• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Dillon 550B mentor...

texas_vet00

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2010
    TX
    Here's the deal: I ordered all the Dillon 550B pieces and parts to reload along with several reloading books that I have read/read/read.

My 550B is on 3-5 week delay and the ask here is for someone in the Houston area to be open to the idea of "I bring all the supplies (powders, primers, brass, bullets) and someone will spend a few hours to walk me through the process" if that makes sense.

223 and 308 is what I am after here and a few rounds of each would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for Dillon 550B mentor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasVet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the deal: I ordered all the Dillon 550B pieces and parts to reload along with several reloading books that I have read/read/read.

My 550B is on 3-5 week delay and the ask here is for someone in the Houston area to be open to the idea of "I bring all the supplies (powders, primers, brass, bullets) and someone will spend a few hours to walk me through the process" if that makes sense.

223 and 308 is what I am after here and a few rounds of each would be greatly appreciated.

</div></div>

If you make it down to Miami, PM me.

Chris

Since the 550b doesn't auto-index it is very controllable. Dillon sends good instructions and is super cool if you call with tech questions. You Tube has tons of videos. Brianenos.com has a whole section for just this press also.

Don't be scared, go for it!

I too just purchased a 550b.... it's not difficult once you read threw the directions and tie it into a GOOD you tube video.

I'm still waiting on my .223 conversion. I talked with a Dillon tech rep and he said they are 500+ backordered! (this was last week, so hopefully they get caught up soon).

Dont know how often you come to Dallas. But if you come through here I can help.

Thanks for all the responses here...been watching the youtube videos and learning a lot indeed.

Now where is that FedEx truck??!!
    smile.gif

The 550B is a great press and load .223 and .308 on it as well as all of my pistol ammo. The trickiest station to set up for me is the powder measure. Setting up the sizing die is pretty easy if you use a case gauge or headspace tool. Start with one station at a time and work your way around the press. Take your time setting it up and follow the instructions. If you have issues contact Dillon since their CS is excellent.

You'll find that the biggest PITA is changing the primer feed out between large and small primers. If you have only a couple hundred of a batch to load you might want to prime with a Lee autoprime rather than take the time to switch. I've had one (then two to avoid the PITA) for 20 plus years and it is still a pain.