• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How to reload the spent brass from HK G3 rifles.

TimResin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Well Between my father and I we have 4 .308 rifles and we decided to finally get into reloading. But both of his two .308 rifles are HK G3 platform rifles. Ones a Springfield Armory SAR-3 basically a HK91 the other is a SAR-8 HB basically a poor mans PSG1. Well the HK rifles are going to dent the brass. http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/weird-308-damage-1.jpg

Is there anything I can do to remove the dents?

Re: How to reload the spent brass from HK G3 rifles.

just run them thru the sizing die to round it out anything that doesnt come out will fireform out. the ridges will come put when you resize them you might want to invest in a shell deflector for your guns, i made one for mine out of a small seagull shaped piece of metal at the ejection port and it doesnt beat the brass up or throw the brass into the next county anymore

Those dents are nothing to worry about. I load for an AK that does worse.

308, my g3 and my buddys 2 g3's dont slam the primer pockets maybe you should have a gunsmith check it out or at least try it with another bolt

the op was talking about brass from a g3, so i thought yours was another knockoff not a completely different rifle

No offense taken, it is about sharing knowledge.

Check each and every piece of brass for web stretches. G3s can be hard on brass.

I've never gotten a G3 case to make it through my standard resizing die.
They seem to get pretty fat.
I'd also wager that case-head separations would become the norm afer a few reloads.

Nothing like Zebra looking Nickel Plated brass......
Port buffer is a good idea. Case life will be short. With 4 different chambers.....one might consider a full length small base die to ensure chambering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Between my father and I we have 4 .308 rifles and we decided to finally get into reloading. But both of his two .308 rifles are HK G3 platform rifles. Ones a Springfield Armory SAR-3 basically a HK91 the other is a SAR-8 HB basically a poor mans PSG1. Well the HK rifles are going to dent the brass. http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/weird-308-damage-1.jpg

Is there anything I can do to remove the dents? </div></div>

I've reloaded for my HK-91 for 15 years and the biggest problem I've had is finding them in the grass some 40' away.

They look hopeless when they emerge from the chamber, but I've never had a problem sizing them back down, but maybe my German reamed chamber is spot on dimensionally?

I will agree, that one doesn't probably get 40 reloads out of a G3/91 chamber, but as I mentioned above, just being able to find them will make longevity a moot point.

I don't know what the other fellow is talking about regarding a primer pocket crimp. I don't see how that's possible and how that's inherent in the delayed roller bolt system? It has never been an issue for me and in all of the hundreds of posts I've read on reloading for the G3 family of rifles, I've never once read about this supposed 'primer pocket crimp' being applied upon firing.

Happy New Year,

Chris

I pick them up when I see them, (Though I utter a sad lament as to the sad fate they suffered, being fired in such a hostile chamber), then clean them and reload them. I have noticed that some are a little sticky in my case guage and when chambering them. This suggests they would require a small base resizing to bring them all the way back to spec.

But they shoot just fine and they are free so it's a win/win!

try a brass catcher from E&L mfg

104.jpg

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/brasscatcher.html#Anchor-3800

it must be only be from the H&K 770 model semi rifle 308sako is talking about and has nothing to do with the g3 series rifle or its clones

I refer to the linear ridges running the length of the cases, from extractor grooove to the shoulder, all the way around the case. While I can feel the ridges, they do resize enough to chamber in my bolt guns. I tend to believe I too will not get many reloads out of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get the fluted chamber effect as well, it is a large circular area around the primer pocket which is basically a crimp or swage to prevent the primer from coming out when the action cycles... brilliant for a combat rifle, don't know as the wife needs it thought! </div></div>

I didn't mean to imply that you're wrong, just that I've studied my HK-91 bolt many times and I don't see what would be applying a crimp around the primer pockets. My bolt face is flat like every other bolt that I have.

Chris

308sako's not talking about a hk91/cetme/G3 series bolt, hes talking about a bolt in his wifes hk 770 sporter semi made by hk, check the pic a couple posts up,it looks like a oversized ruger 10/22