• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Micron Precision Dies

FNG1001

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
I've been thinking about picking up a couple of these. What interests me a lot is the ability to resize + decap + run a mandrel through them. Very similar to SAC. Has anyone run them in this configuration? The price is comparable to SAC. Harrell's is another, which makes great dies, but requires an additional mandrel die step. However, with Micron, fired brass goes to ready brass with 1 pull of the press handle.

I've been thinking about picking up a couple of these. What interests me a lot is the ability to resize + decap + run a mandrel through them. Very similar to SAC. Has anyone run them in this configuration? The price is comparable to SAC. Harrell's is another, which makes great dies, but requires an additional mandrel die step. However, with Micron, fired brass goes to ready brass with 1 pull of the press handle.

No first-hand experience myself, but I did come across a post by @Changed that indicated you can use Forster or Whidden expander stems on the Micron die (same thread pitch, apparently). Whidden offers their expander plugs in a variety of sizes for a given caliber, so that should open up some options for you if that's a direction you want to go.

Assuming the current versions of the Micron dies are the same as the version I bought two years ago, the thread pitch is the same as the Whidden and the RCBS decapping rods. I have the BR die, and I use the Whidden decapping stem with a Whidden .240 expander ball. I can post images if that would help. Bullet Central is now making a precision ground decapping/expanding mandrel. My setup results in less than .001 runout, so I have not purchased that item yet. I'll add, that my favorite part of this system is that I can place the expander closer to the bushing. I feel this results in better concentricity and consistency.

I had a Micron die a couple of years ago and had no complaints. Not sure if they made any changes since then, so I'm unaware of the ability to size, deprime, and mandrel all in 1 op. I've since moved to the SAC system. I really like the neck/shoulder bushings and the fact that they designed their die around performing all 3 ops with 1 press stroke.

If pricing is similar, I would just go with the SAC die.