• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kentucky FNG

GPtuners

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2021
Kentucky
Hey everyone!

I caught the long range itch a while back, and started trying some things. I recently found a place a couple of hours from me that has targets out to 1400 yards, but haven't attempted the trip because I'm ill-equipped. After spending a bit of time trying to use my Ruger Gunsite Scout outside of it's intended purpose, I decided that I need to sell some of my stuff and focus on getting the right tools for the job.

I like the hard route, so I'm going to stick with 308 and try to learn the wind and other factors. I figure that I can save some money on ammo and shoot more while I learn.

I'm pretty fixed on the Tikka Tac A1, but will have to research optics- there are so many choices! I think in inches, but don't have enough experience shooting rifles that I couldn't learn mils just as easily.

Looks like I'll be picking your brain for a while...

Thanks,
Carlos

Reactions: DustBun
Hey, you're where I want go to shoot! 😎
right now i just shoot in my yard occasionally. before I became chief of local VFD, would shoot at the sportsmans club in owsley county (but only has a couple hundred yards), a private range in stanton, and an abandoned coal mine in hazard with long distances. When I lived around the Lexington area would shoot at Bluegrass Sportmans Club.

Reactions: GPtuners
Yeah, I shoot steel with pistols at Bluegrass Sportsman's Club, but haven't checked out their rifle range yet. I did notice that they have a qualification test you need to pass for the rifle range.

The two hours to Hazard doesn't seem bad, which is why I recently joined the group there. Just have to get my ducks in a row before I drive down. Seems like a cool place to shoot.

Yeah, I shoot steel with pistols at Bluegrass Sportsman's Club, but haven't checked out their rifle range yet. I did notice that they have a qualification test you need to pass for the rifle range.

The two hours to Hazard doesn't seem bad, which is why I recently joined the group there. Just have to get my ducks in a row before I drive down. Seems like a cool place to shoot.
Qualification at BGSL isn't bad at all. For shits and giggles I qualified with a 91/30 mosin nagant I budda'ed a scope onto. Wanna say it was something crazy like 8 out of 10 in a 6 moa target.

When I would go to Hazard I would usually book a hotel for the night, it is about an hour and a half for me. Would head down on Friday, get a little shooting in before loosing the light, then get a pretty full day in Saturday. But worth the drive. Haven't been able to go in a while, would like to dip my toes into the PRS stuff they have started doing over the past couple years though.