• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady "Suspend" List

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
Here is a list my local kitchen-table-gun-dealer forwarded to me this afternoon.

It is a list of ~150 items Hornady is discontinuing until further notice:

Sorry they're upside down. In Adobe, you can select "view", then "rotate view" to fix it, but it doesn't save it flipped for you.

This is a bummer.

Some of the heavy hitters:

75 and 80gr amax

105amax

178hpbt

208hpbt

and worst: 162amax and 162hpbt...lot of 7mm guys are going to be bullshit about this.

View attachment cover.pdfView attachment Suspend1.pdfView attachment suspend2.pdf

Last edited:
I am just stocking up on components for reloading = I will not get caught short again. It has happened twice and I am now twice warned. I think if you can buy ammo at fair prices you will do better than putting your money under the matteress.

Why the hell would Hornady discontinue/"suspend" some of their most popular bullet lines?!?

wow, that sucks. Lots of people are gonna be pissed about that... just glad the 6.5mm 140 Amax isn't on the list. I was going to rebarrel my .223 to either .223AI for the 75/80 Amax or to a 6mm to shoot the 105 Amax. Maybe now I'll have to wait, or jsut shoot seirra's.

As far as it impacts the "snipershide", I think the 162s in 7mm are the biggest issue.

For a number of cartridges in 7mm, those are **the** bullet. No one makes a suitable replacement. You've got 168 VLDs from Berger, (crappy) 168 Sierras, and then the 175smk, which is really a bit heavy and slow for the lower-horsepower 7mm-08(ish) cartridges.

75 and 80 amax is a big hit too, but the 77gr sierra is a suitable replacement - while not as high performance as the amax, most people shooting .224" barrels don't need a "maximum BC" bullet.

Yep, Im rethinking my 7wsm build now. Might be scrapping it and building a 300win mag. 7mm and 30cal bergers are close in cost so.

As far as it impacts the "snipershide", I think the 162s in 7mm are the biggest issue.

For a number of cartridges in 7mm, those are **the** bullet. No one makes a suitable replacement. You've got 168 VLDs from Berger, (crappy) 168 Sierras, and then the 175smk, which is really a bit heavy and slow for the lower-horsepower 7mm-08(ish) cartridges.

75 and 80 amax is a big hit too, but the 77gr sierra is a suitable replacement - while not as high performance as the amax, most people shooting .224" barrels don't need a "maximum BC" bullet.

Very true. It seems like everyone shooting a 7mm shoots the 162's but you always see people shooting other bullets in the other cals.

Is this April Fools???????

This is unbelievable....... Hornady must be making money hand over fist, to suspend some of their best products.

now I better understand why mr.Zediker once advised against building anything if not around some bullet coming from the "green boxes" _

Just when I thought I was stocked and could throttle back on buying components for my 7-08...

Why suspend the 178 HPBT???

Also, the 75 *and* 80gr .224 A-Max? Every fast-twist centerfire shooter is gonna feel this one square in the nads.

Why suspend the 178 HPBT???

Also, the 75 *and* 80gr .224 A-Max? Every fast-twist centerfire shooter is gonna feel this one square in the nads.

Yeah...

Have fun with your 223AI with the 77smk...

I advise anyone that thinks this sucks to email hornady about it, and articulate the specific bullets you want them to keep producing.

I understand their premise - suspend production of the "also ran" components to make more of the high demand stuff.

I think the shooting industry could more easily handle a drought in 500gr .50cal XTPs than it can 162amax.

Hell, their whole .224 line is gone, just going to help keep up the stalemate of components. F**k

The guys that are really going to hurt are the .224. I shoot alot of .224 bullets, and thank goodness the 75 HPBT is not on the list.

Last edited:
The guys that are really going to hurt are the .224. I shoot alot of .224 bullets, and thank goodness the 75 HPBT is not on the list.

If you open the center picture above, on page 4 it shows the 162 amax, and 162 bthp bullets as suspended, not just the 7 mag ammo.

Last edited:
JUST finished a .223 set up for the 75 AMAX.
If this come about, I'll be rethinking all Hornady products.
CRAP!

Welp, looks like that takes the 7mm's off the build list for the next rifle, I was thinking hard about a .284. Looks like I'd better stock up on 6.5 Berger 130's.

Maybe what they were keeping in production would be a shorter list? What the fuck!?

This was my exact thought.

That said, there are two bullets on that list that I've been thinking about that while out of stock most places right now, my local dealer has 1 box of each. I had some backordered from Brownells and they sent me the wrong bullets, but they were hard enough to get I didn't complain. Now I'm wondering if I should buy what my local shop has, or just skip it as I'm not sure it's even worth working up a load if I can only get 100 bullets of each.

I also have several other bullets that I really like that are on that list. I'm especially sad to see the Z-Max bullets go. Oh well, I guess it's time to start trying to find something else.

.308 150 FMJ and 150 BTSP?
9mm 115 XTP?
.30-30 150 RN and 170 FP?

Yeah, all that unpopular stuff that never sells.

man, what a bummer! I'm glad I decided on a 6.5mm vice a 7mm barrel but totally bummed about my new 223 barrel that I had specifically throated for the 75AMAX.

This isn't good news, but I for one (after reading the cover letter) am pleased to see that Hornady is mature enough to look at reality and make some hard decisions. "...you realistically would not receive [for] the balance of this year." The fact is there is FAR too much demand for capacity with the full product line, and they've got to grease the squeaky wheel. In their judgement, it's better to concentrate resources and get caught up. That's their call. We'll see how long this "temporary suspension" lasts and if Hornady ends up loosing market share in the long run, or comes back on-line and fills orders sooner than the other guy. I've been patient this long, I can play the long game some more.

This opens up the door for competition to Hornady. Maybe Sierra or Nosler will produce a 75 gr AMAX-like product.

Wow, really wouldn't be going .284 right NOW if I knew they scrapped both 162s. Glad I just bought a new barrel, headspace gauge, etc. This sucks. I feel like I am going on what, 5 years of this shortage crap? The government might not stop me from shooting but the frigging manufacturers sure are. Worse, here I sit contemplating buying a .22 conversion for a 1911 without any ammo available. I should have my head examined for staying in this sport.

Last edited:
This really pissed me off tonight when I heard about this crap! I wrote Hornady right after in hopes I'll get a response back it's not true. Maybe if enough people bitch about it they will reconsider certain bullets. Who knows... I can understand that demand is high and they may want to curtail certain production lines to accommodate, but I am really blown away by some of the bullets on this list. If this ends up being the case, this will be the last of Hornady's products I buy as well. It takes too much time and money to keep building rifles around bullets to just not be able to get them at all. Very disappointed Hornady.

This sucks. Thanks to the OP for posting this. As others said, if enough people complain and request that certain products not be suspended, maybe Hornady will listen? Send them an email through their website.

Why would they suspend some of there best seller . I think people need to quick believing everthing you read. But wait if its on the internet it has to be true:D

Anyone got them to respond as to why?

The OP attached the cover sheet which states the are trying to keep up with demand and by reducing changeover of equipment setup; in another word, they are making the popular calibers first and getting more equipment to make the items on the suspended list.

I'm glad I have enough room to toss the heavy 7mms. Plenty of VLDs, Hybrids and SMKs still around.

I do hope they reconsider the 162 .284s though.

The OP attached the cover sheet which states the are trying to keep up with demand and by reducing changeover of equipment setup; in another word, they are making the popular calibers first and getting more equipment to make the items on the suspended list.

I don't think that any of the bullet makers make all models of bullets, every day of the week, anyhow. Like you reference, there are changeovers that occur. In the past, they've probably been able to fairly well predict inventory trends and so those changeovers were seemless and not really noticed by reloaders.

Not no more.

Chris

Last edited:
Why would they suspend some of there best seller . I think people need to quick believing everthing you read. But wait if its on the internet it has to be true:D

While I can't guarantee the accuracy of the cover letter and list that I posted, it passes the sniff test of authenticity to me.

First off, it came from my FFL friend/kitchen table gun dealer, whom I know and trust. He claimed it was faxed to him by one of his distributors. The form was very obviously faxed - look at it.

Sure, maybe someone phony baloney'd it, but I don't think so.

Tell ya what: Why don't you build yourself either a .223AI or 7mm-08, in anticipation of all the fabulous bullets that will be awaiting you!

Can't believe this thread. It reads as if about ONE other person read the gd cover letter, and understood it.

And as a side note . . . apparently, some of these bullets aren't as popular as YOU think they are.

All I see is loaded ammo, no where does it say .224 or .284's. Is it only the three pages?

IDK about the 178 HPBT as I called about an order we have and talked to the rep. She put me on hold and walked back to production and told me our order was going to be about three weeks late, instead of July we will get it in August. I will be super pissed if we don't get it! I have all kind shit based around that bullet, whiz wheels, three rifles that shoot well with it plus my tools have been set to this bullet...

ETA I just left midways site and the have marked the 178 and the loaded 178 (#8105) as unavailable!!! Fuck me running, well I am going to call
Monday!

Last edited:
Notice the word suspend is being used, not dropped. I am guessing they are just focusing their resources on their top selling bullets and then will continue production with these later. This is no different than what Sierra, Berger, or any other company is doing however Hornady is just letting people know. Also on the list it said Ammo I did not see where it said bullets.

I picked up a 600ct box of 80 A-Max from Powder Valley last night; that plus my current stash should get me through another year or so in my 223AI.

The 105 Amax and 162 Amax/HPBT are stupidly popular bullets in their caliber. Maybe not .224 55gr FMJBT popular, but still, pretty darn widely used. Same for the 178 HPBT - why would that bullet be suspended when its so popular with 308 shooters?

I get that hard business decisions need to be made, and they're gonna do what they think is best...but throw yer customers a little bone, eh?

Why in the HELL would they quit the 162 amax!!?? Or the 80 grain amax. That is just plain dumb.

And also if any HORNADY reps are looking. Where did the magical unicorn hide the 208 amaxs?? I have been looking to buy 2 500 bulks for like 5 months!!

Anyone got them to respond as to why?

Hornady states in the cover letter the reason for suspsending is "...one area that will allow us to produce more is cutting the number of change overs in production equipment."

I know changing tooling is a major time sink for me, would be even worse I suspect for Hornady.