• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for New Long Range Optic

dega37

Private
Minuteman
I am in the market for a new long range optic and am in need of assistance. I plan on tactical shooting 700-1700 yards. My current optic is the Premier Reticles 5-25 (I also own, use and love the TT3-15). I am currently looking at ZCO 5-27, TT 5-25, and the Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35 with the Tremor3 illuminated. I was really leaning toward the Leupold, but I haven't seen it or used it. The things I like about the leupold (again based only on others reviews) 1) image clarity and light gathering 2) Optical power it goes to 35 which is amazing 3) price - large cost savings from the TT and still a lot cheaper than the ZCO 4) I really like the Tremor reticle and illumination dots 5) lighter @33oz vs ZCO 37.9 and TT 40.57 Things I dont like about the Leupold 1) capped windage 2) length 15.7" vs ZCO 12.8" and TT 16.7" 3) non locking turrets and diopter 4) odd bulge on Elevation and knob on Zoom lever 5) Width. RIght now I am leaning towards the ZCO because of the overall package of great glass, slim turrets/ergonomics locking elevation and diopter and length with a great reticle MPCT 2 but has shorter magnification. Lastly the TT is what I am used to but it is so expensive now, is also the heaviest but I love the glass, the wide parallax, overall ergonomics and the Gen3 XR reticle. The turrets are a little tall and dont lock, but I love the quick zero adjustment too. Did I mention how expensive it is?

I would really like to know your opinions. Thanks

Reactions: CSTactical
Get
The
ZCO

End of thread

If you really want 7-35 I’d go NF ATACR before I’d go anything Leupold
Thanks for the reply. I am not a fan of night force operation. The eyepiece moves when adjusting magnification, the illumination is annoying, windage is capped and the elevation turret moves up and down with adjustments.

Thanks for the reply. I am not a fan of night force operation. The eyepiece moves when adjusting magnification, the illumination is annoying, windage is capped and the elevation turret moves up and down with adjustments.
I understand the eyepiece moving

I understand pushing a button for illumination can get annoying

I understand that running the windage without a cap (which you can easily do) can be annoying

The elevation moving up and down while adjusting has me confused tho

I understand the eyepiece moving

I understand pushing a button for illumination can get annoying

I understand that running the windage without a cap (which you can easily do) can be annoying

The elevation moving up and down while adjusting has me confused tho
dust and debris can get on/inbetween the turret

Get your hands on the ZCO and TT- the magnification ring on the TT felt tight to me- I liked the ZCO better just for that reason.

While I think that the TT is still the best overall I don't think that the ZCO can be beat for the money. I do not see $1K more in improvement with the TT over the ZCO. I could not be happier with my ZC527 and the MPCT3 reticle has me sold.

• Love
If you want TT image quality without the TT price look at Minox ZP5. Since you own Premier you’ll know that is the parent design to them both. I had TT and ZP5 at the same time, I could not tell a discernible difference between the two optically. I’ve also had ZCO and think they have the best glass outside of TT and ZP5. ZCO has the best ergonomics IMO with nice large numbers and lower profile turrets.

Above you mention looking at the ZC527 but in the specs you list length at 12.8” which is the length of the ZCO 4-20?

I guarantee the Leupold glass does not compete at the ZCO level. Yes the Leupold offers 35x but realistically how often are you going to use that. Long range does not equate to higher magnification as all you end up doing is magnifying atmospherics, most shooters are dialing down not up in these conditions.

if you really want high magnification check out the new March 5-42x56 HM or the Gen II 5-40x56. The new locking turrets on these scopes are phenomenal and come as close to TT quality as I’ve found, and since I prefer wider spacing I like them even more than the TT.

The point of T3 is to hold wind so...
It’s a great reticle IMO but takes some getting used to. Very busy.
I second ZCO 527. If you haven’t, I’d use a 7-35 and make sure you like/want to deal with that high of power.

if you really want high magnification check out the new March 5-42x56 HM or the Gen II 5-40x56. The new locking turrets on these scopes are phenomenal and come as close to TT quality as I’ve found, and since I prefer wider spacing I like them even more than the TT.

Above the S&B 5-45, or just due to price?

I think I'm going to go with the ZC527 5-27x56, MPCT3. Would someone mind PM'ing me with a contact to get a good price?

Pretty sure it's msrp or bust. I got mine from CS Tactical along with ZCO rings. Still like ARC's the best, though.

Pretty sure it's msrp or bust. I got mine from CS Tactical along with ZCO rings. Still like ARC's the best, though.
The March-F 5-40X56 is a different animal than the March-FX 5-42X56. The 5-40X56 is a longer scope and does not have the wide angle eyepiece similar to the 5-42X56. The 5-40X56 GenII uses the turrets of the 5-42X56 and the fast focus, (but not wide angle) eyepiece. It is more of a traditional riflescope, albeit an excellent one.

You know, I might have changed my mind, I am digging the Kahles 525i DLR with the SKMR4 and Left Windage. The new glass looks clearer than the previous Kahles which was a big complaint of mine. Wider field of view, lighter shorter, better pupil, eye relief, and from the tracking test scored better, and cheaper than the ZCO. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: tex68w
You know, I might have changed my mind, I am digging the Kahles 525i DLR with the SKMR4 and Left Windage. The new glass looks clearer than the previous Kahles which was a big complaint of mine. Wider field of view, lighter shorter, better pupil, eye relief, and from the tracking test scored better, and cheaper than the ZCO. What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't consider the Kahles equal to the ZCO, it's not far behind it but it's definitely not an equal. I do like the LSW and the SKMR4 reticle is pretty close to the MPCT3. The tracking test differed by 0.10 with the Kahles scoring 100 out of 3 scopes tested and the ZCO scoring 99.9 out of 8 where only two of those scopes didn't have a perfect 100, take the three best of each and they both have a 100, hardly worth a mention. The Kahles is cheaper but only by a mere $200 (retail/msrp), for that difference I'd go with the ZCO every single time. I am not dogging the Kahles, it made my final three on my last purchase break down but I don't think that it's on the same level as the ZCO, just being honest. Now if you can get one for around $3K I think it's the one to buy, no doubt about it.

Whatever you do, don’t get a Horus reticle. It’s marketed towards new shooter but you’ll quickly outgrow it once you realize how dumb it is.

• Haha
Reactions: Eric32
I wouldn't consider the Kahles equal to the ZCO, it's not far behind it but it's definitely not an equal. I do like the LSW and the SKMR4 reticle is pretty close to the MPCT3. The tracking test differed by 0.10 with the Kahles scoring 100 out of 3 scopes tested and the ZCO scoring 99.9 out of 8 where only two of those scopes didn't have a perfect 100, take the three best of each and they both have a 100, hardly worth a mention. The Kahles is cheaper but only by a mere $200 (retail/msrp), for that difference I'd go with the ZCO every single time. I am not dogging the Kahles, it made my final three on my last purchase break down but I don't think that it's on the same level as the ZCO, just being honest. Now if you can get one for around $3K I think it's the one to buy, no doubt about it.
Have you been behind the DLR? I just saw this video and @4:33 you can clearly see the new glass is phenomenal