• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

looking for light weight and accurate?

deergrizzly

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
MDI , Maine
I am looking for a gun for someone 308 or lower caliber
some of the most accurate guns I have shot have all had a heavy/target/bull type barrel.
any suggetions on lightweight guns or barrels 18"
that would shoot around 3/4 moa in three shot group
for a woman to shoot.

Re: looking for light weight and accurate?

This rifle shoots better then your requirements and my 95-100 pound daughter has been shooting it for the last two years. savage PC in .308
short308001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deergrizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a gun for someone 308 or lower caliber
some of the most accurate guns I have shot have all had a heavy/target/bull type barrel.
any suggetions on lightweight guns or barrels 18"
that would shoot around 3/4 moa in three shot group
for a woman to shoot.
</div></div>

To shoot what? Paper? Steel? Game?

For paper, I'd go with a midweight sporter in something like 17 Remington (Rem 700 LVSS as an example).

Steel, a 243.

Ditto for game.

Quite pricey (figure double plus), but well worth the money. L-W Ultra-Lightweight Barrels. You can keep the longer barrel length at half the weight, and the unique design sheds heat very fast.

Looking to shoot 100 to 150 yards targets and hunting whitetail.
She had a stock ruger model 77 lightweight in 243 with 16.5 inch barrel.
The size of the gun was perfect just was not accurate enough.

Have the Ruger re-barreled with a similar contour barrel but from a reputable barrel maker and be done with it.

TC Icon or Venture. Both are awesome guns for the money. I have the Icon SS weathershield in .243. It is my new favorite bolt gun.

I'm going to commit an act of heresy and make a few assumptions. I'm going to gather this isn't a range gun because of your weight concern. Something to keep in mind, perceived recoil increase as weight decreases for any given caliber. As far as accuracy goes the Savage is an excellent choice, but now I'll put on my witch garb and utter the words worthy of being burned at the stake... Weatherby... The S2 isn't out just yet, but it is a less expensive version of their Sub-MOA series which I normally see going for just under $800.00, so with a starting MSRP price of $450.00 I see a lot of potential for value. The Weatherby Vanguards are Howa barreled actions which are known for their tight tolerances, and strength. If you ever get a chance, put a Howa bolt next to a Remington and little will be left to the imagination, and I dare say it's a bit embarrassing.

With what I expect to be a $399.00 price, that would leave a fair chunk of change for base, rings and scope and maybe a box of ammo or to on just about anybody's budget.

I have donned my internet Nomex... Flame on...