• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight, 30mm tube hunting scope options

I am not sure you consider anyone other than yourself worth listening to.

That having been said, I think there is a market for a decent 1" FFP scope. Let's hope someone makes it.

ILya

I agree. Most any of the 2-10 or 3-15 with a simple reticle with half mil hashes in the FFP. I was surprised when vortex never offered any of their mil reticles in the Razor hunting line. I thought 2C FFP would be a forgone conclusion. I use my reticle for quick ranging when hunting. I.E. I know if an animal is x number of mils its inside of my PBR zero.

Reactions: Primus
I agree. Most any of the 2-10 or 3-15 with a simple reticle with half mil hashes in the FFP. I was surprised when vortex never offered any of their mil reticles in the Razor hunting line. I thought 2C FFP would be a forgone conclusion. I use my reticle for quick ranging when hunting. I.E. I know if an animal is x number of mils its inside of my PBR zero.

When I originally drew up the G4 reticle for them, it was based around half-mil and full mil spacings, but they wanted to make it consistent with their existing BDC reticle, so the spacing are consistent across the board.

I still think that a scope like the 2-10x40 Razor HD LH with FFP reticle, a couple of holdover points and an illuminated center dot will sell like hotcakes, but the manufacturers apparently disagree. I have pitched this idea to a bunch of people and have a bunch of simple reticle designs for such a scope.

The idea is to make it a holdover only scope for shooting out to 500 yards with 200 yard zero. For common hunting cartridges you would need a very small and unobtrusive tree to do that.

ILya

When I originally drew up the G4 reticle for them, it was based around half-mil and full mil spacings, but they wanted to make it consistent with their existing BDC reticle, so the spacing are consistent across the board.

I still think that a scope like the 2-10x40 Razor HD LH with FFP reticle, a couple of holdover points and an illuminated center dot will sell like hotcakes, but the manufacturers apparently disagree. I have pitched this idea to a bunch of people and have a bunch of simple reticle designs for such a scope.

The idea is to make it a holdover only scope for shooting out to 500 yards with 200 yard zero. For common hunting cartridges you would need a very small and unobtrusive tree to do that.

ILya

That seems like a solid idea to me. My favorite part about the G4 was that it left so much FOV open. I can see why they are afraid of FFP for the general market.

I am not sure you consider anyone other than yourself worth listening to.

That having been said, I think there is a market for a decent 1" FFP scope. Let's hope someone makes it.

ILya
They have to be worth listening to first. Most aren't unfortunately. It's a function of the IQ bell curve.

ILya

Wow! You designed the G4! I really like that reticle on my HD LH. It's weird that it's not popular here. I'm glad I bought a 3-15 with the G4 while it was still available. If they came out with an illuminated center dot G4 I would buy another one.

Wow! You designed the G4! I really like that reticle on my HD LH. It's weird that it's not popular here. I'm glad I bought a 3-15 with the G4 while it was still available. If they came out with an illuminated center dot G4 I would buy another one.

I think it is better to say I inspired the G4, since they used different dimensions than what I had in mind.

I really wanted that illuminated center dot on the G4. I even suggested they do a photoluminescent dot.

ILya

And FOV is irrevent unless you are in combat. Your hunting scope is not a spotter and virtually every gun game u know the course before you shoot.

LOL, perhaps if you only shoot at paper.

Every match I have shot or RO'ed in the last 10 years has had someone shoot the wrong target because they lose their situational awareness transitioning from target to target, or moving shooting positions. It's especially common with people who have the magnification dialed way up.

My original concept looked something like this or similar. It has been a little while.

My original concept looked something like this or similar. It has been a little while.

View attachment 7082758

Yeah, they did change it a bit and got rid of the vertical line above the dot. It's nice having that line there. They should have kept it. I got a 1.5-8 with the G4 recently because it seemed like a good deal. I have it on my 10/22.

Yeah, they did change it a bit and got rid of the vertical line above the dot. It's nice having that line there. They should have kept it. I got a 1.5-8 with the G4 recently because it seemed like a good deal. I have it on my 10/22.

I have two of those. Easily my favourite compact scope. One is sitting on a 458SOCOM (my pig gun) and another is slated for Browning 300WSM levergun I want to get.

ILya

I might be the odd man out but I used to have a primary arms scope with the Orion reticle in it on a 308 tikka and that reticle and some of their other ones for FFP scopes are easy to use for hunting. Lent my rifle to a relative who was struggling to connect shots during a hunt and the reticle made all the difference it seems.

Glass and magnification were any ideal but the reticle was money.

Kosken’s reticle with the floating dot and subtensions is money too

I'm going to have to go get some popcorn.

A Swarovski z6 2-12 will fit the bill (price range, weight is close, lighted reticle option, superior to most on light transmission) - assuming you can live with SFP. Offered in multiple reticle options and even with a ballistic turret.

East coast "harvesting" it doesn't matter when you sit in a stand and your longest shot is 100... Maybe 200 yards if pressing it.

West coast hunting is mostly done by glassing with a spotter and then moving to a shooting position.

Sorry I doubted you, I forgot the only two hunting situations in the world were the East and West coasts of the USA.

I forgot no one ever hunted in the UK, France, Australia, New Zealand etc.

What about the new NF 2.5-20x50 NX8, its a 30mm tube. Seems to fit the bill abeit slightly heavier than your request.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here or not.
Toric Tract HD Mil-Mil is a great scope in 30mm. Albeit a bit heavy at 34oz.

Well I guess my Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 28 x 44 scope is "middleweight" at 27 oz. but it gives me everything I want for my light 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro.

The LRTS has mil/mil turrets and FFP, G3 "small X-Mas tree" illuminated reticle, very good glass, good turrets and turret stop (vertical) and lock (horizontal) features. And all for less than $1,000. street price.

I think you will find mostly SFP reticles in scopes at the weight you want. Even the exquisite MARCH 3 - 14 x 42 0f 50 is about 24 - 25 oz. And its price is also "exquisite" at around $3,000. which is in the "Schmidt & Bendover" price range.
Because I use laser range finder binoculars with a ballistic calculator and an indicated mil hold readout I NEED FFP so I don't have to crank the scope up to the max power to get an accurate hold. SFP reticles are ONLY accurate for mil or MOA holds at their max power setting.

Last edited:
Well I guess my Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 28 x 44 scope is "middleweight" at 27 oz. but it gives me everything I want for my light 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro.

The LRTS has mil/mil turrets and FFP, G3 "small X-Mas tree" illuminated reticle, very good glass, good turrets and turret stop (vertical) and lock (horizontal) features. And all for less than $1,000. street price.

I think you will find mostly SFP reticles in scopes at the weight you want. Even the exquisite MARCH 3 - 14 x 42 0f 50 is about 24 - 25 oz. And its prices also "exquisite" at around $3,000.
Because I use laser range finder binoculars with a ballistic calculator and an indicated mil hold readout I NEED FFP so I don't have to crank the scope up to them power to get an accurate hold. SFP reticles are ONLY accurate for mil or MOA holds at their max power setting.

March 3-24x42 is 20ish oz and $2100.

That being said, I own both it and the LRHS 3-12 and I prefer the LRHS for my hunting rifle. Main reason is the donut in the reticle makes low light hunting at 3x very easy to pick up he reticle.

March FML-1 reticle is not great for hunting IMO.

I hate the donut in my 3-12 LRHS and infinitely prefer my FFP Leupold TMR, old S&B P4F, etc. I feel like the donut pulls my eye away from the centre of the crosshair.

I hate the donut in my 3-12 LRHS and infinitely prefer my FFP Leupold TMR, old S&B P4F, etc. I feel like the donut pulls my eye away from the centre of the crosshair.
Do you hate pizza, ice cream and chocolate milk too? :p

if someone put them in a scope reticle I would be unimpressed I reckon

• Haha
Reactions: gnochi

ILya

I think a FFP 2-10 would be added weight and cost with no benefit and many inferiorities to a SFP 2-10. Give me a thick mil reticle in the SFP where it can actually be used down in the low powers. If I am having to hold over much at all then the scope will be on 10x. Anything 300 and in could be shot on any power. Past that then the 10x and mil reticle takes over. Illumination would also be unnecessary because of the SFP and thick reticle which would also keep costs down.

I think a FFP 2-10 would be added weight and cost with no benefit and many inferiorities to a SFP 2-10. Give me a thick mil reticle in the SFP where it can actually be used down in the low powers. If I am having to hold over much at all then the scope will be on 10x. Anything 300 and in could be shot on any power. Past that then the 10x and mil reticle takes over. Illumination would also be unnecessary because of the SFP and thick reticle which would also keep costs down.

SFP scopes like this already exist and are perfect for a good many applications. FFP versions of these same scope work for different users and different application, and there is a place for those too.

I do not need to advocate for SFP scope like this because there is a ton of them.

There aren't many FFP ones, but the simple fact that SWFA 3-9x42FFP is doing great for all these years and a significant part of its customer base is hunters, suggests that there is a market there.

The most obvious reason is that with a 40mm objective, you are not always going to be on 10x and it is nice to use the scope on 6x or thereabouts as light gets a little more critical.

Then, with illuminated reticles, there is a different school of thought out there: one of the advantages of FFP is that you can design a reticle that becomes very unobtrusive on low power, so that you can illuminate a center dot making it really stand out.

For me, personally, I like to practice with my hunting rifle for a variety of shots, frequently the shots that are MUCH longer than I would ever take in the field. Those are much easier with FFP scopes and, given a choice, I would prefer to use the same rifle and the same scope for both practice and field use. That helps with gear famliarity and trigger time.

ILya

Reactions: gnochi
SFP scopes like this already exist and are perfect for a good many applications. FFP versions of these same scope work for different users and different application, and there is a place for those too.

I do not need to advocate for SFP scope like this because there is a ton of them.

There aren't many FFP ones, but the simple fact that SWFA 3-9x42FFP is doing great for all these years and a significant part of its customer base is hunters, suggests that there is a market there.

The most obvious reason is that with a 40mm objective, you are not always going to be on 10x and it is nice to use the scope on 6x or thereabouts as light gets a little more critical.

Then, with illuminated reticles, there is a different school of thought out there: one of the advantages of FFP is that you can design a reticle that becomes very unobtrusive on low power, so that you can illuminate a center dot making it really stand out.

For me, personally, I like to practice with my hunting rifle for a variety of shots, frequently the shots that are MUCH longer than I would ever take in the field. Those are much easier with FFP scopes and, given a choice, I would prefer to use the same rifle and the same scope for both practice and field use. That helps with gear famliarity and trigger time.

ILya
I get that people like different things. I guess I got burned on FFP scopes for hunting when i had hogs in front of me right at dark. Scope turned down in power to let light through so I can see the pigs. Problem was that the reticle became so small that I couldnt see it. I couldnt take an ethical shot. To be fair, the FFP scope was not illuminated which is why I will never own a non-illuminated FFP scope again. Had I had my 3-9 Leupold I would have had pork. Lol

I get that people like different things. I guess I got burned on FFP scopes for hunting when i had hogs in front of me right at dark. Scope turned down in power to let light through so I can see the pigs. Problem was that the reticle became so small that I couldnt see it. I couldnt take an ethical shot. To be fair, the FFP scope was not illuminated which is why I will never own a non-illuminated FFP scope again. Had I had my 3-9 Leupold I would have had pork. Lol

Even non-illuminated reticles can be designed to be usable in FFP scopes on all mag ranges, but intelligent reticle design is somewhat undervalued.

ILya

Reactions: supercorndogs
I've been hunting with FFP scopes for 10 years (S&B with P4F, Leupold TMR, Vortex EBR, Bushnell LRHS with the donut) and have not had any issues with seeing the reticle in any light conditions.

Reactions: supercorndogs
March 3-24x42 is 20ish oz and $2100.

That being said, I own both it and the LRHS 3-12 and I prefer the LRHS for my hunting rifle. Main reason is the donut in the reticle makes low light hunting at 3x very easy to pick up he reticle.

March FML-1 reticle is not great for hunting IMO.
I like the donut also ...it seems quicker and my eye just centers it....simple , surely everyone can find the center of a circle... I think it was designed for quick and up close shooting.....I assure you if something big and mean was bearing down on me I'm picking donut Everytime....