• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Long throat on my TRG 22

GorbashUK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Northern Ireland U.K.
Hi Guys, i have a TRG 22 .308 with about 1500 reloads through it (Vit 140 and 168gr SMK's). using a Stoneypoint guage i have always noticed my cartridge OAL is slightly longer than cartridge info listed in the reloading manuals and in my friends trgs. My current oal using the SMKs with a .20 jump to the lands is 2.990 inches, almost 3 inches. Does this seem too long for a barely used TRG? My gun shoots .4 moa easily, but am a bit worried about the long oal. Let me know what you all think

Re: Long throat on my TRG 22

Don't know about the TRG 22 but the various Steyr SSG's I've owned required an extreme OAL to have a short Bullet-jump. I don't know what kind of Voodoo Magic those Europeans use but apparently a long jump doesn't affect accuracy as much as we are lead to believe. I've used "standard" length .308 in an SSG and had no appreciable decrease in accuracy from the rounds that had between .015 and .020 jump. FWIW

As long as it cycles reliably and shoots well... it's tough to argue with success!
smile.gif

Both my TRGs (.308 & 300wm) have a long throat. Same story with a friend's rifle to.

They all seem to shoot well though. I'm not complaining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zunrj5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both my TRGs (.308 & 300wm) have a long throat. Same story with a friend's rifle to.

They all seem to shoot well though. I'm not complaining.

</div></div>
Good to know that im not alone, i cannot see any erosion and im careful with cleaning and maintenance. Reckon i just have a long throated trg.

Same here, I try not to contemplate just how much jump there is but it shoots well.

I just load 155 Senars to 2.9" which is pretty well maximum mag length.

TC