• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me with optics on a Tikka T1X

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
So a good buddy sold me a nice little Savage Mk II that I’m giving to my daughter so naturally I had to get something in .22lr as well. Picked up a Tikka T1x (plus ordered a KRG bravo, 419 rail, etc) and am having a hard time picking an optic. Bought a Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x for the Savage and it seems ok, but I’ve grown accustomed to nice glass. Part of me says just get another Diamondback Tac since it’s a .22 but part of me wants to buy something better.

I paid $350 shipped new for the Vortex and it seems pretty ok at that price. Interested in suggestions up to say $1000 or so? Or just get another Vortex since it’s only a .22 and call it a day?

I was in your same shoes a month ago and I put a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 on my T1x in a Bravo and have been very happy so far.

I had a lot of people recommend the Midas Tac so I picked one up. I’m very happy with it on my T1x.

Attachments

• 5CE138E4-3C0C-497E-B5E7-511C31CFE7BA.jpeg
    5CE138E4-3C0C-497E-B5E7-511C31CFE7BA.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 96
Good tracking should be at the top of your list, 22lr needs a lot of elevation at distance and you want a scope that runs straight.

Just gave my dad an Athlon Ares BTR for his T1X ... It's a good match and they are very reasonably priced since the ETR came out. FFP 30mm (as opposed to 34mm on the ETR) and has a solid Zero Stop. I have another on a Kidd 10/22 and have been very happy with it at between 5 and 6 hundred bucks.

I had a PST 5-25 on my T1x and it was a great piece of glass, after about a year of use I sold it and bought a 3-15 PST instead, which I'm now replacing with a 5-25 Strike Eagle.

I feel the 5-25 PST is better suited for a precision rimfire, I find with the 3-15 I'm wanting just a little more magnification a lot of the time.
The 5-25 PST would be my bet or the 5-25 SE, I haven't received my scope yet so can't comment on the SE but other reviews suggest it's very similar to the PST but with locking turrets and more elevation.

Reactions: Boltyboi
Thanks guys. Called up Doug at Cameraland and ordered up an Athlon Midas Tac.

Tested ammo today and my daughter’s rifle shoots great with SK rifle match so hoping the Tikka does as well (ran a few rounds today for function even though I don’t have an optic and no issues).

Really glad to hear that! I didn’t have any issues dropping some money on the rifle or ammo, but the glass was really bugging me

What height rings for the SE on the T1X?

I have a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 (30mm tube) on a 25MOA DIP rail. I used Warne Medium rings that are approx. .965 from scope rail to ring center. It has plenty of clearance, but isn't super high either.

Tikka-1.JPG

Hope this helps,
Bob S.

Reactions: *rim-star*
What height rings for the SE on the T1X?
Low rings should be fine.
I've ordered 1" Burris rings for mine but the .92" Vortex PMR rings should work aswell.

My scope hasn't arrived yet but based on the measurements taken from my T1x and PST G2 the above is correct.

I really like my Athlon Ares BTR. It’s tracked perfectly from 50 yards to 235 yards (10 mils) lots of time on my T1x 22lr.

I put an Arken EP4 4-16x50 on my TikkaT1. So far no complaints. It tracks great an glass is pretty good.

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 for around $900-1000 ($800 used) is a great purchase. 100% tracking in tests done by lowlight's training sessions. Glass quality is as sharp and crisp as any of the the $2000 scopes I've compared it with.

Eyebox isn't that great.
Parallax is a little stiff.

But it's really nice. I ran 2 of them, centerfire and rimfire. Recently upgraded to Tract 4.5-30x56.

Upgraded mainly due to having a much smoother parallax adjustment, and slightly better eyebox. But I still have kept my ETR as it performs so well I don't think there's any reason to sell it. It'll go on my next rifle.

I have a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 (30mm tube) on a 25MOA DIP rail. I used Warne Medium rings that are approx. .965 from scope rail to ring center. It has plenty of clearance, but isn't super high either.

Tikka-1.JPG

Hope this helps,
Bob S.

Thats a nice looking rifle, I am looking to get a Tikka T1X new or used.

Thats a nice looking rifle, I am looking to get a Tikka T1X new or used.

I think you'll be happy with it if you get one.

I just put mine in a KRG Bravo just because I have one on a Howa 1500 I have, and I like the way it fits me. I don't think it changed the accuracy of the gun, just my comfort behind the gun.

Mine likes SK Std + & SK Rifle Match - it's not bad with CCI Std. Vel., but had a few more flyers than the SK. (which I would expect)

I didn't check group size, but I got a few giggles when I tried some of the 300 yard steel targets at my club - once I dialed up about 12.5 mil, it was pop..... ding, pop.......ding, pop......ding. Ten out of ten = 12" on a target. Like I said, I don't know the group size, but it was a lot of fun.

Have fun,
Bob S.