• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LR-308 build

turnandshoot4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Kouts, IN
Alright guys I need some help. I would like to build a 600-700 yard semi auto rifle in the near future. The reason I want to build is so I can have it exactly the way I want. For me to get the Larue the cost will continue to rise above my price range. I had been saving for the REPR but the inability to take the 10 magpul LR mags takes it out of consideration.

Here is what I have right now:
$3,000

Here is what I would like:
18" barrel in .308 that is threaded
Adjustable gas block
Nightforce or better optics (for the right rifle build I can wait on optics)
Ability to take magpul mags
Forward assist
No worse than 1 MOA

I contacted Iron Ridge arms on their matched upper/lower sets and I was told there was a wait (no problem) and the price just went up. These look awesome. BUT their price is $1,075 for the DPMS pattern which puts a hurtin on my budget. I picked up the DPMS 24" at a gunshow last weekend and geesh that thing was heavy. This rifle is lugged through the woods to target practice so it can't be too heavy.

So, what rifle would you build with the $3,000?

Thanks!

Re: LR-308 build

Since you don't seem to be in a big hurry, I'd have a rifle custom made to your specs. Given the availability of components, orders ahead of you, etc., you are probably looking at a pretty good wait time. GA Precision is an excellent place to start and you can get exactly what you want for under your stated budget of $3k.

http://gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles/ga-precision-precision-ar-10.html

There are other custom builders out there that can probably build you the rifle you want to your spec, but I'd start with George and Co and see what they can put together for you. Their Precision AR-10 rifles are just out of this world!!

ORD the only reason i didnt suggest GAP is because George came on here a couple weeks back and was suggesting APA since they are so backlogged with AR builds, but i would still call GAP and see what they say

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">call APA or get the parts and put it together yourself </div></div>

I had never seen them before, thanks for the reply! I sent them an email on a parts kit.

I'd really like to build this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ORD the only reason i didnt suggest GAP is because George came on here a couple weeks back and was suggesting APA since they are so backlogged with AR builds, but i would still call GAP and see what they say </div></div>

Oops. sorry about that. I knew that GAP had a hefty backlog of AR-10/DPMS rifles, but I didn't know George had made that comment recently. I'd still check in with them just in case, but that said, APA is certainly another excellent option and I am sure that they'll work with their customers on a specific build. I have never had an opportunity to shoot their semi-auto rifle offerings, but I know the quality of their work on bolt rifles to be first class.

They don't even have it listed on their website. I don't know if I can wait that long.
smile.gif