• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with .308 subsonic loads

Fixr

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I have been looking around but I can't find any good published information on subsonic reloading data so I have a few questions. 1- Do you have a source for published subsonic reloading data? 2- My rifle has a 26" 1 in 11 twist barrel, has anyone had any success with 220 grain RN bullets, most of what I have read says they won't spin fast enough. 3- What are you successfully shooting .308 subsonic with?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Re: Help with .308 subsonic loads

Sierra manual has subsonic load for their 168 SMK

8.0 gr. of Trialboss , COAL 2.800"
8.0 gr. of Titegroup , COAL 2.800"

Sierra manual has subsonic load for their 168 SMK

8.0 gr. of Trialboss , COAL 2.800"
8.0 gr. of Titegroup , COAL 2.800"

For hunting try 10 grs., give or take a few tenths, of trailboss and 170 gr. Hornady 30-30 bullet.

Use pistol primers.

Thanks for reply Golfy, I have some 168 SMK's now I need to find some Trailboss.

Thanks Dave, that's interesting about the primers. I have heard of using large rifle magnum primers but not pistol primers. Can you tell what the benefits are for the different primers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting try 10 grs., give or take a few tenths, of trailboss and 170 gr. Hornady 30-30 bullet.

Use pistol primers.</div></div>

yep, I'm at 9.5grs of trailboss, 170gr FN Sierra 30/30 bullets w/ LR primers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fixr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Dave, that's interesting about the primers. I have heard of using large rifle magnum primers but not pistol primers. Can you tell what the benefits are for the different primers? </div></div>

Reduced velocity spread but with that being said neck tension also comes into play. It's all about doing the same thing each round with subs. Anneal, size, expand over a mandrel and load.