• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

load for 1-9 twist AR

swarrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
Commiefornia (Ridgcrest)
I need a starting point for loads for an AR-15. It has a 20inch barrel with a 1-9 twist. I will be using this for shots out to 600 and do not want to single load. Yes I have read the .223 reloading section.

Re: load for 1-9 twist AR

75 grain Hornady bullets should be stabilized in a 1-9 inch, 77 SMK will not.

Good luck

Jerry

Any 1-9" I have owned had no problem stabilizing a 75 Hornady Match or a 77 Match King.

I prefer the 75H. I shoot them in 1-7, 1-8, and 1-9. One 1-9 is set up to shoot 55gr Vmax (for coyote hunting) but the rest are fed 75H's w/ re15.

308sako.....nice pics and NICE shootin'!

Keith

When shooting on the MD State rifle team we found that not all rifles would shoot the 77SMK. We wound up shoot the 75 Hornady in the ITT match at Camp Perry. YMMV

PS Seeing the above groups I am going to try them.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the 77SMK and the 75HPBT are there any problems with setting them at MAG length? </div></div>

Nope, that's their beauty. The 75bthp from Hornady at mag length was what the USMC team shot for many years (and may still shoot) across the course to 600yds at matches.

I've found that if I shoot Hornady 68 grain match, or, Nosler 77 grain out of my 1-9, the groups are about an inch at 100 yards, but, shrink to 3/4" at 200.

60 grain V-max seem to shoot really well, but, I haven't taken them past 200 yards.

oh yea-Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've found that if I shoot Hornady 68 grain match, or, Nosler 77 grain out of my 1-9, the groups are about an inch at 100 yards, but, shrink to 3/4" at 200.

60 grain V-max seem to shoot really well, but, I haven't taken them past 200 yards.

oh yea-Varget. </div></div>

Are you saying that your rifle shoots 1" at 100yds and then the same bullet keeps traveling to 200yds and arrives in a 3/4" group??? Based on that at 300yds does it go into a 1/2" group, and then at 400yds it.......well you get the idea.

Yea, I'm being a smart ass. But I don't understand. I could see the MOA group being smaller but not the measurement with a ruler.

confused,
Keith

I've found a load that mimics 69gr FGMM in the saem rifle configuration you're shooting...

25.3gr Varget
69gr Sierra BTHP (I've shot the 69gr scenar in it too)
Win or RP brass
cci 400 small rifle primer
loaded to 2.26 (max mag length)

I watched through a spotting scope as my friend put 4 shots in the same damn hole... the hole measured .244" edge to edge

I've shot this load out to 500m with good results as well.