• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting optic...

Skidkidd

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before I just can't find it so I will ask again. I've got some pretty nice glass on top of my rifles but there always seems to be a sacrifice. My range guns are fine but it's my field guns I'm looking to correct. I'm searching for a nice scope with turrets that I can hunt with. The ones I have which are nice also have fairly thin crosshairs. Which are great for not covering the target at distances but horrible in low light hunting situations. The hunting scopes I have that work great in low light have no turrets for adjustment so I have to usually end up doing a hold over and hoping it's correct. Are there any hunting scopes with turrets and nice thick crosshairs you can see in low light????

Reactions: jp_over
I purchased a nxs 2.5-10x42. Going to try it out this whitetail season and possibly on a bear hunt this August. Crosshair is not overly thick. It's illuminated, so if your state allows it maybe helpful. I also upgraded my first hunting rifle from a Nikon to Leica. I got a great deal on one of the capped turret versions. It didn't bother me. It's on a 700 I use for thick woods hunting and will never need to dial. I know they make some exposed turret versions and the glass seems great. I looked at them on Euro optics website. Good luck in your search.

CBM...that's a great question, what optics you run? I tried having mine setup to be versatile like that but it just hasn't worked out quite the way I planned it. I have a SWFA SS that I run on an AR10 that I love for the range. It just doesn't work so well in low light hunting conditions due to the crosshairs thickness. I've got a 243 that performs well I just need something the wail work well in the woods and the range. Just trying to see what some of you guys prefer for both applications.

NF Atacr F1 4-16. I also still use the tried and true Viper PST 6-24 with ebr2 reticle, Nikon M223 3-12, Zeiss HD5 3-15, NF SHV 4-14, etc. Lots of awesome glass out there now a days.

Atacr f1 4-16 or possibly 5-25 and the amg are at the top of my list to replace my pst.

if it's a FFP scope, just make sure it's illuminated and you won't have that problem. I've had fantastic luck with a ATACR 4-16x42 F1 in range and hunting situations. The illumination made the difference between making the shot and letting it walk more than a few times.

CBM...that's a great question, what optics you run? I tried having mine setup to be versatile like that but it just hasn't worked out quite the way I planned it. I have a SWFA SS that I run on an AR10 that I love for the range. It just doesn't work so well in low light hunting conditions due to the crosshairs thickness. I've got a 243 that performs well I just need something the wail work well in the woods and the range. Just trying to see what some of you guys prefer for both applications.

You guys probably wont like that answer, my setup is hardly conventional for hunting. I shoot a Desert Tech SRS A1 Covert, I have a US Optics ER-25 mounted on it, which I LOVE. It is way more scope than most people want on a hunting rifle, but then again, my SRS is way more gun than most people want to bring on a mountain. I dont mind it, I only shoot one gun anymore, and I'd rather pack the weight of my rifle and have the familiarity that comes with it.

2llfsyt.jpg

2m62tub.jpg

Reactions: lancetkenyon
I have used several different optics and after 2 bad experiences at low light conditions on 2 monster bulls o decided to get a Swarovski
. Best decision I have made. I recently sold my Z6 and picked up a X5. Love it.

For plinking coyote and prairie dogs I run a DT with a NF Beast

My thinks I only have 3 guns

Which optics gave you the bad experiences?
Nikon and leupold, they were crap! They weren't tactical models. With Nikon I hat 2 experiences, one with their gold series and a buddy of mine. He sold the scope and bought a night force

My thinks I only have 3 guns

My hunting scopes are my range scopes too. And probably more than most would like. But they have worked well for me and my family.

I have lightweight mid range (to 800+/-) rifles, and heavy weight long range/glassing rifles. The only one I find tough to use on minimum mag range is the S&B PMII 3-20 w. H2CMR. That reticle gets very thin on min mag range, but the illumination is pretty much daytime bright, and makes it into an illuminated plex on 3x.

"Lightweights" are:
6.5 SS (being rebuilt as we speak from a 11# .260 Rem) @ 10# +/- w. S&B PMII 5-25x56 DT H2CMR
.280 AI (being rebuilt as we speak from a 11.5# .25-06AI) @ 8.5# +/- w. Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50 Gen 2XR
7RM @ 9.5# w. S&B PMII 3-20x50 H2CMR

Heavyweights are:
6.5 SLR @ 15# w. Kahles K624i 6-24x56 SKMR
.300RUM @ 14# w. Premier Heritage 5-25x56 Gen 2XR

Burris XTRii I picked up 3-15x50 G2B reticle illuminated (I never have used illumination and don't know if I will) I think will be the ticket for me. I had a bushnell LRS with G2 reticle and for two seasons in a row I didn't like it in low light trying to pick out grey mule deer in sage brush within 10 minutes of first and last light was tough and the reticle was a little much for hunting purposes in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to beat a Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50 for low light performance, crystal clear glass, eye box, etc. I tried the new 4-16 Nightforce but sold it the day after my first evening deer hunt with it. I am also a huge fan of my Vortex AMG.

Why didn't you like the Nightforce? Why do you like the AMG more? From what I've seen, the majority of people are the opposite.

OP Some of the specs you should add for a more accurate response:
Budget
Max magnification
Weight tolerance/goal
Brand preference if any
Reticle style/design preference if any

R

Premier 'Lite Tac' or 'Hunter' 3-15x50.
They are the same FFP 5x zoom scope with excellent optics, but 'LT' has exposed turrets, 'Hunter' has capped turrets. Both are 6mil/turn, which gets my 6.5SAUM to ~925yds on the first rev. I have a few of both models, haven't found anything that compares. The 'Hunter' is ~5 oz less than the AMG, ~7 oz less than the 4-16ATACR, and has noticeably better glass than either one.
My opinion, of course...

Good luck in your search!

I think the Bushnell LRTS or LRHS is hard to beat for this application. I use the Burris 3-15 XTR II as well and both have been very effective. I like that the windage turret is capped or locking on the Bushnell's but the turrets on the Burris are very stiff and I haven't experienced them walking unintentionally. Glass is better in lrts but both have been effective in dusk scenarios on yotes.

My personal favorites:
Nightforce SHV F1 4-14, ACTACR F1 4-16, ATACR F1 5-25
Leupold VX5HD 3-15 cds zl2, VX6HD 3-18 cds zl2, mark 6 3-18
Swarovski X5i

Why didn't you like the Nightforce? Why do you like the AMG more? From what I've seen, the majority of people are the opposite.

Simply put, the glass is better in the Vortex. I really like the compact size of the Nightforce and the locking elevation turret was nice as well. However, the glass is just "brighter" in low light with the Vortex AMG and the additional magnification is nice as well.

For what you can find a used Premier Light Tactical on here for I think it would be really hard to beat that scope. I think I paid $1700 for my last one and it had illumination. You can probably find one without illumination for $1500-$1750. Since the illuminated models are hard to find it's worth noting that the Mil-Dot reticle is a little thicker than the XR and shows up better in low light but not too thick in my opinion.

Lots of personal preference to answer this question. For me, the perfect hunting optic is my NF 2.5-10x32 NSX. Lightweight, compact, illuminated reticle, crystal clear glass, and no parallax adj.

My go to as well. Small, light, tough, PLENTY of reticle choices and you can get capped turrets if that floats your boat.

That said, even inexpensive fixed 3-4 power Bushnells work well in the TN woods. Shots are rarely over 200 yards so no real magnification is needed. I have been very impressed with a 1-4 Bushnell shotgun scope on my CVA .50cal. I can see 50-60 yards into the trees way later than I feel comfortable shooting and it hoods zero with 100gr pyrodex under a 230gr TEZ. I have a several NXSs and in my lease all but the 2.5x compact get left at the house.

Last edited:
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before I just can't find it so I will ask again. I've got some pretty nice glass on top of my rifles but there always seems to be a sacrifice. My range guns are fine but it's my field guns I'm looking to correct. I'm searching for a nice scope with turrets that I can hunt with. The ones I have which are nice also have fairly thin crosshairs. Which are great for not covering the target at distances but horrible in low light hunting situations. The hunting scopes I have that work great in low light have no turrets for adjustment so I have to usually end up doing a hold over and hoping it's correct. Are there any hunting scopes with turrets and nice thick crosshairs you can see in low light????

Mine is a 16 1/2" Rem .308 topped with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 Mk 4 M3. The ret is the TS 32-1moa. Same set up as my target gun but with 5 1/2" less 5.5 taper barrel, nothing to relearn when time is short, an I rarely dial for distance on either. Shots in bama are either knife range or up to 600yds, but mostly knife. Even when I owned property in Montana between Jefferson city an Boulder everything fell to a Leupold 2.5X8X36 w/o issue. For me less is more with glass.

I'm transitioning from precision comp to hunting.
My 308 AR is currently running a US Optics SR8C, but I'm on the fence with switching it out to an LR17 for my upcoming Coues hunt.
My LR experience has me wanting more magnification, but the self limiting distance factor of my 16" 308 has me thinking the 8X will be enough.
Decisions, decisions....

After much debate with the SHV I just purchased the Zwarovski Z5. I've read hours of reviews between the two as well as talked to multiple users. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. Anyone else use it have used this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk