• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Laser beam divergence 0.5 x 1.2 mrad vs 0.5 x 2.5 mrad

LA260

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2017
I'm in the market for an inexpensive rangefinder and I don't need any ballistic solvers. Just looking for a simple rangefinder. I was set on Leica 2400R until I noticed that laser beam divergence is 0.5x2.5 vs 0.5x1.2 for 2700B. How much of a real world difference would that extra 1.3 of divergence make when it comes to measuring dist. around the 1200-1500yd range in somewhat hilly and wooded areas? The $$ difference between the two units is $200 so not a big deal. I will not be using the ballistic data stuff on the 2700B so the question is if 1.3 mrad smaller beam of the 2700B is worth $200. I'm little surprised that the newer units (2400R and 2800.com) have bigger beam divergence than the older 2700B but that's how it is according to Leica's website unless it's a mistake. I don't have a whole lot of real world experience with rangefinders so any help/advice is appreciated.

My suggestion is the new vortex fury binos. The laser is super good (matching values with both the high end and new terrapin of people on my squad out to distance) and it helps bring down the amount of gear you have to carry. The glass is not swaro glass,but it definitely isn't bad. Also the extra 3x I see as a benefit for ranging things at longer distances because you can actually see what you are ranging.

Reactions: vortex.nick
The performance related to different beam divergence values is something of interest to me as well. Just this past weekend, I was trying to range my 18"x18" steel target in some tall grass at 800 yards. The unit I was using lists 2.7x1.0 mrad. I was not able to get an accurate read on the target.... my dope to hit the plate ended up being 50 yards further than the range I was getting from my LRF.

I looked up some newer LRF devices, and seems like they are a lot smaller than what I'm using.

The performance related to different beam divergence values is something of interest to me as well. Just this past weekend, I was trying to range my 18"x18" steel target in some tall grass at 800 yards. The unit I was using lists 2.7x1.0 mrad. I was not able to get an accurate read on the target.... my dope to hit the plate ended up being 50 yards further than the range I was getting from my LRF.

I looked up some newer LRF devices, and seems like they are a lot smaller than what I'm using.

I have been seeing quotes on beam divergence of the vortex fury HD 5000 of a 1.5x0.1 mil oval. And all I know is when shooting at something it seemed really easy to tell if you were hitting things in front or behind the target.

Reactions: vortex.nick
I heard back from Leica and the info on their website is incorrect. The laser beam divergence for the 2400/2800.com is 0.5x1.2.
I'm trying to stay around $500 and as compact/lightweight as possible. If I was doing more hunting I would've def considered the Bino/rangefinder combo like the Fury but for my use compact rangefinder is the best option.
Another option I'm looking at is the Vortex HD4000 which has favorable reviews and 0.1x2 beam

Reactions: plidenbrock
I just received the new Bushnell Prime 1300 rangefinder and am extremely impressed with how bright it was. After comparing my older Bushnell to the new one it is a major upgrade. I am going to upgrade to a new Applied ballistics version once they become available this fall.