• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GUY'S WITH GAP AR10'S PLEASE POST BEST LOADS

Pittman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2005
Mississippi
I have just recently had a 308 GAP AR-10 built by gap. Specs are:
24" Bartlein 1/11.25 twist with badger break
Daniel defense handgaurd
Dpms upper and lower
Magpul PRS Stock

I have been running several handloads in this rifle and they have been shooting decent. I have run 43.5g IMR 4064, 210 primer, remington brass with 175gr smk seated at 2.800. This load is awesome it shoots consistently in .3's. What I cannot acheive is finding a load with a hunting bullet such as 165sst, 165 nosler bt, 160gr accubond, 178amax. I believe the amax would shoot if I could change the seating depth, but with mags there is not much room for playing with it.

I have run these loads with Varget and Br2 primers, 4064, and rl-15. Most have been on the mid to upper end of Nosler's manual.

I guess i was wandering what kinda groups and loads do the other gass gap gun's like. Is there something else that I might should start testing? Bullets or powder i.e. Do gas guns seem to like the lower velocities, or higher powder charges?

This gun will shoot, but so far I have only found one load out of 20 that will stack at 100yds. I do know that gas guns are finicky, but would like to get a hunting bullet to perform well at 100, and then I will walk it out to the distances. The other loads are consistent 3/4 to 1 moa for me with the exception of the the 4064 load listed above.

Any insight on similar experiences would be appreciated.

Re: GUY'S WITH GAP AR10'S PLEASE POST BEST LOADS

Doesn't someone load for these gas guns. C'mon guys.

I load for gassers a lot. I hunt with matchkings though so I have never played with a hunting load.

175SMK over RL15 @ 2720 has killed turkey, deer, coyote, skunk, rabbit, steel and paper.

Had issues with the amax polymer tips getting bent on cycling. I just keep it simple with the SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load for gassers a lot. I hunt with matchkings though so I have never played with a hunting load.

175SMK over RL15 @ 2720 has killed turkey, deer, coyote, skunk, rabbit, steel and paper.

Had issues with the amax polymer tips getting bent on cycling. I just keep it simple with the SMK. </div></div>
His AR-10T is INSANE accurate. One of those turkey's was at 640 yards!

CKA, I agree the smk is smokin accurate. It is almost as good as my bolt rifles at 100yds. Was wandering does your gun shoot finicky ,like where it just likes a particular load extremely well, and anything else it looks like a wagner power sprayer.

I have heard that this can be the case with gas guns. Find a load that shoots, and stick with it, but ladder testing bolt guns for years and seeing the improvemants by going up .5gr etc has not been the case with this rifle. I guess I am trying to say this seems like a total different animal.

What is your charge and primer with rl-15. Maybe I can get it to shoot with one of the 180gr hunting bullets.

Mine seems to run best just under max pressure. AR15s seem a little more tolerant of lighter loads.

I'm sure George and Moon have a load recommendation for their chamber. You tried them? Mine has a NATO chamber and I doubt yours does.

But, again, I hunt with match rounds. I don't have a hunting bullet load.

Win brass, 175SMK, 210M, 45.4gr RL15 is what mine likes. The DMPMs I have loaded for friends are usually around 45.0

also, a light crimp from a Lee crimper can help out with groups and SD on some of them.

probably smoking hot with that 45gr...I use 44.4 with the same stuff....pushing 2600fps out of my 20".

I will try and work upwards. I quit rl-15 at 43.5g. I talk to Moon quite a bit, and keep him informed. Moon actually built this rifle for me. I will post range report and pics at some point in the future, but want to get a hunting load first. I will say that I cleaned it after about 10 rds and then kept on firing. I just cleaned and inspected copper foul on lans, and it is fouling more than any bartlein that I have owned so far.

Like I said, it seems to like what it likes, and right now that is the one load with 175's, but for a gas gun, I couldn't believe it bugholing. From what I have read, you have done good if you get a gaser that shoots 3/4 moa. I will say Moon has built a gas gun that will shoot under half moa. Just wanted to see what other gap's liked. Thanks for the reply Captain, I will keep you informed.

CST, does your gun like anything besides smk's?

Any loads with varget

Yeah, I started with 165's Varget and br-2's. 43.5-44.5 in .5 grain increments. The rifle shot a five shot group that was slightly bigger than .5moa at 100, but with 175 smk's. I am having no problems with the match bullets, but would feel more comfortable with a hunting bullet for whitetails. I may need to try game kings, or 180g bergers next. I guess bergers are hunting bullets. They seem to get alot of praise on here. I would love to go farther than 44.5g with 165g bullet, but don't know if it is safe. I also haven't ever run anything but br-2 primers with Varget. 210's never seemed to shoot worth a cuss in my bolt guns with this powder, but it may be worth a try.

Not to thread steal but I've got a question. I've done a load workup with my DMPS SASS with both Varget and RL15. I've loaded to max pressure upwards of 46grs with RL15 and consistently find that the gun shoots crap (above 1.25MOA) except when I load down....WAY down. The load that consistently works the best in my SASS (and also my Remmy) is 42.6 RL15 and 43.1Var. This gives me 0.75 MOA with SMK's and about .5MOA with 178Amaxs. Haven't crony'd yet but I'm guessing its way to slow to reach 1000 yds. So should I keep it loaded down for sub MOA accuracy or screw some of the accuracy?

My GAP DPMS SASS, Bartlein 20" Barrel likes two hunting bullets: Barnes 168GR TTSX and Combined Technology 168's over 43.5 grains 748 and COAL of 2.810. Both bullets are great hunters too.