• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Making primers last longer in storage?

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
Any tips on making primers last longer in storage? I've got some old primers I bought back in college.... um.... 17 years ago and I've had a few misfires with them recently. I'm not so worried about the old ones at this point but I've stockpiled a number of new primers and want to make sure they can sit around for a while without going stale.

Other the 'a cool dry place' any tips on storage? Ziplock bags? Vacuum packing? desiccant packs?

Re: Making primers last longer in storage?

Wow, 17 years is along time. I just keep mine in closet in room temperature and humidity. I would say humidity is more of a problem than temperature.

Also, at least we now know where all the primers are right?

Primers should last indefinitely if not exposed to heat and humidity. I recently shot 1000 Alcan large pistol primers that were packaged in a Smith & Wesson box. I figure they were made back in the 70's. Have no idea how they were stored, but no misfires. I keep mine inside an air conditioned house, but the humidity down here in the south is pretty bad.

ZipLock bags with dessicants are a great way to store them. If you have spare ammo cans, leaving them in there is, once so bagged and tagged, is even better insurance.

In full disclosure, I looked to Victor for that advice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ZipLock bags with dessicants are a great way to store them. If you have spare ammo cans, leaving them in there is, once so bagged and tagged, is even better insurance.

In full disclosure, I looked to Victor for that advice! </div></div>

And if you don't have the little "desi-packs" you can bake sidewalk chalk in the oven for an hour at 200*F and wrap in sections of a paper towel for the same effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, at least we now know where all the primers are right? </div></div>

Bah, I think I have 5k CCI BR2s and maybe 2k in assorted pistol stuff. Quite a cache for me, not so much in the grand scheme of things. I got most of them before the 'whatever the hell' scare that's making things so hard to get now.

Baggies with desiccant it is.

Oh, and my failure rate has been 1 in 50 with the old mag primers.
frown.gif

Do whatever works for you. But after a long storage, I would test a few from each individual box before loading them all.