• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is the basic atlas worth the money?

Riverlife87

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Is the basic atlas worth the money over my harris? I have a rifle that the harris can go on that needs a bipod but is the atlas worth the hype or should i go with another harris? Is it that much more stable/adaptable for shooting positions? Also wheres the best place to find one? Dont need qd this would be a set it and forget it scenario

Reactions: Papaya
If all you plan to do is lay down in the prone and shoot, the Harris will suit you perfectly. When it comes to alternate positions and dynamic shooting, the Atlas definitely provides some advantages. Hawk Hill Custom also makes Talons to put onto the Harris or Atlas bipods. They are definitely worth the money in my opinion. Most people are switching to them. If interested, feel free to check out our website.

I think they are worth it, I also think if you're buying one just jump to the PSR model. The legs not rotating is worth it if nothing else.

"Worth it" is a bit of a loaded question. I have several Harris and an Atlas PSR. They are very different animals. Although the Atlas is about 2-3x more than a Harris, (depending on model) I more often find myself asking is a $120 Harris BRM-S really "worth it" once I look at the quality of materials and sturdiness between the two.
Harris vs Atlas has been beaten to death, but in a nutshell they each do their own things well. It's just a matter of which of those things you place the priority on.

A plus for Atlas is having the creator and company owner on this forum.

I'd say it's well worth the money, you'll definitely not be disappointed. The atlas was a game changer for me as far as using during matches. It allows for a much more stable shooting platform than what my Harris ones are.

That being said I have nothing but great things to say about Harris or Atlas, both excellent choices but each one has its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogeybrown, brings up an excellent point giving Kasey his props for being an active member here. I'de like to add to that and mention how much I appreciate the group buys Kasey has done for us.

Bogeybrown, brings up an excellent point giving Kasey his props for being an active member here. I'de like to add to that and mention how much I appreciate the group buys Kasey has done for us.

Exactly, I don't even remember what the group buy price was on the PSR, but we got it before basically anyone else and I know it wasn't close to what current retail is.

I have each and like Atlas better. The feet grip better. The cant adjustment is smoother and easier to lock down. The bipod can adjust lower by locking the legs in the 45 position. It is easier to mount to and detach from the rifle. It's modular with interchangeable feet and leg extensions. There are probably many more items but they were the ones off the top of my head. that said I still like my Harris bipods. They are much cheaper and quick to deploy.

Careful where you buy an Atlas from. People often pass off cheap fakes as the real thing.

Depends on your budget. Atlas bipods are nice. I have 2 of them. They also command a premium price. I also have 3 Harris bipods that get the job done just nicely too and I have never found myself wondering ... I'd of been able to make that shot if only I had had an atlas. A Harris deploys quicker, is plenty rugged, and works really well, esp if you get the KMW Pod Loc.

Thanks for all the input, going with the atlas for sure, lots of good info guys. Looking forward to getting it into the field!

i own the 2 clamp atlas bipod and the atlas swivel/notched and both have it's adv/disadv. i agree with previous comments, atlas might be able to get you into a few more positions with the 45 degree leg angles but is psr style matches, might take a few extra seconds to deploy the bipod vs the quick action of the harris. both equally great in quality

We sell all of the Atlas bipods (we are a certified dealer), and I will say that the BT10 (the basic mode) is the lightest and most compact of the Atlas bipods. It doesn't have the quick release lever, but a lot of guys never take it off anyway. The outer legs rotate around the inner leg on the BT10 series, if you don't like that then you will need to step up to the PSR series (where you have a choice between regular and tall models). Feel free to give us a call if you have any other questions -- 303-443-0718 -- here is a link to the BT10 on our website which we have in colors other than black :)

I have both a Harris and an Atlas. Harris is great for quick deployment and it's rock solid, but the Atlas is a bit more versatile.

I use my Harris for hunting, and my Atlas for competition shooting.

As for the basic Atlas, depending on your use, I would recommend getting one with the ADM QD mount, rather than the 2 screw mount. It's well worth the extra cost.

+1 to all of the above, I agree wholeheartedly with every statement made.

bench & prone only = Harris

PRS style comps, flexibility in setup, faster on/off (doesn't Badger made adapters?) = Atlas

I am now advising all of my friends who start shooting to use only the Atlas PSR if doing anything other than prone/bench. I like it that much. Worth 3x the money.

I have yet to find a need for other feet than the standard myself.

I dislike the quality of the Harris for the $$$. It's cheaper, but you get more value out of the Atlas IMO. Go PSR.

there are adapters for sling stud to pic rail by Caldwell and no-name brands that run $15-20 that work perfectly

I installed 2 of them with blue loctite and have had no issues.

Have both (Harris s-brm and Atlas PRS) and either are durable. Atlas is a bit more adjustable but Harris just works.

For those of you interested, I've gathered some quantifiable data that can be used for comparing the most popular bipods. There hasn't been any talk about the AccuTac bipods on this thread, but they are actually quite nice!

Bipod Comparison: Harris BRM – Atlas V8 – Atlas 5H – AccuTac SR-5QD

Harris BRM
  • Minimum height: 6 3/8”
  • Maximum height: 9”
  • Weight: 1 lb. 0.3 oz
  • Legs cannot pivot forward or backward
  • Apex approximately 1.7” below bore
  • Base width: 6 ¼” (not extended)

Atlas V8
  • Minimum height: 6 5/8”
  • Maximum height: 9 1/4”
  • Weight: 12.8 oz
  • 3 different pivoting positions for each leg (including standard)
  • Apex approximately 1.3” below bore
  • Base width: 7 ½” (not extended)

Atlas 5H
  • Minimum height: 6 3/4”
  • Maximum height: 10 3/4”
  • Weight: 1 lb. 11.2 oz
  • Apex approximately 1.9” above bore
  • Base width: 13 ¾” (not extended)

AccuTac SR-5QD
  • Minimum height: 8 1/4”
  • Maximum height: 9 3/4”
  • Weight: 1 lb. 4.3 oz
  • Apex approximately 1.2” below bore
  • Base width: 11” (not extended)

*All height measurements were taken in the standard bipod position, 90 degrees to the line of bore. The measurements are from the ground to the bottom of the bipod rail. Standard feet were used. Harris measurements were taken using the American Defense Manufacturing picatinny rail adapter.
*Apex measurements were taken using a CTX rifle where the center of the bore is 1.715” above the bottom of the picatinny rail. Apex-to-Bore differences will change based on bore-to-rail measurement.

There are plenty of other measurements that I could have taken, but these are the most meaningful ones. Overall maximums and minimums is often what steers an individual to one particular bipod.

With the Atlas PSR where in the maximum height at? Where it attaches to the rail? I have a Manners stock with the badger rail installed. Just curious if it's a little taller bing on a rail than the maximum height advertised for the Harris that attaches to a swivel stud.

I'd stick with a Harris, that's what I run. I don't see any reason to spend Atlas high money on a bi-pod unless you're a serious shooter, my Harris does everything I need.

I think they are worth it, I also think if you're buying one just jump to the PSR model. The legs not rotating is worth it if nothing else.

^^^This. It locks up more solid as well.

I'm a 80% Harris user, 20% Atlas PSR user - I carry the Atlas in my pack for matches because there are obstacles that it is just better on.

If all you plan to do is lay down in the prone and shoot, the Harris will suit you perfectly. When it comes to alternate positions and dynamic shooting, the Atlas definitely provides some advantages. Hawk Hill Custom also makes Talons to put onto the Harris or Atlas bipods. They are definitely worth the money in my opinion. Most people are switching to them. If interested, feel free to check out our website.

Hey bud, thanks a bunch for that link. Those things look awesome. Just ordered a set for my Atlas PSR, super excited to see them.

OP,
The Atlas is worth the money paid for it. In fact, it's almost worth more than what they cost! American made goodness with a Lifetime warranty that carries 80-90% of it's value when sold used! Do you NEED one, probably not.
Harris is the gold standard bipod and has been for years and years and years and years. After market accessories for the Harris have helped modernize the design which add cost.
Here is a no BS true story, last week I was a guest at a SOF sniper school house observing a stalk. A student about 15' away caught a Harris leg on something, and "BOING" the leg was deployed.... I don't think there's an add on charge for legs that go "Boing" :)

^^^This. It locks up more solid as well.

I'm a 80% Harris user, 20% Atlas PSR user - I carry the Atlas in my pack for matches because there are obstacles that it is just better on.

^^^This right here.

I like the Harris. It works for the large majority of uses I require. However............the ability to angle the legs 45 degrees forward or back with the Atlas is an extremely useful benefit on odd rocks and props in PRS.

If I didn't shoot PRS then I would have no use or need for an Atlas over a Harris.

^^^This right here.

I like the Harris. It works for the large majority of uses I require. However............the ability to angle the legs 45 degrees forward or back with the Atlas is an extremely useful benefit on odd rocks and props in PRS.

If I didn't shoot PRS then I would have no use or need for an Atlas over a Harris.

+1

In PRS, I'm frustrated that I stuck with the Harris for so long. For prone and bench only, the Harris is great. The options available to me for shooting and stability with the Atlas are awesome (ie. splitting the legs forward/back to straddle a floating barrel)