• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Is this the effect of an over size firing pin hole

tkemo648

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
I was shooting with a friend a couple of weeks ago an noticed his gun was cratering the primers on the ammo. We were both shooting the same .270 win 130gr Federal Power-Shok ammo (13.97 at Wally World) and my rifle was not doing this cratering at all. His rifle is a newer Remington 700 SPS...I think...the replacement for the ADL model, and mine is a late 90's 700 ADL that had been restocked and a sendero barrel added. Both guns actions are bone stock with nothing altered.

All his fired cases looked like this:
IMAG0536.jpg

All my fired cases looked like this:
IMAG0535.jpg

Is there really that much of a difference between two guns built around 10 years apart shooting exactly the same ammo?

Re: Is this the effect of an over size firing pin hole

Yep. The firing pin needs bushed in the rifle on top. Get ahold of gretan rifles. Greg will take care of ya.

Re: Is this the effect of an over size firing pin hole

That is usually caused by an oversized firing pin hole not over pressure.

So I would say yes you are right.