• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing I Need a Bighorn Gunsmith in Virginia

jerryrva

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2018
I need to have a shouldered barrel made for my TL3 on order. I'd like to find a gunsmith that has done Bighorns before. Anyone have experience with someone in Virginia?

Join me in begging and pleading with the folks in Verona aka HawkHill to start offering these. Their savage prefits are skookum but I’d like to get away from barrel nuts

Reactions: duramaxed
I contacted Hawk Hill last month and they said they would put me on a list of interested people for a 25 Creedmoor. I've got a barrel blank and waiting for my reamer any day now for a 25x47L that I want to use in competition. I plan on getting a 25cm barrel for hunting in sporter weight for the fall. Maybe by then HH might have one.

Check out WAR rifles in Manassas. They have built me a few AI prefits that have been some of the most accurate barrels ive had and I'm pretty sure they have spun up some barrels for bighorns before.

Any reason you'd rather not use one of the smiths offering pre-fit barrels online? Keystone and PVA, along with several others, will spin up a pre-fit shouldered barrel for a TL3 if you would prefer to use your own blank over one of theirs.

i guess you already have the blank and supplying your own reamer is the biggest thing.

i just ordered an origin shouldered prefit from Altus two days ago and got the awaiting shipment notification today.

i'm assuming your are from RVA? i'm moving to montpelier soon, in caroline county now.

i shoot the VA/NC matches. maybe ill see ya around

I contacted PVA late last summer and they were not doing the fast twist 25 caliber. They are now but I saw they said the reamer they got was junk and were waiting for another. I'd rather go local anyway in case I have any issues on timing triggers or firing pin strikes and not wait so long getting my barrel back perhaps.

Can't go wrong with either one. Just remember speed costs money. How fast do want to go? I've got a ZO6 in the garage.
I was always more of a sleeper guy with my favorite somewhere between a 1970 Newport with a 440-4 and cheater slicks under full hubcaps and electronic cutouts with the switch in the ashtray and a shit brown 9c1 with a hot LT1 and full hotchkiss suspension and tubular a arms on widened steelies......so I’d say that makes it a 300norma on a defiance in an eBay Hs Precision takeoff lol

Guess I will have to call him as never got a reply from emailing. Looks like he has the right equipment to the job.

OP, PVA received their .25CM reamer a little while back but it was damaged upon arrival. Josh is waiting on his new one.

@DAVETOOLEY - I fish in oriental during drum season all the time with Patrick Eubanks. We were talking about you the other day. I'm in Pitt Co, right up the road from you.

Indeed Jeff's email reply was in my spam folder. Unfortunately his backlog is beyond the 6 weeks I had asked about.

Blackjack is finally shipping out reamers and barrels today. Not sure which brand of reamers arrived first. Probably Manners since I ordered the JGS. Bugholes has 4 25cal 1:7 Bartleins left on their website. They have real time updating.

OP, PVA received their .25CM reamer a little while back but it was damaged upon arrival. Josh is waiting on his new one.

@DAVETOOLEY - I fish in oriental during drum season all the time with Patrick Eubanks. We were talking about you the other day. I'm in Pitt Co, right up the road from you.
Come see me or even better pick me up at my dock and take me fishing. I'll bring the beer.

Reactions: bohem and BLKWLFK9
Come see me or even better pick me up at my dock and take me fishing. I'll bring the beer.

I just need to pass the word to patrick and it will be done. Drum season is in the late summer/early fall time frame. We regularly catch 50-60" drum out there. its a blast. We can make it happen for sure, brother.

Blackjack is finally shipping out reamers and barrels today. Not sure which brand of reamers arrived first. Probably Manners since I ordered the JGS. Bugholes has 4 25cal 1:7 Bartleins left on their website. They have real time updating.

Manson's are shipping today. JGS should be here next week and will ship the day after we receive them.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Back to square one. Jeff Walker isn't taking on any new business until he clears his backlog and he doesn't know when that will be.

I contacted Hawk Hill last month and they said they would put me on a list of interested people for a 25 Creedmoor. I've got a barrel blank and waiting for my reamer any day now for a 25x47L that I want to use in competition. I plan on getting a 25cm barrel for hunting in sporter weight for the fall. Maybe by then HH might have one.

Hawk Hill has a 25 creed reamer in hand now. They are currently making us (Blackjack Bullets) a load of 1:7 and 1:7.5" barrels

I've got both the 25x47 and 25CM reamers in hand. Plus X-Caliber and Bartlein barrels. Probably going to send the Bartlein and reamer to Bugholes and get them to do the shouldered barrel for the 25x47. Save the 25cm for later this year.

Reactions: 257 Blackjack
Jerry I think you will enjoy how easy and efficient the 25x47L is.

To others coming across this post 25 XC reamers will be here Tuesday. That's a smaller pool of people seeking that reamer but there's no doubt people have a ton of brass and high quality dies they can easily swap their cartridge up a notch for more downrange energy and improved wind calls for longer shots.

The 6 XC is no slouch but I'm glad to see some excited guys waiting for their 25 XCs to be born.

Reactions: Bear24