• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Latest. . .

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Here's a rather unconventional little rimfire build we just wrapped up.

Turbo MKII action
    Jewel Trigger
    Broughton barrel
    Terry leonard carbon/redwood stock

We did a differential threading insert for this bugger. Basically its a "magic wand" that allows one to alter the clocking position of the barrel without affecting the headspace. This gives the shooter the ability to find the sometimes elusive sweet spot of the barrel. The cst is an avid/hardcore rimfire BR addict and this gun represents some experimentation. Normally, the barrels are kept pretty short. This one finishes at 27" and the contour is a straight .900".

I took a different tract with this piece when stocking it. Terry usually sends the stock out completely finished/inletted. You skim bed it and your done. In this case he sent me a laminated 4x4 post. I inletted/bedded the blank with our usual surfacing process and shipped it back to him for final shaping/finishing. This put everything absolutely laser straight as he ran the outside numbers based off my inletting. Pretty cool to see how it turned out. I also grafted some carbon into the barrel channel/under the bedding by using an old carbon fiber wing tube from one of my giant scale aerobatic planes that found its expiration date a couple years back.

The last one we did for this customer was a rather wild piece with flames and lots of polishing. We squirted some burnt bronze on the metal work and finished the little stuff in graphite black on this one in the effort of going the other direction. Make it more subtle looking.

Fun stuff.

C.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

First one I did:

DSC_00072-Copy.jpg

DSC_00062-Copy.jpg

That's a great looking piece of wood. The carbon fiber is a touch I haven't seen before.

Not too chabby I guess ;)

t

Thanks!

Dunno on the shooting part yet. It's 15 degrees out with 35-45mph winds.

I'm a fair weather chooter, so we'll either do it in the tunnel or have to "eskimah up" and try our luck out doors.

Thanks!

I'm a fair weather chooter, so we'll either do it in the tunnel or have to "eskimah up" and try our luck out doors.

I was going to give you shit for being a little gurl..... Then I realized you still have my rifle :D

So yeah, I vote for the tunnel.

t

Thanks!

Nice chit there Chad! You know what the boys from the south tell me about shooting in the cold/snow, "get out and shoot it ya pussy" hahaha! PHUCH THAT!!

Cant.......stop.........staring........

The aesthetics of that thing really float my boat. Two of my favorite colors,redwood,functional carbon fiber...................
    Oh yeah, the components are pretty nice too:D(Is a redwood stock as delicate as it sounds?)

I use so many dots because I'm speechless.

Nice ****in' work

Too late! Kid is packing it up. Owner has his own private shooting facility and he's chomping at the bit to get it for this summer.

Still lots for him to do. It'll take half a brick just to get the barrel settled down, then comes the fun part, LOT testing ammo. (yuk)

I'll post a range report once he has some trigger time.

C.

Damn Chad, I am waiting with baited breath for Tom to finish my stock. The rest of the parts are with me and ready to go. After watching these build threads for almost 2 years now, I can't wait to finally have you build me a proper 6XC. A true custom rifle.

Thanks again for these threads, and the rifle looks awesome as usual BTW.

We did a differential threading insert for this bugger. Basically its a "magic wand" that allows one to alter the clocking position of the barrel without affecting the headspace. This gives the shooter the ability to find the sometimes elusive sweet spot of the barrel.

Im assuming that stepped shoulder at the receiver face is what stops the barrel from screwing in too deep and the differential insert has different pitch threads inside it than the receiver has.
    Then you can time the barrel by turing the insert in or out of the receiver and tightening the barrel again to re-set headspace.
    I am not familiar with the turbo action, but I assume that the extractor must be completely contained within the bolt nose so that there is no issue of extractor cut timing.
    Or, perhaps you did a reverse cone on the breech so the extractor clears no matter where the barrel is clocked?

Last edited:
    Correct,

Differential threading inserts are fairly common in the optical world as they allow for "something" important that optical people need doing. (very technical explanation)

The start point of the thread is what's important. If we begin a clock position start point on a thread at 12 the barrel ends up at an end point of X. If we rotate the insert to 3 then the end point will be X + 90 degrees. So on and so forth.

The barrel has a nominal OD of .900. The threads used were 3/4-16 internal and 1x32 at the receiver. You want a broad gap between the two otherwise it doesn't give enough range of adjustment.

The cone was stolen from the Anschutz think tank as this what's used on the 54 series receivers. It's just a piece of heat treated 4130 with surface ground faces. Basically a recoil lug without the tombstone to load against the stock. This action has no recoil lug surface other than the little flat at the back of the tang. Its essentially dependent upon the clamping power of the two action screws. More than sufficient as this is how I built all the Anschutz National Team 3P guns when I worked for them. The Turbo is considerably larger than a 54 so there's a lot more foot print/contact patch in the stock. I don't see it scooting around much. . .

FWIW, I've built a few small caliber CF guns this way too and they also performed really, really well.

I made the breech with a reverse cone to allow for infinite clocking. The challenge here is getting the breech face necked down enough to allow for extraction while still having enough meat at the breech to mitigate the chamber balooning over time. Fortunately the BR guys use STD velocity ammo (typically) so the pressures are pretty small.

C.

Last edited:
    Chad,

Our latest project arrived safe and sound to my doorstep yesterday. The weather is crappy cold and we're in the middle of a snow storm today, but I may get it to my tunnel this weekend if the weatherman is correct and attempt a little preliminary testing.

Thanks,
    Landy

Chad,
    Nice looking gun! I like the concept of turning the barrel, over my head of course, but.
    I especially like the photo op of the first gun you did, with the beautiful Black Hills out your back door, you hual it down to the tracks for pics??? Redneck!
    Kinda anticipating your Christmas post card, getting the family and the dog dressed in their Sunday best and hauling em down to the tracks for a pic. WOW!

I really like the redwood stock. Pity we can't get away with wood on most of our guns.