• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98 vs 1903

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Just for grins. Neither are sniper rifles but they are Vintage
smile.gif

I may have to go down and buy that last K98 at Big5 for the sniper build - this rifle may stay vintage.

K98and1903.jpg

Re: K98 vs 1903

Dont make me drive by that big 5 south of the kitsap mall and buy it...

...and very few of the German scopes had windage adjustment. With a ten round mag, the No32 Scope and that Enfield action - I'd say the Enfield 4T had them both beat
laugh.gif

Ya well known fact that we stole the original Mauser design.

Just neat seeing opposing rifles, both made in the same year too.

Definitely going back for the other K98 for my sniper build, this one stays as it is.

I have a K98 that the Norwegins redid (new barrel, new sights, new serial number) after WW2 into .30-06. They were on the market in the early to mid 90's, after their resurves let them go.

I've been putting off buying a K98 for forever. What's a good source to get one from anyways? This thread just renewed my interest.

Well depends what you want, a decent historical shooter with non matching serial #'s? Big-5 has them for just over $300.

Authentic matching serial # worth $1000 to $10,000 - hard to find...

I bought this one at Big-5 and they have one left so I'm going back for it on payday, it will be my sniper model - this one will stay a nostalgic rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well seeing the 1903 is a copy of the 98, umm I say the 98, they had better glass
</div></div>

What about the USMC Model 1941. They had 8x Unertl's. I rebuilt a 1903 into a Model 1941 with a new barrel, Unertl Scope, bedded the stock (was cracked in 3pcs.) and it shoots 1/3moa for the most part and always under 1/2moa. Yes match ammo and yes it's a new Bartlein Barrel not a stock barrel but all of the USMC guns where either original 1903 National Match rifles or built to match specs.

From a flat out accuracy stand point I would say the 1941 USMC was at the top of the list.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont make me drive by that big 5 south of the kitsap mall and buy it... </div></div>

I already did!

they do have a DOT model in stock, it has the cleaning rod too. I'm going down tomorrow morning to buy that one for my K98K Sniper model, the one I have currently has a stock and receiver that match so it's close enough.

The sniper version will probably get a new stock, many repro parts, it's for the beauty of shooting not the authenticity...

Although, I like Basraboys rifle and I may have to call his smith and get one built like that since he has the parts..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont make me drive by that big 5 south of the kitsap mall and buy it... </div></div>

I already did!

they do have a DOT model in stock, it has the cleaning rod too. I'm going down tomorrow morning to buy that one for my K98K Sniper model, the one I have currently has a stock and receiver that match so it's close enough.

The sniper version will probably get a new stock, many repro parts, it's for the beauty of shooting not the authenticity...

Although, I like Basraboys rifle and I may have to call his smith and get one built like that since he has the parts.. </div></div>

Man....you've got it BAD!!
laugh.gif

And I fully understand...I'm addicted too!

K98k No2 is already in progress at Miltech - an all matching byf43, laminate stock and Zeiss Zielsechs in LSR mount...can't wait!!

Miltech do great work if you have the time (typically a ground up project is quoted at six months from agreeing/finding the donor rifle.

My rifle cost around $2,500 which was for the complete package (rifle, scope, mount - fully serviced and refurbed in new stock).

But you do end up with a great, fully refurbed, safe and "as issued" rifle and Ed takes a real pride in what he does and is very knowledgable!

Compared to the $17,000 that Simpson Ltd in Galesburg, IL are currently asking for an original - it's a bargain!!

Call Ed, he may be able to work with one of your new 98k's as the donor?