• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Happy MOEthers Day—Magpul MOE PR stock

Bluedog82

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019

My review of the MOE PR stock. TLDW: A pretty decent stock for quasi-precision work, such as a Recce Rifle.
Pros: Cheap, lightweight, good bag ride-ability
Cons: Open cutout on the bottom, no QD hole (though it has the ability to take an Mlok one), and it has a decent amount of wobble/rattle. Why Magpul can’t use whatever they have in the SL is beyond me.

Anyone else have one that wants to chime in? I’d be interested in your thoughts.

20220415_122332_HDR.jpg

Magpul SL stock with Arisaka Defense 90° butt-plate adapter and bag-rider - not wiggle or wobble.

Thank you for taking the hit on this one and making the vid to highlight it's features and drawbacks. I was all into this stock when it was announced and then I started hearing about the wobble, no built in QD, and I was like "nah, I'm good". IMO, the best bang for the buck in carbine stocks for scoped carbines is the BCM SOPMOD Mod 1, it looks like an Ugg boot but has a nice surface area for riding a bag, it's light, comes with QD attachments, and is a snug fit on milspec tubes. By the time you price out a Magpul MOE PR with a MLOK QD sling mount you're only several bucks shy of the BCM.

Thank you for taking the hit on this one and making the vid to highlight it's features and drawbacks. I was all into this stock when it was announced and then I started hearing about the wobble, no built in QD, and I was like "nah, I'm good". IMO, the best bang for the buck in carbine stocks for scoped carbines is the BCM SOPMOD Mod 1, it looks like an Ugg boot but has a nice surface area for riding a bag, it's light, comes with QD attachments, and is a snug fit on milspec tubes. By the time you price out a Magpul MOE PR with a MLOK QD sling mount you're only several bucks shy of the BCM.
Thanks! And yeah, looking at it the only benefits to the Magpul are the longer bag riding surface, and the ability to take the CTR cheek risers (if that’s important to someone). In all, I’m not mad for the $42 or so I spent on it, I just hope they come out with a Gen 2.

The Mod 1 is a fantastic stock, I do wish it had 1-2” more of surface area at the base. Lockup is very solid and no wobble. As solid as a fixed stock when your buffer tube has some spraypaint on it.

The Mod 1 is a fantastic stock, I do wish it had 1-2” more of surface area at the base. Lockup is very solid and no wobble. As solid as a fixed stock when your buffer tube has some spraypaint on it.
Sounds like I’ll definitely have to try one. I have some BCM uppers, a pistol grip, and foregrip, but no experience with their stocks.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I don't know why the MLok slot instead of flush cup is such a hang up, you can get MLok sling mounts on Amazon for $10. Clearly Magpul is going for low price and light weight. It's a $40 stock (retail), you can get better stocks for double or triple the price (BCM, Vltor clubfoot, Etc). Frankly, the open cavity is what kills it for me considering I already have the more expensive options.

I don't know why the MLok slot instead of flush cup is such a hang up, you can get MLok sling mounts on Amazon for $10. Clearly Magpul is going for low price and light weight. It's a $40 stock (retail), you can get better stocks for double or triple the price (BCM, Vltor clubfoot, Etc). Frankly, the open cavity is what kills it for me considering I already have the more expensive options.
I mentioned in the video that they should have put in a removable rubberized insert, kinda like the plugs for the battery compartments on the SL-S. Maybe the aftermarket will develop something. Or 3D printer go brrrr.

I mentioned in the video that they should have put in a removable rubberized insert, kinda like the plugs for the battery compartments on the SL-S. Maybe the aftermarket will develop something. Or 3D printer go brrrr.

I'd like to hear Magpul's explanation for the cavity. The Mlok slot and low cost hardware make sense, the open cavity doesn't.

My hang up personally is that Magpul forces you to spend more money to get something up to the same capability as some other stocks, like the BCM Mod 1. Yeah, the stock is cheap and light but if I need to spend more money to get qd mounts that lessens the value in my eyes. I'm also not sure I'd fully trust a $10 MIC amazon qd mount but you can find some quality USA made ones around $15 or so. So in my head, it's not really a $40 stock, it's closer to a $60 investment now to get it to where I want it, possibly more, for a loose fit and weird molding pockets. $20 more nets me a BCM thats the same weight, has a tight fit, two built in QD mounts, a nice clubfoot, and a generous storage compartment.

Also during SHOT I believe I remember the Magpul rep in one of the vids saying they're working on a version that will have a tensioning feature and some other upgrades. It'll be interesting to see what they bring out.

Reactions: Bluedog82
My hang up personally is that Magpul forces you to spend more money to get something up to the same capability as some other stocks, like the BCM Mod 1. Yeah, the stock is cheap and light but if I need to spend more money to get qd mounts that lessens the value in my eyes. I'm also not sure I'd fully trust a $10 MIC amazon qd mount but you can find some quality USA made ones around $15 or so. So in my head, it's not really a $40 stock, it's closer to a $60 investment now to get it to where I want it, possibly more, for a loose fit and weird molding pockets. $20 more nets me a BCM thats the same weight, has a tight fit, two built in QD mounts, a nice clubfoot, and a generous storage compartment.

Also during SHOT I believe I remember the Magpul rep in one of the vids saying they're working on a version that will have a tensioning feature and some other upgrades. It'll be interesting to see what they bring out.
Hmm, didn’t see that SHOT video. Definitely will keep me eyes open.

That's fair. The MOE stocks are economy products and when you add the accessory parts they no are longer the same value. My only real commentary on the cheap sling mount is that I don't see the utility of a high end unit given how I anticipate the stock will get used. I see the MOE PR used for occasional diagnostic bench shooting, in which case I would not add a sling anyway. Perhaps I'm off base on that but I have a couple of stocks I swap onto AR's when I need to shoot groups during load development and then take them off when done.

I was really hoping to replace the MBA stock I have with the PR because the MBA has that shitty commercial/milspec set screw. Unfortunately the open cavity is antithesis of a good bag rider.

I don’t have the ability to print rubberized polymer on my 3D printer, but if someone here does I’d be happy to take measurements.

Fuck you Magpul lol...

DT PR stock coming soon....so now all the poor saps (sorry OP) that bought the MOE PR will probably upgrade just months after getting the MOE version. From the looks of it the DT PR addresses pretty much everything that sucks about the MOE PR; dual tension lock up, integrated flush cups, looks like they closed in the bottom too. Price is about $65 so this essentially makes the MOE PR obsolete IMO....fuckin' Magpul lol.

Fuck you Magpul lol...

DT PR stock coming soon....so now all the poor saps (sorry OP) that bought the MOE PR will probably upgrade just months after getting the MOE version. From the looks of it the DT PR addresses pretty much everything that sucks about the MOE PR; dual tension lock up, integrated flush cups, looks like they closed in the bottom too. Price is about $65 so this essentially makes the MOE PR obsolete IMO....fuckin' Magpul lol.

😂😂😂
Classic. We’ll see if it’s actually tight…my Magpul DT still has a little play.

Fuck you Magpul lol...

For $20 extra...glad I waited. That stock makes sense.

Reactions: bfoosh006

My review of the MOE PR stock. TLDW: A pretty decent stock for quasi-precision work, such as a Recce Rifle.
Pros: Cheap, lightweight, good bag ride-ability
Cons: Open cutout on the bottom, no QD hole (though it has the ability to take an Mlok one), and it has a decent amount of wobble/rattle. Why Magpul can’t use whatever they have in the SL is beyond me.

Anyone else have one that wants to chime in? I’d be interested in your thoughts.

I bought one as soon as they were released. That thing was so loose I wondered if I had the wrong buffer tube size spec. Nope, it was for a mil spec tube and fitment just sucked. I returned it immediately.

😂😂😂
Classic. We’ll see if it’s actually tight…my Magpul DT still has a little play.
You could try layering some tape on inside of the stock. I use to do a lot of that with this stuff: https://shop.brownells.com/tools-cl...aint-finishing/high-temperature-masking-tape/
It's stays put and has a smooth top side so the stock still moves freely on the buffer tube. It's easiest to apply if there's open access to the back end of the stock when the buttpad comes off. That way you could thread the tape through from one end to the other as you build up layers.

You could try layering some tape on inside of the stock. I use to do a lot of that with this stuff: https://shop.brownells.com/tools-cl...aint-finishing/high-temperature-masking-tape/
It's stays put and has a smooth top side so the stock still moves freely on the buffer tube. It's easiest to apply if there's open access to the back end of the stock when the buttpad comes off. That way you could thread the tape through from one end to the other as you build up layers.
This MOE is shimmed with a little bit of electrical tape.

Reactions: kl3309
It seems that Magpul received the negative feedback. It's a damn shame they didn't make this one first and then come out with the cheaper MOE version later.

Last edited:
There was always going to be the MOE PR and DT PR, I don't think negative feedback had much to do with it. Duane Liptak alluded to that at SHOT 2024 when talking about the DT stock and some future developments on the horizon.

The MOE PR probably came out first because it's easier to manufacture and no one would care about it if the DT PR had come out first.

The 1st gen UBR is the only good stock they ever made. Everything else is shit.
While that’s a great stock (I have two of them), the CTR with Arisaka mods is arguably better in every way.