• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Ion Bonding?

TimResin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I would like to get my Badger M2008 Bolt Ion bonded along with a Surgeon 591 bolt. First is it a good idea cause the 591 defiantly needs a refinishing, but from research this seems like a good idea. Lastly who does it?

Re: Ion Bonding?

I had my surgeon action ion bonded. I usually run it with little to no lube, and is reasonably slick with no lube. This seems to help when the wind kicks up a lot of dust and dirt, the dirt doesn't stick so much...

It has worn through in a couple where it runs against itself. For instance in the bolt raceway near the slot for the trigger mechanism, there are a couple of spots that have worn through.

Where it wears against other surfaces that weren't coated, mainly the sear, it is wearing the sear with little to no wear on the ion-bonded bolt.

Overall, I like it, but I don't have much else to compare to. My other action is a trued remington, which I parkerized. I don't like the parkerizing, it doesn't run as slick.

I forgot to add, I got mine done through Springer Precision. I'm not sure what the charge is for just a bolt or 2, the entire action with all parts and shipping back was around $165 when I had it done a couple years ago, and the wait was around 5 to 6 weeks. I had everything coated. They were easy to get hold of, I'm sure an email or call will answer any questions.

Had my entire M2008 action and bolt done through Springer Precision. I'd do it again.

I had my M2008 done last fall by Springer Precision. Cost was around $350, I had the action body including rail, bolt, bolt shroud and barrel done. The quoted lead time was up to 5 months, it took around 3.5 months. They charge extra if they have to do any disassembly.

It's a good coating, as already mentioned it will wear through when run against itself. One caution, do not coat the breaching ring if you do have it done, this was relayed to me by the maker.