• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Labradar - New app has a bug in the Shot Detail (SOLVED)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Here's the deal ... I was plotting my data using the new app, and discovered that my individual shots didn't line up with the series totals (Avg, SD, ES, High and Low). For instance, a five-shot 300-WM group had averages of this ...

1643554859887.png
    ... but the shot details show much lower numbers ...
    1643555014531.png

Note - shot #5 was 2860 ... just didn't fit on the screenshot.
    Note - ignore the projectile weight, that's not "real", I forgot to change it. It doesn't effect velocity anyway. I was shooting Berger 200.20x HT's.

So then ... I pulled the SD card to look at the raw data and here's what I got ...

1643555360665.png

So the raw data is correct and matches the series totals on the App ... but the shot details in the series are WRONG.

I shot five different series yesterday, and every one is the same. The raw data matches the series totals and is correct ... the app-based shot details are totally wrong, and I have no idea where those numbers are coming from.

Has anyone else seen or investigated this? I'd like some "Peer Review" before I take this to Labradar.

BTW ... App is the most up-to-date version, and the Labradar firmware was just updated as well.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
    I would start with a clean SD card. I've not yet seen this, but it looks like a mismatch between what the live series is and what the app is reading. I expect that if you look at the data on the card you'll find a series that matches what you posted. Remember the app looks at history as well as the active series and I can't tell from the screen shots if you are live or looking at history. If the BT disconnects you will be limited to history.

I would start with a clean SD card. I've not yet seen this, but it looks like a mismatch between what the live series is and what the app is reading. I expect that if you look at the data on the card you'll find a series that matches what you posted. Remember the app looks at history as well as the active series and I can't tell from the screen shots if you are live or looking at history. If the BT disconnects you will be limited to history.
    I started with a completely clean SD card ... there's no history on it, only the 5 series that I shot yesterday. No other data. Also thinking that wouldn't result in a mismatch on a series between the app-displayed totals, and the underlying app-displayed shot detail. Can't explain that mismatch any other way than a "bug" ... that should never happen. Even if there's history on the card, a series should accurately display the detail that formulates the totals. Right? I mean, no program should ever display linked data details, and averages of that detail, that don't make mathematical sense. (Yes ... I spent a career in technology finding and fixing software defects.) This is a "bug".

Here's the deal ... I was plotting my data using the new app, and discovered that my individual shots didn't line up with the series totals (Avg, SD, ES, High and Low). For instance, a five-shot 300-WM group had averages of this ...

View attachment 7797122 ... but the shot details show much lower numbers ... View attachment 7797128

Note - shot #5 was 2860 ... just didn't fit on the screenshot.
    Note - ignore the projectile weight, that's not "real", I forgot to change it. It doesn't effect velocity anyway. I was shooting Berger 200.20x HT's.

So then ... I pulled the SD card to look at the raw data and here's what I got ...

View attachment 7797132

So the raw data is correct and matches the series totals on the App ... but the shot details in the series are WRONG.

I shot five different series yesterday, and every one is the same. The raw data matches the series totals and is correct ... the app-based shot details are totally wrong, and I have no idea where those numbers are coming from.

Has anyone else seen or investigated this? I'd like some "Peer Review" before I take this to Labradar.

BTW ... App is the most up-to-date version, and the Labradar firmware was just updated as well.
    Do the lower velocity numbers line up with readings at any of the other yardage settings?

If you didn't have them enabled or have them all at short distances view the individual short records in the TRK sub folder for each session.
    Perhaps there is a common yardage involved with each shot that it displayed instead of V0

Look at the track.csv files and see if the numbers match any other distance.

Do the lower velocity numbers line up with readings at any of the other yardage settings?

If you didn't have them enabled or have them all at short distances view the individual short records in the TRK sub folder for each session.
    Perhaps there is a common yardage involved with each shot that it displayed instead of V0
    I thought of that, and checked. For any given series, the shot detail numbers displayed "do not" track to any of the other distance columns. They are oddly random.

I thought of that, and checked. For any given series, the shot detail numbers displayed "do not" track to any of the other distance columns. They are oddly random.
    Do those velocities exist at any point in the individual track csv?

Look at the track.csv files and see if the numbers match any other distance.
    Numbers in the track.csv file appear to line up with the series totals, but don't correlate to the shot details, at least not that I can see without studying every number.

Do those velocities exist at any point in the individual track csv?
    I'm looking at Shot #1 in Series 2 (displayed above). The app says it's 2830 fps ... which obviously doesn't line up with the totals (all in the 3000's). The numbers on the series and shot detail on the SD card are correct and start in the trk.csv file as 3038.54 ... with that wrong 2830 number showing nowhere in the trk.csv file ... 2891.65 at 98.95 yards is the end of the trk.csv file.

BTW ... I put the SD card back in the Labradar and re-built all the histories "live". There's no change. All the details for all five series don't match the data on the SD card. It appears as though the app is either reading "wrong" from the data sets, or somehow changing or modifying the shot detail numbers during or after transmission. Live or memory ... the same error presents itself.

Luckily ... knowing the app is wrong and the SD data is right ... means I didn't waste a range trip and still have valid data to work with. That's the silver-lining.

Just updated all my stuff might get some range time this week. I’ll have to watch this and see if I have the same stuff going on.

Luckily ... knowing the app is wrong and the SD data is right ... means I didn't waste a range trip and still have valid data to work with. That's the silver-lining.
    Good to know. BTW what phone are you using?

Thanks...and, the shot detail display on the radar device itself are....right or wrong also?

Android or iOS?

Did you turn in a bug report to them?

Thanks again

Interesting. Try this, delete one of the shots in the series and see how the values change. Does it show 4 shots now? Does it compute a new average that matches the 4 remaining shots per the details, or the 4 original values as in the CSV?

Sure looks like a bug, but I can't see how it got released with it unless there is some very odd sequence of events creating it.

Thanks...and, the shot detail display on the radar device itself are....right or wrong also?

Android or iOS?

Did you turn in a bug report to them?

Thanks again
    iOS
    Not yet
    And the display on the Labradar is correct, both averages and shot details. The only thing that's wrong "anywhere" is the shot detail on the App.

Too weird ...

Reactions: Baron23
    Sure looks like a bug, but I can't see how it got released with it unless there is some very odd sequence of events creating it.
    Clearly you've never been in QA at a technology company. In my career of 45 years in technology services, I've looked at a bug and asked "... who the f**k allowed this defect to be released in production code ..." about a million times. LOL

• Haha
    Interesting. Try this, delete one of the shots in the series and see how the values change. Does it show 4 shots now? Does it compute a new average that matches the 4 remaining shots per the details, or the 4 original values as in the CSV?

Tried exactly that ... deleted 1 shot from the 5-shot series. Everything adjusts correctly on the LabRadar screen ... and on the app totals ... but the four remaining shot details are still wrong. No change in the core findings. I'm tempted to permanently delete the app, reload it, and try all this again. Maybe I just got something "odd" during the app download.

UPDATE ... based on @CoryT 's excellent question, I decided to delete the app completely from my iPhone, and download it again. I got a clean download, connected to my Labradar, and VOILA ... all of the shot details on the app are now correct, and line up properly with the averages and totals for each series.

Is that weird, or what ...

My guess is that in the original download where you have the old version on the phone being overwritten by the new version ... the app improperly holds some legacy data and interprets it improperly.

SO ... if anyone sees this after the "update" process, delete the app and all data, reload and reconnect, and it should work.

DON'T UPDATE THE APP ... delete it completely and do a virgin download from the app store.

That's where I was headed, I found it odd that the app let you install along side the old app as opposed to doing an update. Probably should report this to them so they make a note on the app page, not that anybody reads the instructions.

VOILA ... all of the shot details on the app are now correct, and line up properly with the averages and totals for each series.
    Damn you for wasting my morning! hahaha joking of course.

I did update my labradar firmware and the app and they connect just fine....just too frakin cold out to go use them (yes, I am a pussy! haha).

I worked as a PM in the telecom core network equip industry which, by the later part of my career, was all software (if it didn't need to touch the media and have a physical interface, it was virtualized). We had super smart people writing our code...and yes, there were always bugs. We did try, however, to not say "WTF wrote this POS"...well, not out loud.

Sort of why I shied away from pushing every last release out to strategic and rather demanding and short tempered major carrier networks until other people's customers had worked out the bugs! haha

Glad its cleared up.

Reactions: rustyinbend
    That's where I was headed, I found it odd that the app let you install along side the old app as opposed to doing an update. Probably should report this to them so they make a note on the app page, not that anybody reads the instructions.
    Just to be clear ... the "Update" is what caused this problem. "Deleting" the old app along with all its data and doing a new "Install" is what solved it. You can't do both old and new in two different apps, as the install senses the presence of the old app and does an update if you haven't totally deleted the old app. Hope that makes sense.