• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How to add padding to Eagle Stock?

jc89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
UC Irvine/Bay Area home
Hey guys,

For those of you who have an Eagle stock, how do you add padding to raise the comb of the stock rest? Can you actually insert foam inside the rest, or do you place it between your rifle and the stock?

Re: How to add padding to Eagle Stock?

i would say most will use something like a mouse pad or sinilar which is like neoprene kinda. wrestling mat or anything really to raise it up. ive seen guys just duct tape it down once the get the height. then the stock pad covers it. you dont want it loose under there or it will shift. but you could use anything. i guess it doesnt have to be spongy,squishy stuff either.

I have used a folded up hand towel and duct tape under one stock pack, and on another rifle I have a piece of styrofoam cut to height placed between my stock and pack. Nothing really set in stone, improvise and use what works for you.

I use an old beer can koozie under mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

For those of you who have an Eagle stock, how do you add padding to raise the comb of the stock rest? Can you actually insert foam inside the rest, or do you place it between your rifle and the stock? </div></div>

IMO the best way, by far, is to use 2" wide self adhesive velcro. Stick one piece of hook only to the stock under the cheekpiece. then make spacers with adhesive sides back-to-back with hook on one side and loop on the other. Insert as many as needed to attain the desired height and the last one will be hook side up. Re-attach the pack as it has loop on the underside and VIOLA!

Now you have a ROCK SOLID cheekpiece that no longer needs the rear strap and can be easily removed when you need to run a rod through the barrel.

IIRC, there's a Hide member who'll do a mod on Eagle Stock Packs so that you can put the extra padding for height inside of the pack. Redman I think.
In addition of course to the other replies on this topic. And as of last check, Brownells carried several versions of self adhesive foam "risers" to adjust one's cheekweld height.
Also there are Karsten kydex cheekpieces which some run underneath of their stock packs. And similar others, such as those made by Defensive Edge, etc.

I took a piece of foam and taped it on, then strapped my pad over it. Works just fine. You can see the foam if you look at it from the right angle, but who cares?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took a piece of foam and taped it on, then strapped my pad over it. Works just fine. You can see the foam if you look at it from the right angle, but who cares?</div></div>
Problem with these type solutions is that if you make it long and tape it down, you can't remove the bolt.
Velco solution is the best bet.

I have a MARS rail on my work rifle so I needed to raise it up a bit. I got some foam an old egg crate and strapped the pad over it. Use as much as you need to get the right height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took a piece of foam and taped it on, then strapped my pad over it. Works just fine. You can see the foam if you look at it from the right angle, but who cares?</div></div>
Problem with these type solutions is that if you make it long and tape it down, you can't remove the bolt.
Velco solution is the best bet. </div></div>

Really? I've never noticed when I take my bolt out
wink.gif

With a short-action there is zero problem. And you can still take the pad off pretty easy.

I ran mine too far up the stock instead of leaving it down by the butt. Couldn't get the bolt out with it in place. Worse with scope with fairly short eye relief.
My .02

I use a cut up GI pad. I tape it down under the Eagle stock pack. Never had a problem with pulling the bolt out. As long as you use a little planning and test fitting you won't have to worry about it. I can pull the bolt with the pad and the pack on there.

100_2907.jpg

100_2911.jpg

On my long action, I have a small notch cut in the top of the pad (no Stock pack because of the adjustable LOP).

100_1710.jpg

You can kind of see the notch in this pic. It's the only one I have that comes anywhere near being able to see it.

I used a 6" piece of pipe insulation and a velcro kit from Walmart to attach it to the velcro on the inside of my stock pack...works like a charm.

How do you guys get your bore guide and cleaning rod to clear your taped on foam?

BnG

take a bunch of foam, rubber, mousepads, whatever and put it under the stock pack w/o any adhesive. figure out how much you need to raise your head.

once you know how much padding you're going to put under the stock pack, TAPE THE PADDING TO THE STOCK PACK.

now when you take the stock pack off, you can take out the bolt and run a cleaning rod without any problems.

and when you put the stock pack back on, it will be the same as before.

If one wants to get serious about it, building a solid, removable riser's always an option. This way http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=1367761

Or get some foam, & once it's shaped to your satisfaction, put a couple of layers of fiberglass on it, top, & bottom. So that again, it's a solid, removable riser. And can be designed to be run either with, or without a cheekpack overtop of the riser.
Though you should test out the foam with the intended resin prior to going this route, as certain resins eat some types of foam.