• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to x" jam bullet

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
I'm trying to understand the jamming of a bullet. This thread is not about if I should be or not, but more about how to.
I have read articles where people jam, let's say .005" (or whatever). My question is, how do you? I can find the jam point by multiple methods. If I extend the seating, wouldn't the lands just press the bullet in the cartridge more and hence be at the jam point with a less OAL than what you loaded?
I am trying to understand how do you move further in the lands, beyond the jam point? My assumption is, increase the neck tension. Is that correct, are there any other opinions on the "how to"?

New to reloading and I am trying to understand the workings.

Thank you

Depends how you define “jam.” Some define it as the touch point and others define it where the bullet will stick and get pulled out of the case.

Neck tension (the whole thing not just the inside diameter) determines where the stick point is and it also determines when/how far the bullet will push back into the case

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I'm trying to understand the jamming of a bullet. This thread is not about if I should be or not, but more about how to.
I have read articles where people jam, let's say .005" (or whatever). My question is, how do you? I can find the jam point by multiple methods. If I extend the seating, wouldn't the lands just press the bullet in the cartridge more and hence be at the jam point with a less OAL than what you loaded?
I am trying to understand how do you move further in the lands, beyond the jam point? My assumption is, increase the neck tension. Is that correct, are there any other opinions on the "how to"?

New to reloading and I am trying to understand the workings.

Thank you
What will you be reloading for, bench, hunting, or self defense?
Many that jam them in have had to clear the chamber, before firing the round and the result was the bullet stayed in the throat, the case pulled out spilling powder into the lug locking area. Then after punching the bullet out the weapon would not go into battery with the next round until that small amount of powder was removed. Some you could breath blow or shake out, some you could not.
To me a weapon that will potentially not go bang because you are looking for that last 1/10 moa on target is useless. Better to concentrate on reading mother nature and shooting tighter groups with ammo that will not render the weapon inoperative.

Depends how you define “jam.” Some define it as the touch point and others define it where the bullet will stick and get pulled out of the case.

Neck tension (the whole thing not just the inside diameter) determines where the stick point is and it also determines when/how far the bullet will push back into the case
Touch is touch, anything beyond that is jam. Jam, when the bullet pulls ? C'mon man ,

So it's "Neck tension" now ? How many thousands of times have you chimed in saying there is no such thing it's called interference fit ? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok
Decided to click the show ignored button. You didn't actually read what I wrote. I said neck tension is the entire thing, not just the inside diameter. The inside diameter is the interference fit.

So, I'm not sure how you interpreted what I wrote as to meaning something different than I've been saying for years. "Neck Tension" is a totality of several things.....including the inside diameter or interference fit. Both "inside diameter" and "interference fit" are the same thing and can be used interchangeably. Be smarter when you want to try to call people on shit.

And yes, I agree. I define touch, jam, and sticking point as exactly that. But, just like "neck tension" people use the terms incorrectly.

I know you hate Cortina, and I don't agree with his terminology.....but, he has more sway and influence than both you and I combined. He calls "jam" the point where the bullet sticks. So many shooters use this definition. I don't agree with it.....but, when trying to explain something to people, you have to acknowledge all definitions until you figure out which one they are using.

And there's your lesson for the month. Back on ignore for you.

Reactions: Doom and ShtrRdy
I have read articles where people jam, let's say .005" (or whatever).

Benchrest shooters are the ones who do this the most and they use that term based on a reference to the point where the bullet just touches the lands. So "jam 0.005" would be 5 thousandths past touch. If you define jam as the hard stop end point, then it's not really possible to jam 0.005 beyond that.

I think the most accurate way to find the touch point is the "Wheeler method" where you use a stripped bolt and a fully sized case to seat a bullet and feel the lands as you seat the bullet further and further into the case.

Reactions: UndFrm and ShtrRdy
I am trying to understand how do you move further in the lands, beyond the jam point? My assumption is, increase the neck tension.

Yes, increase neck tension. But then you’ll have to deal with the seater plug deforming the bullet nose. So then people will tell you to lap the seater plug to match the bullet nose. It’s all a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Doom
7mm 180 VLD shoots the house down with jam. I bought too many before the hybrids came out and I’m just now switching over.

Today you should just find hybrids and skip the jam.

Reactions: Doom