• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Got my new A4 stock in from McMillan.......

BigtimeAub

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
Auburn, AL
Just got it in from McMillan and thought I would share. 70% light tan, 30% medium tan. It's going to have a 3-way buttpad, REM700 chambered in .308, blue printed, 30" 1:10 Krerger 5R, Harris bi-pod, glass still up in the air. The rifle should be finished in the next few weeks. Dedicated paper puncher @600-1000.

(I realize most of y'all on here hate that, but hunting is boring and my "nazi killin" days are over. Back in school now and just like shooting for fun.)

Re: Got my new A4 stock in from McMillan.......

Looks great! Make sure to post some pics up after you get it all put together.

I definitely will. And I forgot to mention that there will be light tan Cerakote all around on the metal to match (except the action and bolt, leaving that black).

Thanks Patrick.

Now, a shameless attempt to feed my ego.

Bump

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I definitely will. And I forgot to mention that there will be light tan Cerakote all around on the metal to match (except the action and bolt, leaving that black). </div></div>

Just a thought but what about doing just the bolt, bolt knob, and some other black accents. That would look absolutely badass!

I love that stock btw.

Thanks. And I may just do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Im still kicking myself for getting rid of my A4!! Now its just a waiting game to get another one. Hope to see some pics of it completed.

It was ordered mid-August and was received last Thursday. The initial lead time given was going to put the stock in hand around mid-December. But to my surprise, oh and what a glorious surprise it was, a lady at McMillan called me last Monday and told me that it had shipped and should arrive in a few days. It was about 6 weeks early. Not a bad wait at all.

I have 2 A4's, They're my favorite. Why 30 inch barrel???

What was your total cost on that critter? Also, what bottom metal did you chose?

I'm choosing to go with the 30" barrel because I'm shooting F T/R @1000yards. In this class, every last bit of accuracy is essential. Shooting into the X ring, which is only 5" or 1/2MOA, is the name of the game. You're not just hoping to score a random hit on a big metal gong (most times 36" and larger). I realize that shorter barrels can sometimes be just as accurate, but the possibility of those barrels being just as accurate, just as consistently is low. Plus, there are many other factors involved such as load development and all of that jazz.

Once the stock is complete and ready to install the action, barrel, trigger, it'll be around $850. My gunsmith has a 3-way butt-plate that I am purchasing from him at a much lower price than McMillan's, and it's virtually the same thing. The total project of just the rifle itself is running right at $2100. I provided the action but everything else is brand new. The action is REM700 .270 that is being re-chambered in .308. Haven't decided on my scope yet but I suspect that I'll be pushing $26-2700 on that end with a scope, base, and rings. The entire project should put me around $5000.

Sounds awesome...Can't wait for pics when its done

Your build sounds awesome and love the stock. I'm a sucker for the A4's. With the 1/10 twist what gr. bullet do you plan on running? On 6mmbr's site the guys seem to be running there rigs with either the 155's and the 175 bullets for the F/Class stuff at slow fps and slow twist rates. Your choice seems a little better.

I've read pretty much every article on 6mmbr pertaining to the .308 so I'm pretty sure that I've read the same articles. I've actually taken a lot into consideration from that site. As of now, I'm going to start out with the 175's in Winchester brass from Southwest Ammo, and a few in Lapua Brass, just to get a baseline since I've got some experience with those cartridges and had decent results. I'm still new to this sport so I'm still learning something new (and contradicting) every day. Once I get a baseline with these cartridges, I'm going to start working on load development with a friend of mine who has forgotten more about it than the interwebz has ever accurately known. We'll probably do work with anything from 155's all the way up to 205's, maybe even up to 230's, unless we just happen to find a load that is just too good to improve upon. This first barrel is primarily going to be used to do load development and a lot of practice. I'll be shooting competitively when I get a chance, but I'll be more concerned with honing my skills right now than actually winning. Maybe after I get a couple thousand rounds down range will I focus more on winning.