• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Installed new APA muzzle brake on my Savage 338 Lapua 110HS

MMAJunkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I have been shooting the 338 lapua for a while in stock form then later added a Lilja barrel but kept the stock muzzle brake. I just found out a week or so ago that APA American Precision Arms in Ga was developing a new brake called the Gen II Fat Ba$tard. Unlike others that requires shims and other such things to "time" the ports the new GEN II has a built in locking ring to allow it to be adjusted any way you want.The brake was $185

I just got it in today and it looks great. I didn't even have time to mount it but did snap a few pics. The round next to it is a 223 62gr for reference. APA says the difference in recoil over the factory Savage brake is huge. I hope to get it mounted and shoot this weekend. Ill report back after I shoot it and since I keep a shooters log I am interested in seeing of POI changes as well.

I have one of their standard Gen I fat Ba$tart on a 270 Win and liked it so I expect this to be nice too. Here is a link to their muzzle brakes and one thing I like as a georgia native is that they are made in GA not China.

DON_6216_zps3833a0f5.jpg

DON_6217_zps65f73936.jpg
DON_6218_zpsbbdec8e9.jpg

Here is is mounted on the Lilja Barrel. Although it is just a bit longer it looks and feels a lot more substantial due to the 4 port design. The locking nut idea makes lining up the ports super easy with no shims. So far I am impressed. I hope to shoot it this weekend

DON_6222_zps14405489.jpg

DON_6223_zps306873c9.jpg

DON_6229_zpsde4916c1.jpg

MMA I have the same rig and was considering this brake. Please let us know what you think of it as compared to the stock brake and the recoil reduction.

I went to the range today between rain showers and managed to get a few rounds out of the 338 with the new brake. I went thinking there would be maybe 10,15 maybe even 20% reduction in recoil and if it was 20% I would have been happy. However when I touched off the first round I was shocked. It was more like a 50% reduction in recoil compared to the factory brake. It makes the lapua even with full power loads feel like maybe a .243 I am very happy with the Apa brake and suggest any of you that are looking for a highly effective brake to give this bastard a try. Its really worth it. Also I didn't really notice any difference in the concussion or sound but as I mentioned earlier I always wear plugs and muffs.