• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Kestrel/CONX Combo Upgrade only with cable or dongle?

FromMyColdDeadHand

40X Mafia
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
CO
I was looking at how to upgrade the Kestrel that comes with the Bushnell Combo kit to the Elite version. Is it right that you have to have the iDongle or the cable to upgrade it, even since it is a Bluetooth capable kestrel? I found a pdf online that said you need the other gear, but later it seems to contradict itself that it may be done? I was talking to someone offline and they said that the it can be upgraded on Bluetooth from a standard computer? What is it?

Does an Elite not update firmware with bluetooth?

Any 5700 with Bluetooth can upgrade firmware through a connection with the Kestrel Ballistic App. The upgrade from a Sportsman or 5700 to a 5700 Elite requires a computer connection using the USB or Dongle or you can mail it in to NK and they will do it for you.

I was looking at how to upgrade the Kestrel that comes with the Bushnell Combo kit to the Elite version. Is it right that you have to have the iDongle or the cable to upgrade it, even since it is a Bluetooth capable kestrel? I found a pdf online that said you need the other gear, but later it seems to contradict itself that it may be done? I was talking to someone offline and they said that the it can be upgraded on Bluetooth from a standard computer? What is it?

How do you like the combo kit? I have put it my shopping cart 5 times now. Is it worth it?

How do you like the combo kit? I have put it my shopping cart 5 times now. Is it worth it?
Yes? No? My old rangefinder had died and my Kestrel didn't have ballistics in it. I get tired of buying things and then wishing I had spent the extra cash for the more capable one. Upgrading the ballistics was just that tendency raising it's head again.

That said, I haven't used it much. I'm getting my son into shooting and we had done 22 bolt gun matches and we had just started doing action/AR type matches. I thought we would be going onto PRS, but he wants to do more 3-gun type stuff.

I did take a class with Brian Whalen and learned a lot. I'm not sure how the CONX really fits in.

So you have the range finder and you have the Kestrel. Sure, the Kestrel is great to have for reading the wind, but it only reads with wind at your location. So my initial thought that you'd run the Kestrel on a post to read the wind and then laz the target and get the correction in theory works. What I took from the class was to read the wind, laz the target and use the Kestrel's ballistic computer to give the come up and full value wind. Use your brain convert the full value wind with the observation of the wind speed and direction.

So the CONX feeds the range to the Kestrel, which saves time. The Kesrtel is great for getting a real reading on the wind, and for training on observing the wind. Frankly, I thought about getting an extra wind turbine and mounting it, since the sound of it gives a pretty good indication of wind speed. My Kestrel and Rangefinder had issues syncing sometimes. I put fresh batteries in and it seems to work better- it would only work inches away at one point- and would fall asleep a lot.

But the reality is I haven't shot very much where I needed it. The PRS shooting got put on hold when I got caught in in indecision loop on a 224V-JP/RPR-6mm/Nucleas for PRS.

To me, the killer thing would be able to have three devices connected. The Kestrel in the wind on a vane getting real wind data, Ranging with the laz and both feeding a phone/tablet at the gun side with the solution. But in reality, I don't know what I'm blathering about since I need to couple of trips to the range to really play with them as is.