• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    @SkyScrapin and I were going back and forth on what our go to night rifles are, and he thought it would be a good idea to share some info on the trajectory side of things, so here we are. FYI, his stuff is way cooler and probably shoots much better than mine!

A little background; I started yote hunting here in the midwest about three years ago and I've gone from using a PVS14 with a laser (don't those give you superpowers?) to head mounted thermal and a couple different clip on setups (I2 thanks to @Surgeon_Shooter and cheaper thermal for now). That's a whole different discussion, but I'm glad I started with the 14 and continue to save for some different equipment.

In an effort to maximize my effectiveness at night under time constraints (dogs don't sit there, and are generally working downwind), I've found myself comparing drop tables to see which bullet / cartridge / rifle combination gives the best performance with the least amount of compromises (with extra points if I can load higher BC projectiles in the same platform for true long range work).

My thought process is the following:
    • Portable rifle after suppressed and equipped for night use
      • I have been pleasantly surprised with what is achievable out of a shorter bolt gun with a Creed or PRC type case
      • I'm a clip on user because these guns get shot during the day too
    • Using the JBM calculator, I input that the radius for the MPBR is 3" (default is 5")
    • For longer range calculations, I assume the rifle is sighted in 0.5 MIL high (easy to get back to 100y zero if needed, and this is generally in line with the MPBR zero)
    • MPBR is important, but I also want to take into account the supersonic range of a setup to get an idea of what is reasonable for shooting steel (i.e. practice)
    • I really prefer to shoot factory ammo, but will handload a couple hundred rounds at a time for a varmint gun if I can't get factory loads to shoot well
      • This is why calibers that can shoot higher BC factory loads are also prioritized
    • After MPBR, I want to see what drops are like at 400y, 500y, and 700y (again, assuming 0.5 MIL high at 100y)
    • Wind holds are not included as those sometimes are too much information, and I try to hunt nights that aren't crazy windy (I know, tons of dogs die on cold windy nights).
      • Generally, I will opt for the heavier class of bullet if I'm on the fence between two bullets as this helps with wind
    This is by no means a comprehensive list, but simply a comparison of the rifles I have at the moment that I would run at night (the 300 NM is really there just to see what is possible for a silly flat trajectory which interestingly isn't too far off the 6 Creed handloaded).

1714511078339.png

Here is a link to a Google sheet with a running list, please add yours if you'd like!

Would love to see what you guys are running!

Oh, and bonus pic of the 6 Creed in action (300y shot isn't anything ground breaking, but it was nice to be able to hold dead on)

1714511129724.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: SkyScrapin
    How far out will you take a shot at a coyote?

I ask because for eastern white tail I zero at 200 and will shoot anything up to that range as point blank. 250, I’m 4” low (.308, Hndy ELD-X 178 gr) and can hold over easily. And I’m not shooting anything past 250 with this crappy factory Rem 700 barrel. lol

Last edited:
    Reactions: rlsmith1
    How far out will you take a shot at a coyote?

I ask because for eastern white tail I zero at 200 and will shoot anything up to that range as point blank. 250, I’m 4” low (.408, Hndy ELD-X 178 gr) and can hold over easily. And I’m not shooting anything past 250 with this crappy factory Rem 700 barrel. lol
    I'd say the environmentals dictate. If it is a relatively calm night, the moon is out for the PVS30, and the dog is easily visible, I'd take a poke at 500y or 600y on a yote. However, at that point I'd probably take a note to start working on my calling or pick a different stand location next time. They are way more fun to shoot at 50 yards haha.

Crappy weather with some humidity in the air I'd be hard pressed to shoot much past 350y or 400y with the 6 Creed

Reactions: Baron23
    Well here’s a couple of my fun setups. Top is an HK MR762 with a 12.5” barrel, KAC UNS-SR clip on with an L3 unfilmed wp tube, 1-8CC, Abelco biscuit S can, Raid Xe laser and I’m running 168 match kings. Mostly for hogs but I shoot dogs with it sometimes too.

The second one is a 249 with a Pvs-17b,PEQ-2a laser and Abelco Biscuit can. If your not gunning dogs down with a saw from your roof with green tips then you’re not trying hard enough…

The last one is just a picture of OP’s 30 on my rifle because damn that thing is slick!

Jay
    1-70.jpeg
    IMG_1511.jpeg
    22.png

How is the 3" mpbr working for you? I go back and forth on the +/- 3" mpbr because coyote vitals are a relatively small target