

Re: Got my 5R Mil Spec 223 today

Hydro what is the twist rate on the 5R 223?

Mine is at gun smith getting scope mounted and tac handil installed cant hardly wait , congrats

Here are some pics of getting cleaned up and mounting a scope on it. I have a new Premier Heritage 3-15 coming from Scott in the next week or so. Decided to throw the PH on my GAP and take my favorite scope off it and put it on the 5R.

Anybody Know what the S and the odd bar code/Braille looking stuff is on the underside of the action?

url]
Rem5R011.jpg
Rem5R001.jpg
Rem5R002.jpg
Rem5R003.jpg
Rem5R004.jpg
Rem5R005.jpg
]
Rem5R006.jpg
[/img]

Interesting! My 308 5R does not have that. Should make bedding the action fun!

s=stainless, maybe?
do the numbers above the dot matrix thingy match the serial number somehow?

I had not seen anything like that until tonight. Is it new from the factory or preowned? Maybe it is something the previous owner did to identify it. It may also be a standard thing on 5R runs. I haven't looked at the bottom of any they have all been in a stock

The dot matrix on the underside is a type of bar code. It is used by some OEM vehicle manufacturers, but, more importantly, it is starting to see use in the Armed Forces for Armory inventory cataloging and the like (at least I've heard it's in the military).

It's basically a more compact version of a standard bar code like what you see on any item in a grocery store, but I believe it can hold more information; i.e. it can be linked to what unit/service person used it last, when it was serviced, etc, instead of just saying "Remington 700 5R .223" when they scan it.

I'm not sure if it can be used without a contrasting color though. Every time I've seen it, it was white dots on a black background, though that may be because it was all on AR parts or black plastic. Bosch uses it on a lot of Duramax fuel system parts.

Caterpiller Electronic injectors have that on them.....the Reman ones for sure haven't seen it on New yet but yes it is a more detailed way to see where it has been.....like when my 270WSM went back to Rem twice....it had a bunch of "x" and new stamps each time another fake gunsmith touched it.

Rice rifle BTW

What makes you think I will sell the barrel? I am hoping it shoots well enough to keep. That was kind of the point in trying a 5R. Supposed to amongst the best factory barrels, right?

One thing I am going to have to address is the action. Rough as hell. Definitely needs a BO knob as well.

Hydro, when ya gonna shoot it? Don't forget to come back with a range report!

I was just messing with you. Most of us don't leave our guns alone for long, you know that. I had a 5R once, now it is a GAP.

I knew you were. For a custom I have my GAP TIS 308. I bought this more for my 15 y.o. daughter to shoot. And the fact that I am loading 556 for my AR's so I may as well have a bolt 223. I am going to try and shoot it this weekend. If it will shoot close to half MOA I am going to leave it alone other than trying to slick up the action a bit and maybe if I can find a good deal on a nice used stock, I will do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro, when ya gonna shoot it? Don't forget to come back with a range report! </div></div>

If it does freaking snow this weekend, I have 50 rounds loaded and ready to put through it. Will post a report.

Guys, I was considering getting an aftermarket trigger for this, but I think I am going to give the X-Mark Pro a chance first. The reviews appear inconsistent on these things. apparently once adjusted, they wont stay.

I have adjusted mine down to a pretty good feeling pull. The trigger breaks very clean without much "slop" in it. Right now it feels really good. If it will stay this way, I wont replace it.

My question is this. Should I put some LocTite on it? If, so, what is the exact procedure for applying it?

Yes, deffinatly use something to lock the screw down. Nail polish, super glue ,something that allows you to clean up easily for the next time to adjust.
mad.gif

After your done adjusting just apply a coat over the screw and it's base?, just like the factory did.

Loctite is an anaerobic adhesive so their needs to be a lack of O2.
This wouldn't work right appllied to the surface.

I havent shot mine yet,so I cant speak to how well it will hold up. But, after adjusting it down to what feels like somewhere between 2-2 1/2 lbs, it feels great. If it will stay like it is now, I wont have a need to replace it.

That is the <span style="font-weight: bold">new</span> adjustible X-mark trigger(came out this year)right? how do you like it?

Yes it is the most current trigger. Came on the recently released 223 5R MilSpec.

I havent shot it yet, but just dry firing it, seems great. We will see how well it maintains its pull.

223 bolt guns are sooo fukin fun..
I had an old PSS years ago with a 26" barrel
jesus did I have some crazy loads for that thing..
had a Burris signature series 8 x 32 and premier reticle
made me an ultra fine 1/8" moa dot with 4 others out to 500 yds
I turned so many critters into dust with that rig it was scary
I don't use speer tnt for anything in an ar platform due to their
short base and profile ,,loading problems
but damn did those lil 50 grainers shoot ragged clover leafs @ 100yds and would literally blow rodents into pieces..
If I loaded a 60 grain Nosler BT or Hornady Vmax I was able
to go out to 500 yds all day long...crows have their guard let down out there and I made sure to fill the air with their feathers when that lil bullet hit em..
I found myself shooting that gun over my 22-250 and swift more then not..
It was a fast gun ,chrono would see 3700 - 4000 fps on some loads on
a regular basis and they were in lc brass,no signs of excess,,flat primers etc.. I had to use another chrono to verify that..I thougt "no way" these are 220 swift speeds...
I had 50 gr tnt blowing up in mid air at 40 yds past the muzzle,,had to back em down....lol!
I hit a rabbit once and had to search a 10 yd radius to find all the pieces....insane... didn't eat that one...
with the cost of ammo components today Id say a 223 in a bolt gun is the better choice now more than ever..
I'm excited about the prospect of MI finally being can compliant by November,,I can only imagine how sweet one would be with no worry about hearing protection and 1/4 moa accuracy...

I'm going to start searching...