• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

HS-6 or win 231 for 9mm and 124 grain hp?

Codiekfx400

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
I am looking to load the 124 rmr hollow point in mixed head stamp brass on a XL750. I would like to be on the higher velocity end of the load but still safe. Will be using wsp primers. Should I go with Hodgdon HS-6 or Winchester 231?

I used to load 9 major for my open Guns with hs6. Was a great, fast powder

Reactions: st1650
231 is going to give you relatively low velocities.

Reactions: 308pirate
I am looking to load the 124 rmr hollow point in mixed head stamp brass on a XL750. I would like to be on the higher velocity end of the load but still safe. Will be using wsp primers. Should I go with Hodgdon HS-6 or Winchester 231?

HS-6 or CFE Pistol are ideal for what you want. W231/HP38 is maybe a bit too fast burning for max speed.

hs-6 is popular for 9 major.

so where did you get the wsp primers or have you been sitting on them for YEARS? i haven't seen a single Win primer drop in over a year.

hs-6 is popular for 9 major.

so where did you get the wsp primers or have you been sitting on them for YEARS? i haven't seen a single Win primer drop in over a year.
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like hs-6 it is. I picked up the wsp a long time ago they are still white box.

Not a reason for the 6.4 grains. That’s just what I settled on. The little bit of research I did said hs-6 would burn cleaner at higher pressure. Taken directly from rmr website. We’ve been testing them for a while in calibrated ballistics gel and results have been very promising. It is recommended that you shoot them at 1150 FPS or more to get reliable expansion for self defense or hunting purposes.

I'm interested that you choose a CZ shadow for other than competition purposes. Cool guns, but I've just never seen them used otherwise.

I personally use win 231 for everything. 9mm 40sw and 45acp. Not really a great powder but a do it all powder. But I’m not chasing speed. Just plinking loads

Reactions: clcustom1911
I personally use win 231 for everything. 9mm 40sw and 45acp. Not really a great powder but a do it all powder. But I’m not chasing speed. Just plinking loads

Same here. Use it for 9mm & .45ACP. But, with HP-38(same stuff as W231). My 9mm load for 124's is: 4.2gr of HP-38, seated at 1.150" Max, per Hodgdon is 4.4 grains for HP-38.

I am just a backyard target shooter but out of all the pistols I have the cz shadow is my favorite. Comfortable and fun to shoot. No comparison to my Glock 17 or Springfield xd.

Reactions: Choid