• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Magnetospeed V3 military model.

ken226

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
According to my google-fu, the model# is msv3-bt, and was supplied to the army as part of the xm110 rifle package. This appears to be a unit that was transferred out of the military through DRMO or something.

Anyone know anything about this model?

The nsn is 1005-01-645-8136. Called the "real-time velocity feeedback system"

It appears to be a v3, but with an all black bayonet, a slightly different display housing and a different carry case.

Last edited:
Update:

My military magnetospeed arrived.

I thought I'd post a couple pics in case anyone spots one of these for sale in the future, and is looking for info on them.

Having never owned the standard retail version, I'm not sure what all is different. Quality seems pretty decent.

The display unit is in a rubberized housing. It seems pretty weatherproof and drop resistant.

Reactions: superde
According to my google-fu, the model# is msv3-bt, and was supplied to the army as part of the xm110 rifle package. This appears to be a unit that was transferred out of the military through DRMO or something.

Anyone know anything about this model?

The nsn is 1005-01-645-8136. Called the "real-time velocity feeedback system"

It appears to be a v3, but with an all black bayonet, a slightly different display housing and a different carry case.
These kits were not transferred out of the Army or Marines. Any of the military V3s being sold on forums or commercially have either been "acquired" by supply SGTs or "removed" from property books.

These kits were not transferred out of the Army or Marines. Any of the military V3s being sold on forums or commercially have either been "acquired" by supply SGTs or "removed" from property books.
Which means if you have an issue with it your probably out of luck as you should be for supporting theft.

Apparently the same version was also exported to some foreign governments. There's a US military part# and an export part#.

US version

Export version

I'm not sure how this particular one ended up for sale. Obviously the one I got is the US version.
There are only two versions: The commercial V3 kit that comes in the black soft case or black plastic hard case. And there is the Mil version. Magnetospeed does not sell the MIL kits commercially. I know how the mil kits ended up for sale: someone got them through the contract that MagnetoSpeed supplied the US Army and USMC and took a number of them and sold them to make money. Classic Supply Sgt shuffle. Occasionally; a Mil V3 will be posted on Fayetteville, Clarksville, El Paso, Oceanside, Jacksonville, Quantico Buy/Sell/Trade Facebook groups.

I don’t like buying stolen property. Anyone have any idea how I should proceed?
Thanks, Steve

Which means if you have an issue with it your probably out of luck as you should be for supporting theft.
[email protected]
512-284-8161 ext 1.

I never implied I support theft. Magnetospeed can't control anything after we deliver the products for the contract.
If you have any questions, I can be reached at the email and phone number above.

I don’t like buying stolen property. Anyone have any idea how I should proceed?
Thanks, Steve

I think you will be ok. You are too far removed from the source. Unfortunately, this happens a lot with gear in the Army and USMC. Especially since it is not serialized nor considered a sensitive item. Magnetospeed can't do anything about it. Enjoy the chronograph.

I think you will be ok. You are too far removed from the source. Unfortunately, this happens a lot with gear in the Army and USMC. Especially since it is not serialized nor considered a sensitive item. Magnetospeed can't do anything about it. Enjoy the chronograph.

Thanks for the info Ryan. Don't think I will find out anything, but I sent a message the the Ebay seller asking how he acquired the item.

Steve

Thanks for the info Ryan. Don't think I will find out anything, but I sent a message the the Ebay seller asking how he acquired the item.

Steve

Was your seller out of Tennessee?

@The Hey

Are you certain the military didn't give it to some po-dunk police Dept. through DRMO?

Sometimes city and county agencies get good deals on equipment through DRMO, then later get short on funds and sell off inventory.

I've heard of local agencies getting old m9 pistols from DRMO, using them for a couple years then trading them in with local gun dealers for new pistols.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
Was your seller out of Tennessee?
@The Hey

Seller was from NC. The answer he gave was plausible, and I think everything was on the up and up.
Steve

Are you certain the military didn't give it to some po-dunk police Dept. through DRMO?

Sometimes city and county agencies get good deals on equipment through DRMO, then later get short on funds and sell off inventory.

I've heard of local agencies getting old m9 pistols from DRMO, using them for a couple years then trading them in with local gun dealers for new pistols.

Did you ever hear back as to how the seller got a hold of these?

Did you ever hear back as to how the seller got a hold of these?

I'm not the OP, but if you're asking me, he said that he thinks he won it at a shooting competition.
"I think I won that as I don’t remember buying or trading anything for it. It could have been from a lot of things but was most likely from Accuracy 1st, the duskin 3 gun or the USASOC international sniper competition. Im thinking it was one of the latter two, but I don’t know for sure as I don’t keep track of what I got from where. "

Steve

There are literally a million ways a piece of equipment bought by DOD can end up on the market and many of them have nothing to do with theft.

Not everything goes through DRMO, stuff gets thrown away, written off property books, left on installation, Traded for other gear, Lost ,ect. Add in OCO funding and the wars and its cheaper to lose most things than to keep track of them.

Yea stuff does get stolen but don't just assume it was gotten through nefarious means. DOD loses over $125 Billion a year that that cannot even account for, so its no surprise they can't efficiently and effectively manage their inventory.

OP unless you know for a fact or have reasonable suspicion it was stolen then who cares. No one else does. (except maybe magneto speed when it comes to warranty work). Just enjoy it and drive on.

I'm not the OP, but if you're asking me, he said that he thinks he won it at a shooting competition.
"I think I won that as I don’t remember buying or trading anything for it. It could have been from a lot of things but was most likely from Accuracy 1st, the duskin 3 gun or the USASOC international sniper competition. Im thinking it was one of the latter two, but I don’t know for sure as I don’t keep track of what I got from where. "

Steve
I remember everything I've won of value at matches. I seriously doubt that guy goes to the prize table so often that he doesn't remember

Smells like bullshit

Off topic, but will Magneto speed sell that case to those of us with commercial units? They look badass.
No. We do not supply any part of the mil kit for commercial sales. The only Hardcase available is the black hard case for the commercial V3. We also have the black soft case available.

There are literally a million ways a piece of equipment bought by DOD can end up on the market and many of them have nothing to do with theft.

Not everything goes through DRMO, stuff gets thrown away, written off property books, left on installation, Traded for other gear, Lost ,ect. Add in OCO funding and the wars and its cheaper to lose most things than to keep track of them.

Yea stuff does get stolen but don't just assume it was gotten through nefarious means. DOD loses over $125 Billion a year that that cannot even account for, so its no surprise they can't efficiently and effectively manage their inventory.

OP unless you know for a fact or have reasonable suspicion it was stolen then who cares. No one else does. (except maybe magneto speed when it comes to warranty work). Just enjoy it and drive on.

@308pirate

Yea, perhaps I was too subtle.

He posted this
"These kits were not transferred out of the Army or Marines. Any of the military V3s being sold on forums or commercially have either been "acquired" by supply SGTs or "removed" from property books"

Then he posted this:
Magnetospeed can't control anything after we deliver the products for the contract.

My reply was meant to point out to everyone here certain that it's stolen property, that there are plausible explanations @The Hey , by his own admission, may not be aware of.

Reactions: The Hey
Got all that. Tracking. I am familiar with property books and how gear and equipment can go missing. or moved around. These mil kits were for a specific contract. And every MIL V3 that has made it eBay or Fort Hood/Fort Bragg/Oceanside/Lejune/Benning etc buy sell and trade group is one less MIL V3 that a USMC or US Army Sniper team should have had.

Flipside
after we fulfilled the contract: out of our hands.

I guess what I was asking is the Mil unit Berry compliant and therefore a different case? Its possible the procurement was under the dollar threshold or contracting vehicle that would require Berry compliance.

Going to order the soft case either way, was just curious. Will be easier to pack to range.

Thanks for all the Info!!!

Military units turn equipment over to DRMO all the time. DRMO sells or gives that shit away to any city, state, county, federal or other military unit who wants it. Some of that shit is brand-new, unused equipment.

An agency I used to work for got a bulldozer, a road grader, and a half dozen MP5 Navy variants from DRMO. They sent officers every year to get stuff that otherwise would be unaffordable. Alot of SWAT units get armored vehicles from DRMO.

When another organization owns it, it belongs to them. They can buy/sell/trade it to their hearts content, as long as it's legal for the buyer to own.

It's not unheard-of for small police and sheriff's departments to trade DRMO gear, and sometimes even weapons, to local gun dealers for upgraded stuff.

What do you suppose the local gun dealer does with that legally acquired gear?

Last edited:
I guess what I was asking is the Mil unit Berry compliant and therefore a different case? Its possible the procurement was under the dollar threshold or contracting vehicle that would require Berry compliance.

Going to order the soft case either way, was just curious. Will be easier to pack to range.

Thanks for all the Info!!!
Thank you for the re-word. The Mil kit soft case is Tan in color and is berry complaint. The Mil kit also comes with a deployment hardshell.

The commercial soft case (the one in the link I provided in the last reply) is not Berry Comp. We have commercial black ones in stock.

Reactions: Tokay444
I wonder if these units were specific to a weapon system procurement (like the M110). Possible they were d/xed if they got rid of the systems due to newer stuff coming online or re-aligned MTOE. They could have been associated with the items being taken off the property books or simply left off due to them being coded as RFI/OCO type purchases. The amount of shit that never makes it onto the property books is insane and commanders and PBO's don't really give a shit about anything they aren't responsible for (what's on the books). Does sound pretty stupid to excess brand new velocity sets that can be adapted to just about any new system.

The bright side is you guys might get some more sales. I would have killed for these units when I was in.

...except when municipalities buy stuff illegally... like Boston did with a bunch of SAWs and some Mk 19s. Those losers actually went and bought stuff from an overseas government, where the United States gave it as foreign aid... and somehow reimported it to the country.

The army was not amused.

...except when municipalities buy stuff illegally... like Boston did with a bunch of SAWs and some Mk 19s. Those losers actually went and bought stuff from an overseas government, where the United States gave it as foreign aid... and somehow reimported it to the country.

The army was not amused.

Yea, that is very not-cool.

One city agency I worked for scored mp5s for our swat unit. They were used alot.

The dozer and grader were used by the city works department for the landfill.

Military units turn equipment over to DRMO all the time. DRMO sells or gives that shit away to any city, state, county, federal or other military unit who wants it. Some of that shit is brand-new, unused equipment.

An agency I used to work for got a bulldozer, a road grader, and a half dozen MP5 Navy variants from DRMO. They sent officers every year to get stuff that otherwise would be unaffordable. Alot of SWAT units get armored vehicles from DRMO.

When another organization owns it, it belongs to them. They can buy/sell/trade it to their hearts content, as long as it's legal for the buyer to own.

It's not unheard-of for small police and sheriff's departments to trade DRMO gear, and sometimes even weapons, to local gun dealers for upgraded stuff.

What do you suppose the local gun dealer does with that legally acquired gear?

Tracking on all. While it's possible that some MIL V3s have been sliced off; most of the notifications I get about these hitting b/s/t groups close to Army and USMC bases are cases of "sticky supply SGT fingers." So the historically and by precentage; the MIL V3 kits making to the civilian market were not supposed to.

But as you said; it is possible. And at the end of it all: It's out of our (MagnetoSpeed) hands.

We will honor our 2-year warranty for those kits as we do for our Commerical kits, however, we cannot replace any broke deployment hard shell, Berry complaint Tan case, or water-resistant display case. If anyone has a bayonet issue and needs a bayonet replaced; they will get the standard red V3 bayonet.

Reactions: ken226
I’m gonna assume anything like this is stolen until proven otherwise.

Yea they’re ways that stuff can make it out legally, let’s see the paperwork or I’m not buying.

Reactions: sleeplz and ken226
Those look interesting. I just recently departed a unit that we had Magnetospeeds at our exposal and they were the standard V3 Magentospeed. The unit must have conducted an open purchase request for them.

For stuff like that they just use the GPC. The micro purchase single limit was $3K at the time (No idea what it is now in DOD, mine is $50k at my agency). Certain class items are supposed to be bought through the system but its almost always easier to buy COTS and no one really cares anyway.

With one year appropriations as well, lots of shit gets bought end of fiscal year to execute the budget. For a tuned in line unit, this would be an excellent end of year purchase that actually gets used by the troops.

Screenshot_20200430-181855_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-181920_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Just got on ebay to have a look after reading this thread and found this. As bad as I want one I'm not going to buy something that more than likely is stolen.
Screenshot_20200430-181855_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-181920_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Does it work any better than the commercial version?

I doubt it.

If it doesn't, what's the point other than to look cool?

Does it work any better than the commercial version?

I doubt it.

If it doesn't, what's the point other than to look cool?
Functionality: It is the same as the commercial version.

Differences: (per contract for US Army and USMC)
Black bayonet, a berry complaint Tan soft case, deployment hardshell hardcase, water-resistant display cover, and improved cable heads. Extra spacers and rubber pads.

To get past Berry compliance, couple more US made components added into the package like case and softcase and a cable or two and SD card + 2 batteries ) but is V3 underneath. Only thing that can be seen as any improvement is the rubber cased display

Last edited: