• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kydex Cheekrest on Choate Stock

GUNZ n AMMO

Shall not be infringed!!!
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
Henderson, NV
My second attempt of making this cheek rest... I bought the .25" thick Kydex from amazon, and 2 years ago I paid $25 shipped for it, now it is less than $20 shipped!!!. I can make atleast 5 cheek rest out of a 12"x24"x.25" sheet and the tools used are basic tools you probably already have in your garage...

Here's an example of a cheap Kydex, I'm not affiliated with them...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CF2YFJ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1399603708&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I bought the Stainless Steel Carriage Bolt from Albany Fasteners for $6 for 25 pieces shipped. I found out later there are black oxide finish carriage bolt. They are more expensive though. I'll just paint mine...
Stainless Steel Carriage Bolt 25 1 4 20 x 2 | eBay

I bought some Fluted Plastic Knob from STM's website...

Thank you for viewing!!!
HOMEMADE CHEEK REST Karsten cheek rest clone - YouTube

Last edited:
Fantastic! Looks like you could sell templates!!!

Thank you gents!!! This site helped me a lot so this is one way to give back to my fellow shooters...

Excellent! Thank you very much!
I was going to engage in a very similar exercise; it is very good to have your tutorial, and comforting to know that it can, indeed, be done easily.

Kydex Cheekrest on Choate Stock

Thanks all!!! Frugality and persistence does work hand in hand lol :D

Some DIY'ers used oven to soften the Kydex but I haven't tried that method (aluminum foil on bake pan and Kydex on top for easy removal) Using a heat gun is more of a safe approach for me. Good luck gents and let me know the results...