• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Leather sewing thread and leather work

Rawhide wrapped tomahawk that I built with a leather hunting pouch.

Attachments

• IMG_4917.jpeg
    IMG_4917.jpeg
    880 KB · Views: 40
So, I’ve had a concept in mind for several years, that required a few things to line up- finally had a customer turn the reins (and budget) loose. Ive done a pile of exotic leather inlaid holsters, but we also do quite a bit of silver work. Always wanted to do an engraved silver inlaid holster. My wife found an Army vet, former tattoo artist-turned engraver locally and we tag teamed this one. The gun ain’t worth a pile of money, but was the customer’s grandfather’s - whatcha think?

Attachments

• IMG_7090.jpeg
    IMG_7090.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 49
So, I’ve had a concept in mind for several years, that required a few things to line up- finally had a customer turn the reins (and budget) loose. Ive done a pile of exotic leather inlaid holsters, but we also do quite a bit of silver work. Always wanted to do an engraved silver inlaid holster. My wife found an Army vet, former tattoo artist-turned engraver locally and we tag teamed this one. The gun ain’t worth a pile of money, but was the customer’s grandfather’s - whatcha think?
I like it.
It seems to need *something* though to make the Ruger logo stand out a bit.
Doing the whole background area in black would be too much so I understand why that wasn't done.
Perhaps some subtle way of making it appear like the classic drop shadow or a light mist/fog kinda effect ?

Reactions: JJMoody
I really thought about darkening the background with liver of sulfur and polishing the high spots, but in hand, I really like the look.
I like it.
It seems to need *something* though to make the Ruger logo stand out a bit.
Doing the whole background area in black would be too much so I understand why that wasn't done.
Perhaps some subtle way of making it appear like the classic drop shadow or a light mist/fog kinda effect ?

Reactions: lash
Maybe make the logo red.
Really thought about trying that. When I was looking for the emblem to start everything, I started reading up on the significance of the red/ black emblem. Turns out the original red was replaced with black in mourning of the death of Alexander Sturm. Bill Ruger insisted that Sturms name always be listed first. The red stitching was a nod. Wanted to do the suede lining in red, but couldn’t get the right color in the material I wanted in time. Might’ve been a bit too much

Reactions: lash and NoDopes
I've had one of these for about 40 years. Very handy. Knew a guy that stiched a saddle with one.

Speedy-Stitcher-Sewing-Awl-Kit_1.jpg

I'll bet I have had mine for as many years.
One of the handiest things I own, so many repairs over the years, saddles, tack, chinks, boots, and whatever else, hate to be without it.

1715049930751.png

I've also got a couple good ol heavy duty Singers down in the bunk house but haven't used or seen them in years.
I get a chance I will have to see if I can find them.

Cool thread, thanks!

Reactions: lash and 6.5SH
I really thought about darkening the background with liver of sulfur and polishing the high spots, but in hand, I really like the look.
Don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier...

What about taking a bic lighter or something and using the soot to put a light smoke around the logo ?
I'd take a tight wrap of t-shirt material and wipe it in a bit to give a highlight of that logo.

If you don't like the effect (it's just a test anyway) take that same t-shirt material and get it wet with some rubbing alcohol and wipe it off till clean.

Very safe and easy way to see, no harm no foul and you might end up with stellar ???
It would give a very light accent if you do it right and I have a feeling your dick would get so hard a cat couldn't scratch it :D

I bought a new purse!!!
For my wife that is.

Super happy with this purchase from @JJMoody
My quick review, handle is double riveted with solid copper rivets.
Handle is PERFECT length, not too long, but just long enough she can grab the handle and slip it up on that same shoulder with a single hand.
Zipper is perfectly sized to be durable and functional.
Nice blend of pockets on outside the that fits a cell phone, with similar pockets inside.
And, it’s beautiful.

IMG_1249.jpeg
IMG_1251.jpeg
IMG_1253.jpeg

I bought a new purse!!!
For my wife that is.

Handle is PERFECT length, not too long, but just long enough she can grab the handle and slip it up on that same shoulder with a single hand.
Nice blend of pockets on outside the that fits a cell phone, with similar pockets inside.
And, it’s beautiful.

View attachment 8425738View attachment 8425739View attachment 8425741
Nice looking purse, but does it go with my shoes? 😁

But seriously, I like the obvious quality. My Dad used to make all sorts of hand-stitched leather goods in the ‘70-‘80s.

I think a clean touch for his future purses of that type would be skived and rolled seams at the top where it sets against the arm and body. It’s a bit more work though, so would add cost to the end product.

Reactions: Makinchips208
I bought a new purse!!!
For my wife that is.

And, it’s beautiful.

View attachment 8425738View attachment 8425739View attachment 8425741
My wife gets the credit for designing most of the bags. You know, the whole female touch… love the red!

Reactions: Milf Dots