• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help me Comprehend Silencer Advice

Attachments

• 3oewaa.jpg
    3oewaa.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13
analysis paralysis
This ^^^^^^^^

I have a Nomad L and a TBAC 22L
Happy with both of them
Better ones out there? Maybe, probably.
Are they good enough for me? Yes
The interweb while opening up a great source of information has my old tired brain tripping the overload.
Each person's requirements are slightly to largely different from the person posting next.
With the quick approval times I am considering a dedicated .556 flow through can for my AR's or maybe a .30 cal flow through for AR15 and AR10, see there it goes again
I think I will go to my dealer and see what he has or recommends and can get soon.
If it doesn't ring a bell as having alot of bad reviews, get it and be done.
I appreciate the time and effort some of you guys put into researching all the cans out there and passing along your opinions
I just have too many other project requiring my time.
Thank you for sharing yours.

You don’t like how he talks or his podcast.

I don’t like his podcasts either.

We can agree on something and get past that.

The obvious point is he provides data for consumers that is incredibly valuable, that no else offers.

No matter how many times you whine about not liking his style of writing, that fact doesn't change.

For all the talk about how he communicates to “autists”, have you considered that maybe your issue is your own? Seems like plenty of other people have no problem with it.

If I read something beyond my technical understanding of a subject, I don’t make a habit of blaming the author for my own shortcomings.

Also, you keep going on about peak db, yet missing the obvious point, his “standard” takes into effect potential damage to the ear that is an entirely separate factor to peak db.

Your circular argument keeps ignoring that because, as you’ve already admitted, you suck at reading and need it spoon fed to you. The point is, it’s been spoon fed to you multiple times, and now you’re just whining while you ignore it because you’ve admitted that you like being a contrarian.

Why? You've posted at least 3 separate times that TBAC cleans them once a year for you for free.

This is like debating the merits of the location of the oil filter on your vehicle, after establishing that you dont change your own oil in the first place.
Mr. A. Suave, your point seems to be, “You’re too stupid/lazy if you cannot understand word-salad guy.”

My point is, “If a regular guy cannot cut through word-salad guy’s needlessly complex writing and self-referential blathering AND his overall point seems inconsequential/unproven AND he has financial conflicts of interest, then I’m going to ignore his findings.”

Also, you keep going on about peak db, yet missing the obvious point, his “standard” takes into effect potential damage to the ear that is an entirely separate factor to peak db.
I assume you are referring to his Hearing Damage Level™ (I shit you not, he apparently trademarked that) found here, entitled SSS.3 - Hearing Effects:

Like this and other pages on his site, while no doubt downright fascinating for the .000000001% of the population (hearing professionals, auditory enthusiasts, select autists), I am unable to determine if his work has been accepted into appropriate academic journals and independently replicated and verified.

Thus, Jay’s glittering bauble is placed upon the dusty shelf of “Interesting unproven ideas” and mainly ignored.

I am open to the possibility that I am wrong and should be paying attention. Or, that I fundamentally do not understand what he is done or discovered.

But thus far I have not been presented with any persuasive arguments as to why I should reconsider my position.

Perhaps you could take the time to painstakingly walk the group through each detail of Jay’s work? It is, after all, something you obviously deeply understand and is of a particular interest of yours.

(Re: why titanium?) You've posted at least 3 separate times that TBAC cleans them once a year for you for free.
Oh, the whomping you just gave me! Ow ow

Has it ever occurred to you that a) some people actually limit the reading of Jay’s suppressor Sound Signature Reviews™ long enough to go shoot a sufficient number of rounds to necessitate a cleaning more than once a year (esp. rimfire suppressors) and, b) I might actually own suppressors other than TBAC’s?

And thus have to clean them myself?

And that titanium stands largely alone as ideal to use with a widely recommended cleaner named CLR?

Last edited:
Reactions: NiteQwill
Oh yeah, for any confused future suppressor owners that have plowed through to this point, I just remembered my treatise entitled:

The Suppressor Stages of Ownership (SSO):

Addendum 1

Addendum 2

It’s what you’ve got ahead of you 😝

Ah yes…the roaring 70’s and 80’s, when asbestos and lead surrounded you in your home, and big tobacco still had people fooled that smoking didn’t cause lung cancer.

What a time to be alive before free access to information ruined all the fun things.

Skin cancer alone has tripled since the 70s, sure has nothing to do with the data being absent on excessive tanning back then. Must be that damn global warming finally catching up to them before they knew what it was!
Shame you can't think/write beyond barfcommer or redditor "insults" that fail to wrestle with my points.

Did you have a rebuttal, little man?

Mr. A. Suave, your point seems to be, “You’re too stupid/lazy if you cannot understand word-salad guy.”

My point is, “If a regular guy cannot cut through word-salad guy’s needlessly complex writing and self-referential blathering AND his overall point seems inconsequential/unproven AND he has financial conflicts of interest, then I’m going to ignore his findings.”

I assume you are referring to his Hearing Damage Level™ (I shit you not, he apparently trademarked that) found here, entitled SSS.3 - Hearing Effects:

Like this and other pages on his site, while no doubt downright fascinating for the .000000001% of the population (hearing professionals, auditory enthusiasts, select autists), I am unable to determine if his work has been accepted into appropriate academic journals and independently replicated and verified.

What other sources or individuals do you typically reference for suppressor shopping, and require the standard of have academic journals and independent verification? The Silencershop blog?

This is "upset highschool girlfriend" levels of moving the goal posts, just to avoid admitting that you're intentionally ignoring data, because you dont like the guy (because the website forum you visit the most told you not to).

If you clean your own cans (like the rest of us do), and as you've said you do too, then the offer to clean a can for you by a manufacturer, which requires sending it out and not having access to it, is irrelevant as a selling point.

Im impressed by your constant references to autism though, as some weird explanation for not understanding technical articles. Very modern. I've heard the kids are all about self-diagnosis and "mental health" now. I recommend you ask chatgpt to "ELI5" if you find a technical article that you feel is "word salad". Its amazing how useful technology is in teaching things to us now.

I have a buddy who works in concrete, couldn't spell Pythagorean if you put a gun to his head, but if you tell him to use the "3-4-5" he'll know exactly what you're talking about. Its really not that difficult to understand things, you just need to make the effort yourself, instead of making stupid excuses about autism.

Last edited:
Shame you can't think/write beyond barfcommer or redditor "insults" that fail to wrestle with my points.

If you believe you had a point, worth rebutting, anywhere in that "old man yells at cloud" romanticizing of the 70's and 80s, then there's likely a mesothelioma lawsuit you qualify as a victim of.

Whines about insults, while insulting. Was irony lost in the 70's and 80's for you as well?

If you believe you had a point, worth rebutting, anywhere in that "old man yells at cloud" romanticizing of the 70's and 80s, then there's likely a mesothelioma lawsuit you qualify as a victim of.

Whines about insults, while insulting. Was irony lost in the 70's and 80's for you as well?
Still running pilpul instead of addressing my points, such a spoiled child.

What point did you want to make, child?

What other sources or individuals do you typically reference for suppressor shopping, and require the standard of have academic journals and independent verification? The Silencershop blog?
It appears Jay/Pew is saying he set a new “standard.” I see no proof that this new standard has been verified to be any better than other standards.

Especially if you’re selling something, as Jay is, then I do not just casually accept arguments coming from the seller’s mouth, however logical they may appear.

This applies even if some or all of the info is free. If it’s all free, you’re mainly using only your reputation as proof of your premise.

It’s amusing you think I cannot understand Jay’s website. Up to now, I just didn’t think it was worth my time. Girding my loins, I entered the Maze of Pew and looked at:
SSS.1 - Main Page
SSS.2 - Methodology Introduction
SSS.3 - Hearing Effects
SSS.4 - Test Method and Results
SSS.5 - Suppression Rating™

Here’s a short take (realize I have probably made mistakes):

TL;DR JAY/PEW RECIPE​

Mince on a clean cutting board:
- 1 gov standard hearing model (AHAAH*, no ear pro!)
- 2 sound measurements (one perhaps proprietarily measured/scaled?)*

Now you have a fresh ARU** seasoning!

- mix ARU with PEWSOFT computerized blender until…soft. Really pewsoft.

So fresh!! It’s now called HDL†…using spoon, scoop some out!!

- plop dollop of HDL dough onto well-greased baking sheet. Place into PEWSOFT computerized oven and bake at 6000°F for one week
- make it two weeks!
- while baking, assemble proprietary shot dose scale†† with included Lincoln Logs™

Ding! Ding! Ding! 🔔
Out pops your beautiful shot dose single number Suppression Rating
‡…but hurry! We do hope you’ve already set your table for your wonderful unprotected-ear guests!!!

Why! The Rating stays fresh for only 1 day a week for unprotected and ready-to-be-shocked ears! We’re not even sure how ear protection factors in!

*The model is the Army’s AHAAH warned-about-the-shot (vs. unwarned) unprotected ear model

*Peak dB and sound pressure over time (dB-ms)

**ARU (Auditory Risk Unit); Jay describes it as, relatively accurate, established, peer reviewed (sic), and present in MIL-STD 1474-E.” I am unclear if Jay created this or if it’s an industry-standard term and what, scientifically/practically, the term “relatively” means/implies.

†HLD = Hearing Damage Level, a PEWSOFT proprietary calculated number

††Proprietary shot dose scale created using 24hrs, once/week, shooter & bystander composite inputs

‡To Jay’s credit, the Rating is broken down into bits elsewhere in the data from each suppressor test, so a shooter could see what is his suppressor’s ear or muzzle Rating

I am rather exhausted after parsing roughly 5,358 words located within a sprawling Byzantine-like construction into a hopefully understandable and simple 120-ish words (sans disclaimers/headline, but including jokes).

About 245 words with everything.

That’s about 21x less verbiage. And with the proprietary stuff hopefully correctly identified.

As you can see, there seem to be some proprietary calculations and scales/charts happening. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m no scientist, that’s for sure. Realize this is waaaayyy out of my wheelhouse.

Jay’s analysis seems of limited utility for someone who wears ear protection, often doubled up. For example, how does a NRR 32 earmuff affect the Rating? What if I shoot 4 days a week? No idea. Someone help me out here.

Your other strange points are obviously geared to provoke an unsavory response.

Let’s just say that manufacturers probably clean cans better than I could (better tools, fixtures, etc), and there’s nothing wrong with being autistic. Zeus knows, many are geniuses.

The problem occurs when said autist cannot understand why people make fun of him/her, and don’t seriously recalibrate their mouth to attempt to effectively communicate with the bulk of the world.

Of course, if that’s what they really want; to be broadly understood. If not, well, so be it.

You’ve seen what happens.

Last edited:
On this sunny Friday afternoon, after reading Jay’s five thousand, three hundred and fifty-eight word treatise on his methodology, if I don’t deserve a Beer Friday then I don’t know who does. 🍺🍻🍺

For comparison, the entire collected works of Edgar Allen Poe (Raven ed.) amount to 3,971 words.

Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick.

Still running pilpul instead of addressing my points, such a spoiled child.

What point did you want to make, child?

If you're already confused between thinking you made a point, and arguing about someone else doing so, you might need to get your meds checked.

Maybe the 70s and 80s were too long ago for you youngsters to treat seriously, but back in those days, in hard science major curricula, the data were not considered anything close to what you tykes think the data "says" these days. What was known to be important was the informed analysis. And it was known that people use data in selfish ways, even if their data can be assumed to be recorded without technical flaw, or technical bias.

The irony is hilarious there, a guy talking about using data in selfish ways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421365/ It wasnt until the end of the 70's that lead paint was even illegal here, yet the research for it had been available for over 50 years and already banned by other countries.

Looks like the repeat exposure to it has already had an effect on your ability to think clearly. Or maybe you learned the ability to ignore data back then, relying on what you believed to be informed analysis.

If you're upset that more information exists to inform the consumer shopping for this stuff, thats ok too. Nobody forces you to use it. You dont have to get your panties in a bunch when others choose to do so. Unless you're paying for it, why are you upset about what someone else buys?

On this sunny Friday afternoon, after reading Jay’s five thousand, three hundred and fifty-eight word treatise on his methodology, if I don’t deserve a Beer Friday then I don’t know who does. 🍺🍻🍺

For comparison, the entire collected works of Edgar Allen Poe (Raven ed.) amount to 3,971 words.

I believe you may need a one Bourbon, One Scotch, one one beer. Repeat as needed to cleanse you soul, or for get you ever saw the mess.

Reactions: carbonbased

Thanks for repeating the obvious point ad ad nauseam. Information exists, yet you're lacking in the understand to comprehend it. If the collected works of edgar allen poe influenced my decision when I went to spend $1500 for a supressor, I'd begin to give a shit about your example. Unfortunately, they dont.

Here, I did you a solid though.

Explaining suppression rating, methodology used ;)

Chatgpt prompt: please summarize the following test methodology as if you're explaining it to either a 5 year old, or an imbecile

Imagine you have a toy that makes loud noises, and you want to know how quiet you can make it with a special silencer. The PEW Science Suppression Rating is like a score that tells you how quiet the toy gets with the silencer on. Here's how it works:

1. Loudness at Two Spots: It checks how loud the toy is right where the noise comes out and where you are standing.
  2. How Long the Noise Lasts: It also looks at how long the noise lasts in both places.
  3. Hearing Safety: The score tells you if the noise can hurt your ears or the ears of people nearby.
  4. Silencer Match: It checks how well the silencer works with your specific toy.
  5. Overall Quietness: It measures how quiet the toy gets, which is important for keeping your ears safe.
The score goes from 0 to 100. A score of 0 means it's super loud and can hurt your ears, and 100 means it's super quiet and safe. This score helps everyone understand how well the silencer works to make the toy quieter and safer to use.

Further explanation on the test methods and results:

Imagine you have a bunch of toy guns and you want to know how loud they are when you play with them and how safe they are for your ears. Here's how we figure that out:
  1. Special Microphones: We use special microphones to measure the loudness. We put one near where the toy makes noise (the muzzle), one near your ear, and sometimes a few others in different spots.
  2. Different Toy Guns: We try lots of different toy guns with and without the silencer (the quiet maker). We shoot them from the same height off the ground and measure the noise.
  3. Five Shots: We shoot each toy gun five times to get good data, doing this inside and outside to see how different places affect the noise.
  4. Fancy Computer Tool: We use a special computer tool (PEW-SOFT) to understand all the noises from the microphones. It helps us know how loud each shot is and if it can hurt your ears.
  5. Safe and Not Safe: We look at the data and figure out how many times you can shoot each toy gun without hurting your ears. We make colorful charts that show this information.
  6. Different Spots, Different Noise: The noise near the toy and near your ear is different, so we look at both spots. This helps us know how safe it is for you and anyone nearby.
  7. Growing Data: We keep testing more toy guns and silencers, so our data gets better and more accurate over time.
  8. Hearing Damage Levels: We create special charts (Hearing Damage Levels) that show how many times you can shoot each toy gun without permanent ear damage, both near the toy and near your ear.
So, in short, we shoot toy guns, measure the noise in different places, and use fancy tools to make sure it's safe for your ears. The charts help us see which silencers work best to keep things quiet and safe.

Less than 600 words. Enjoy. Should be "minimally-autistic" and easy to digest, even in your case.

Thanks for repeating the obvious point ad ad nauseam. Information exists, yet you're lacking in the understand to comprehend it. If the collected works of edgar allen poe affected me every time I went to spend $1500 for a supressor, I'd begin to give a shit about your example. Unfortunately, they dont.

Chatgpt prompt: please summarize the following test methodology as if you're explaining it to either a 5 year old, or an imbecile

Imagine you have a toy that makes loud noises, and you want to know how quiet you can make it with a special silencer. The PEW Science Suppression Rating is like a score that tells you how quiet the toy gets with the silencer on. Here's how it works:

1. Loudness at Two Spots: It checks how loud the toy is right where the noise comes out and where you are standing.
  2. How Long the Noise Lasts: It also looks at how long the noise lasts in both places.
  3. Hearing Safety: The score tells you if the noise can hurt your ears or the ears of people nearby.
  4. Silencer Match: It checks how well the silencer works with your specific toy.
  5. Overall Quietness: It measures how quiet the toy gets, which is important for keeping your ears safe.
The score goes from 0 to 100. A score of 0 means it's super loud and can hurt your ears, and 100 means it's super quiet and safe. This score helps everyone understand how well the silencer works to make the toy quieter and safer to use.

Imagine you have a bunch of toy guns and you want to know how loud they are when you play with them and how safe they are for your ears. Here's how we figure that out:
  1. Special Microphones: We use special microphones to measure the loudness. We put one near where the toy makes noise (the muzzle), one near your ear, and sometimes a few others in different spots.
  2. Different Toy Guns: We try lots of different toy guns with and without the silencer (the quiet maker). We shoot them from the same height off the ground and measure the noise.
  3. Five Shots: We shoot each toy gun five times to get good data, doing this inside and outside to see how different places affect the noise.
  4. Fancy Computer Tool: We use a special computer tool (PEW-SOFT) to understand all the noises from the microphones. It helps us know how loud each shot is and if it can hurt your ears.
  5. Safe and Not Safe: We look at the data and figure out how many times you can shoot each toy gun without hurting your ears. We make colorful charts that show this information.
  6. Different Spots, Different Noise: The noise near the toy and near your ear is different, so we look at both spots. This helps us know how safe it is for you and anyone nearby.
  7. Growing Data: We keep testing more toy guns and silencers, so our data gets better and more accurate over time.
  8. Hearing Damage Levels: We create special charts (Hearing Damage Levels) that show how many times you can shoot each toy gun without permanent ear damage, both near the toy and near your ear.
So, in short, we shoot toy guns, measure the noise in different places, and use fancy tools to make sure it's safe for your ears. The charts help us see which silencers work best to keep things quiet and safe.

Less than 600 words. Enjoy. Should be "minimally-autistic" and easy to digest, even in your case.
It’s too bad you don’t seem to have a sense of humor or wish to engage constructively with, well, pretty much everyone here.

1717794823426.png

Toodles

<ignore engaged>

Last edited:
Thanks for repeating the obvious point ad ad nauseam. Information exists, yet you're lacking in the understand to comprehend it. If the collected works of edgar allen poe influenced my decision when I went to spend $1500 for a supressor, I'd begin to give a shit about your example. Unfortunately, they dont.

My one observation about you is based on the hyperbola filled attack on anyone who does not share you views and your use of sarcasm in the place of simple details and proven research. My observations are based on over 3 decades of dealing with insecure, less than capable people trying to impress senior leaders. But regardless of these observation Please go upstairs and give your mom a big hug.

If you're already confused between thinking you made a point, and arguing about someone else doing so, you might need to get your meds checked.

The irony is hilarious there, a guy talking about using data in selfish ways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421365/ It wasnt until the end of the 70's that lead paint was even illegal here, yet the research for it had been available for over 50 years and already banned by other countries.

Looks like the repeat exposure to it has already had an effect on your ability to think clearly. Or maybe you learned the ability to ignore data back then, relying on what you believed to be informed analysis.

If you're upset that more information exists to inform the consumer shopping for this stuff, thats ok too. Nobody forces you to use it. You dont have to get your panties in a bunch when others choose to do so. Unless you're paying for it, why are you upset about what someone else buys?
You win the progressive/leftist BINGO card lottery for the day. (1) Over-wordy. (2) Pointless polysyllabics. (3) Massive self-impression. (4) Confirmation Bias extraordinaire. (5) Absolute dearth of humility. (6) Inability to recognize your superiors, while assuming they all are your inferiors (redundant on nos 3 and 5 perhaps here).

If you think you are debating me, think again.

If you think you "taught me a lesson," rethink yet again.

If you admit you have more to learn than previously suggested, maybe I'll consider you are growing up.

Your posts on barfcom are equally as smug as these. Juvenile megalomania is a tough thing to conquer, I guess.