• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Happiness is getting your bottom metal fitted and working...

cal50

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
I traded into a new Remington 700 tactical in .223 rifle. It kind of "just happened" and did not plan on it but its really a decent rifle. I took it to the range completely stock and mounted a Leupold MK4-16X on it to see if it was a shotgun or a rifle. Completely stock it grouped well under an inch ( 3/4" @ 100 yds.) so I deemed it worthy of a few functional mods. The 1st thing I did was thread the muzzle for a Blackout flash hider and suppressor mount so I can run my AAC M4-2000 on it. The stock crown was OK but I cut a fresh 11 degree crown. The factory Hogue stock is great for field or woods use on a hunting rifle but far from a precision foundation. My forearm rubbed the barrel stock sitting on a bipod. I decided to go a different rout for a stock and purchased my 1st Bell & Carlson. Its not a bad stock for the money. Its not in the same league as a McMillan but its not priced the same either. Its solid with the aluminum bedding block and integral pillars. My rear pillar was slightly off center but I can fix this.

I absolutely hate the Remington box magazine. It "works" most of the time but sucks IMHO. I went with the PTG bottom metal and AICS .223 magazines. The PTG bottom metal is top shelf and the AICS mags fit perfectly together. PTG included pillars which I used to measure the pillar height and then milled the B&C stock down to the same dimensions. I no longer have access to CNC milling equipment so I did the inletting on my manual milling machine at home. After an hour milling and fitting the bottom metal fits and functions oh so smooooothly. I know some have said they fitted it with a dremel tool but I can not imagine doing it!

I still have to bed the action and then the bottom metal but I am liking the way everything has gone together.

Nice job. I want a DBM but its more tacticool. Not sure if I want to go that route and spend the money since I just single feed.

Nice handy rig you've assembled. let us know how it shoots post bedding

I am declaring victory on this one.....

The Bell & Carlson stock bedded up with no surprises. The rear pillar was about .052 thousandths off center to the front pillar so I needed to correct that or use the PTG pillars included with their bottom metal. I used Devcon for bedding and did the action 1st then the bottom metal last. I used the same generic loaded ammo I used when the gun was stock with the Hogue stock. My original groups were decent but not great. I could shoot 3/4" groups all day long. Bedded in the new stock I can do under 1/2" and that is without tuning the ammo to this gun. I fired groups with my AAC M4-2000 can attached and without and did not get a huge change in accuracy. I do get an impact shift down of about an inch or less with the can attached. Without the can attached I get the infamous tuning fork "ping" with each shot fired. With the can attached its frigging quiet......

With can~

Can removed~

Down range / 100 yards~

Group with M4-2000 attached.
52 Sierra BTHP