• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with hearing loss and tinnitus

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I read about a study of a new technique the developed at MIT wich give great promise in the restoration of hearing. Theyre still doing test so I tried to sign up but Im too old for this on, might get into another, but they are looking for people under 65 for this one. I figured a lot of you vets have problems from your service. The first link is to the studies themselves, the second about the science behind it. If anyone gets in id love to hear some first hand reports. I sure would like for that high pitched whine to stop.

1-https://www.clarahealth.com/studies/hearing-study.

2-And here is our science deck: https://investors.frequencytx.com/static-files/b2b53040-862c-439f-99b4-e27407e759e1

What I don't understand is combat vets that come back *without* hearing loss and tinnitus. There is such a thing, I understand.

I shot my dads 30-06 maybe 30 times with no hearing protection when I was 15, but what probably got me was riding fast bikes with loud headers for many decades. I'm 65 now. Tinnitus for last 20 years or so.

Reactions: JMatt762
    I have it the ringing but that was mostly born from 25K miles on a Harley and about 10K with no helmet or ear protection, the rest touring Europe on the same bike with no ear protection with an open face helmet like a fucking idiot. No study near me though.

Was at the range a while back with foam plugs which were fine for sporting clays and a friend took me up to the rifle range to shoot his 338 lapua. Cover range and I was like 20 feet away and he took a shot and it felt like someone jammed a ice pick in my ear and instant high pitch ringing on top of my tinnitus. I often wonder what it would be like not to have tinnitus how quite it must be .

Same problem caused by, in no particular order, rock music concerts, large fireworks, Harleys, jet engines, guns.........

Reactions: Maggot
    Be nice to not hear ringing all the time. Never realized how bad it was until I went inside the booth for a hearing test.

Reactions: Frgood and Maxwell
    Worst ear damage was when the wife was sitting on my face and had a orgasm and her thighs came together and popped my ears and I blacked out for minute.

Someone turn this into a meme of some kind... please! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
    Reactions: candyx
    It negatively affects my ability to sleep. I end up watching YouTube and stuff to "not hear it" until I fall asleep.

I like to stream music on my phone at night but it bothers my wife. I can barely hear it and she says it's too loud so she can't sleep

I hear what your saying…..ok maybe I don’t….

I’ve raised my hand in the booth. Just for the person testing to tell me they’d let me know when they start the test.

My hearing test looks like a ski jumping slope after 2500.

I am however not able to hear very high pitch sounds. Comes in handy for squealing pumps once and a while

Last edited:
    Reactions: M8541Reaper
    Was at the range a while back with foam plugs which were fine for sporting clays and a friend took me up to the rifle range to shoot his 338 lapua. Cover range and I was like 20 feet away and he took a shot and it felt like someone jammed a ice pick in my ear and instant high pitch ringing on top of my tinnitus. I often wonder what it would be like not to have tinnitus how quite it must be .
    Barrett M82-1 for me. All I heard for two days was the action cycle.

It negatively affects my ability to sleep. I end up watching YouTube and stuff to "not hear it" until I fall asleep.
    Thats the only time it doesn't bother me when sleeping and taking a shower.

My last hearing test had the technician putting the little X’s literally off the chart for sensitivity (it’s been 20ish years, do they even still chart by hand on paper?), right up until she hit the frequency of my tinnitus, then it dipped down to almost the bottom of the chart, then back up to the top…

What is really funny to me, however, is the whole mentality of “won’t take vaccine injection because ‘it’s experimental,’ but will sign up for experimental cell growth therapy…”

• Wow
    Reactions: SWgeezer
    Canuckistanians are not eligible. Dammit.

There was a time when I heard down to -10. I argued with the ear-drumologist and said 'how can I hear someting that is 'less than sound'"? He told me "no, that's not how it works. Sound is measured down to -30 db. Actually, you have pretty much the best hearing I've ever actually seen." He then went on to describe to me the issues I'd been having, and why.

That was the start.

Then with a whole pile of shooting, not to mention working industry for a number of years.... I now have the fun of full-time daily 'tinitus'. And a bunch of other 'consolation prizes'. So yeah, I won't deny that there was actually a 'glimmer of hope'......

Crushed.

So yeah, I actually DO hope that there is progress with this study. Power to ya'll, who can!

I checked out the link. Im too far away from their clinics.

My hearing sucks mostly from woodworking when I was younger. I never wore any hearing protection. I do everything I can now to protect what I have left.

I have crazy hearing loss and tinnitus from rock n roll and gunfire. Hearing aid technology can reduce the ringing. When it was described to me I thought it was BS but after a few months it's noticeably better. Check it out.

i have pretty bad tinnitus...but every hearing test ive taken puts me in the "normal" range....

im assuming there has been hearing loss....but that its not bad enough to push me out of the acceptable standard.

My understanding is that tinnitus and hearing loss are two different phenomena. I'm in the same boat - constant ringing in both ears, but no significant hearing loss in the usable range.

That being said, everything above 10 kHz is gone, but much of that can be attributed to aging and it doesn't really affect anything in daily life. I did a demo on signals and waves for my son's 4th-grade classroom, and used a signal generator to do a sine sweep from 20 Hz to 22 kHz. I dropped off early, my wife and the teacher were good up to 15-16k, and every kid still had their hand up at 18k. Ah, youth.

Reactions: T-dog
    Be nice to not hear ringing all the time. Never realized how bad it was until I went inside the booth for a hearing test.
    We have hearing test at work yearly . We go in a truck with a series of cubicles next to each other . When the test my right ear ( totally deaf ) it's so loud that the guys on either side of me get false hits .😂

What I don't understand is combat vets that come back *without* hearing loss and tinnitus. There is such a thing, I understand.

I shot my dads 30-06 maybe 30 times with no hearing protection when I was 15, but what probably got me was riding fast bikes with loud headers for many decades. I'm 65 now. Tinnitus for last 20 years or so.
    Me too. Grew up shooting, everything, including pistol with no earpro. Who wears hearing protection in the dove patch?

Then running a chainsaw everyday with the muffler removed to get more power, later heavy equipment all day, then running a shooting range and being under a metal roof canopy and forgetting to pull your ears down when someone touches off a 7mag., then riding a Harley with straight drag pipes...
    My right ear is fried and has had tinnitus for at least 20 years and now vertigo. I need a head implant.

Me too. Grew up shooting, everything, including pistol with no earpro. Who wears hearing protection in the dove patch?

Then running a chainsaw everyday with the muffler removed to get more power, later heavy equipment all day, then running a shooting range and being under a metal roof canopy and forgetting to pull your ears down when someone touches off a 7mag., then riding a Harley with straight drag pipes...
    My right ear is fried and has had tinnitus for at least 20 years and now vertigo. I need a head implant.
    Huh? What'd you say?

Reactions: T-dog
    This early 80s? Plasmatics concert I attended didn't help....
    1651676812418.png

Reactions: Halfnutz
    Yep, I got it too. Loud concerts, loud car stereos, operating heavy equipment, bikes with open race pipes, etc. I get the ringing, but I also get a weird fluttering when I lay down on a pillow at night sometimes, like there's a moth or something in my ear, but there's nothing there. It's annoying as hell.

I've had tinnitus my entire life. I had ear problems when I was a kid, specifically with fluid buildup, and I had to get tubes multiple times. The ringing/hum was just something I associated with silence and I didn't think anything of it then. I definitely haven't done myself any favors since, but it's something that bothers me daily now that I'm older. I play music almost constantly when I'm alone - especially when working - and to sleep at night I need white noise (such as the bathroom fan) and/or music playing to distract me. I've never been to a doctor for it specifically, but everything I read has said they're just going to tell me "sucks to be you" or potentially prescribe anti-anxiety meds if it's really affecting my day-to-day life.

My problem: Pass the hearing test every time. Still have the ringing, so they did an additional test...yep tinnitus.

Even worse parts is I guess I've trained myself to hear even with the tinnitus. I've made my wife turn off the TV or stop talking....I'm like can't you hear that noise?? It was the sink faucet dripping. LOL Sure high end HZ frequencies are lost...but damn it if I can't pick up low HZ "bumping". Think of like a car door closing...I hear things all the time.

Probably won’t help me my eardrums are perforated, but who knows.

Reactions: Redheeler
    Now I know what contributed to my hearing loss and tinnitus. 20+ GD concerts in the mid seventies. Although the loudest concert I ever went to was Marshall Tucker at the Filmore East.
    Makes me think about the Kraan concert I went to at a small bar in Munchen. It was loud but most of my hearing damage was firearms, weapons related. T54/55, DSHK, mortars, RPG's, 107's, vehicles, generators etc etc etc

Shooting, running heavy equipment and working on large industrial engines and gas compressors in the oil patch. Hearing loss in both ears as well as constant tinnitus. Mom was totally deaf and saw an audiologist a couple of years ago to establish a baseline. After the test I asked what I should do and his reply was don't spend alot of money on audio equipment. Smart ass.

Left ear is a solid ring.

Right ear is constant pitch Oscillation.

A box fan or something similar helps me sleep. Dead silence its hard to fall asleep.

Reactions: stefan73
    Anyone else’s hearing come and go? I have tinnitus but I’m used to it if it’s not dead quiet, but sometimes my hearing will get worse in an ear like I have an ear plug in and the ringing gets really loud for a while the goes back to “normal”.

Also some days I have this pressure sort of feeling deep in my ear and everything is slightly muffled but sounds are “painful” for lack of a better word. Like I said before both of my ear drums popped 10-12 years ago. Also If I blow my nose really hard instead of air building up in my middle ear it blows straight out. Ive failed hearing tests for jobs with flying colors, I walk out and they just shake their head at me lol.

I can’t hear people if I’m not facing them and I read lips if there’s a lot of background noise, but if I’m walking through the woods and a squirrel or bird is moving around my eyes go straight to it in thick brush I don’t have to search around it’s weird. People for whatever reason are real hard to hear.

believe me when I say take care of your hearing. Years of loud tools, guns, race cars, and concerts so loud your hearing was messed up for 2-3 days after took there toll. Busting my eardrums didn’t help, but wear earplugs.

Last edited:
    Ear infections, as a child, years of loud music, power tools and shooting have taken their toll on my hearing and given me tinnitus. High pitched sounds aggravate it, most. I sleep with low pitch noise machine and it helps. Sometimes I put in ear plugs and the noise machine, at the same time. It provides a muted, low pitch, white noise that seems to help the most. I wear hearing protection, if I do anything that may be loud, or aggravate it. The ENT says there's little that can be done to stop the ringing. Right now, I'm dealing with it pretty well.

Ear infections, as a child, years of loud music, power tools and shooting have taken their toll on my hearing and given me tinnitus. High pitched sounds aggravate it, most. I sleep with low pitch noise machine and it helps. Sometimes I put in ear plugs and the noise machine, at the same time. It provides a muted, low pitch, white noise that seems to help the most. I wear hearing protection, if I do anything that may be loud, or aggravate it. The ENT says there's little that can be done to stop the ringing. Right now, I'm dealing with it pretty well.
    They claim people are driven to suicide by it, from my experience they must be pretty weak people in general. I only notice mine when it ramps up or it’s dead quiet. Even a fan drowns it out enough I can ignore it.

• Wow
    The funny part of tinnitus has nothing to do with your ears , its a tell tale sign that your brain dead.

Reactions: TXAZ
    Anyone else’s hearing come and go? I have tinnitus but I’m used to it if it’s not dead quiet, but sometimes my hearing will get worse in an ear like I have an ear plug in and the ringing gets really loud for a while the goes back to “normal”.

Also some days I have this pressure sort of feeling deep in my ear and everything is slightly muffled but sounds are “painful” for lack of a better word. Like I said before both of my ear drums popped 10-12 years ago. Also If I blow my nose really hard instead of air building up in my middle ear it blows straight out. Ive failed hearing tests for jobs with flying colors, I walk out and they just shake their head at me lol.

I can’t hear people if I’m not facing them and I read lips if there’s a lot of background noise, but if I’m walking through the woods and a squirrel or bird is moving around my eyes go straight to it in thick brush I don’t have to search around it’s weird. People for whatever reason are real hard to hear.

believe me when I say take care of your hearing. Years of loud tools, guns, race cars, and concerts so loud your hearing was messed up for 2-3 days after took there toll. Busting my eardrums didn’t help, but wear earplugs.
    I have had tinnitus for so long I just got to the point where I tune it out no pun intended. There are times when it gets louder for whatever reason and that is when I notice it. Don't hear worth a shit when there is a lot of background noise or when my wife is pissed with the latter being more attributable to my passive/aggressive nature. Funny thing when hunting I seem to hear everything.